• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Soundfont

Share/Bookmark

Soundfont

How come nobody here can explain to me why sound fonts sound with lower quality than Giga samples.
    They have a hiss.
    Is something wrong with the way I import them into GIga or is it a basic feature, lower quality?

Re: Soundfont

The Sounfont2 importer in Giga-Editor is lousy, it doesn\'t map correctly the filter/envelop/etc parameter. Perhaps no one cares much since he knows that the Giga will run best in the giga-sample format and you got what you paid.

The soundfont grand-piano is about 2MB with only 2 layers @ 12~20Khz-mono source (also very short sample time), while the gigapiano sample is 1GB-sample with about 16 layers @44.1khz stereo source. There wouldn\'t be further comparison could be made necessarily.
    When you already had piano in gig format, why you still need the soundfont? You just simply can not have all features and functionalities on any other sample formats (included Akai).

Of course, when you still want the soundfont library on the GigaStudio, you better invest into other translator programs. That\'s all.

[This message has been edited by LHong (edited 10-18-2001).]

One option, just keep one of your ports through the sequencer set for the soundfonts, instead of all of them using GStudio.

Soundfonts don\'t HAVE to be low qualtiy, but historical PC development dictates that many are.

When the soundfont format for PC soundblaster type cards was developed, every sample had to fit into the card\'s onboard ram. Many of these cards had a maximum ram allocation of about 2-4mb. Consider the fact that a single piano note sample can last twenty seconds or so which adds up to 4 or 5 meg alone!

It\'s simply not possible to fit a number of sounds into that small an amount of ram without compromising. Soundfont manufacturers did one or several of the following in order to \'fit\' a set of sounds in:

1. Use extremely short samples with very short loops early into the sound. Your 5 mb piano note doesn\'t sound as rich after the initial attack, but that might be covered by other instruments in an ensemble. Now you\'ve cut the sound down to about 1mb.

2. Map no more than one or two samples to the whole sound. Instead of 1.5 GIG of samples, you\'ve cut way back to 1 or 2 mb (if looped).

3. Take fewer samples of the sound per second. ie instead of 96 or 48 thousand samples per second, going down to 11,000. The highest useable frequency in a sample is usually regarded as about half the sampling frequency. Sample at 4khz/s and you have a maximum top end of 2khz. As you go lower n sampling rates, top end noise and distortion appear and the soundcard needs to filter that out selectively. Instead of using 1mb at 48khz, you use 250kb at 11khz.

4. Lower the bit rate of the recording - this affects the dynamic range of the sample. Whereas manufacturers are currently talking about the advantages of 24bit Vs 16bit recording, some soundfonts are recorded at very low bit rates, which can give a sound quite a \'grungy\' timbre.
    Instead of 250kb using 16bit recording, you can cut the sound down to 125khz at 8bit.

The final piano sound you have is not going to compete with the Gigapiano, even if you started with the same samples.

Having said all that, in the last couple of years Creative and others have opened up the ability of soundcards to access system ram, rather than just soundcard ram, and the limitations on soundcard developers have eased up quite a bit. Theoretically, there\'s nothing stopping someone making massive high quality libraries in soundfont format, but you must remember that soundfonts started life as a way to go \'beep\' or play nice big explosions in video games - it may not be most developers IDEAL format to aim for.

[This message has been edited by Chadwick (edited 10-18-2001).]

Where else can I get Protheus sounds?
    Some are great and they do not exist in GIga!
    And the reason why I need a translator is because there is no other way for me to play soundfonts but Giga.
    I use Cubase with Aark 24 card.
    Eilam

>>>Where else can I get Protheus sounds?
    Some are great and they do not exist in GIga!<<<
    Try the GM100/500 giga-sample, about $100 deal, it has similar 128 sounds + drumset. The Proteus soundfont sample is not even getting close to it!

[This message has been edited by LHong (edited 10-18-2001).]

I have a feeling htat those banks are just the original Waveforms inside the proteus and the virtuoso. They dont have all teh cool filters and effects that are added ontop of them. but thats jsut a guess.I haven\'t heard the soundfont banks.

------------------
    Really...I am an Idiot

I have some soundfonts EMU put out a couple years ago that cost me $20 for the disc. It had most of the sounds from the Proteus 2. I did an A-B comparison between my Proteus 2 module and these soundfonts and they were identical in quality even played through a Soundblaster Live. Maybe just a little extra hiss on the Soundblaster. I noticed that many of these sounds did not convert properly in GigaStudio and I gave up because of all the new sounds that came out. I still use a few sounds on Giga that converted properly - these are mostly pipe organ and orchestral percussion sounds. So it is possible to get decent sounding Soundfonts.

I have made it a sort of \"hobby\" collecting free SF2 files over the last year or so. They are hiding out at many sites. Many of the sounds out there are useless trash but some are very useable gems. I now have well over a gigabite of from-the-net SF2 files. As far as I can tell, they are all legal.

I use Chicken Systems Translator to convert the files to gig. The Giga editor does not do as good a job as Chicken System.

clueless

Thanks guys for all the answers.
    The conclusion is clear
    One needs the Chicken tranlator ...
    Eilam

Go Back to forum