• Register
  • Help

Topic: Piano substitute

Share/Bookmark

Piano substitute

Some people are saying that these electronics will replace the piano.
    I have been a piano tuner for 45 years, and my business is actually getting better, and I live in the most depressed state in America: Michigan. Believe it or not, the bulk of my business is grand pianos. I really believe that electronics are good for some applications, but it will be a long time before they replace the piano.

Re: Piano substitute

A piano tuner told me his business had decreased, however, the *quality* of his remaining work had improved - it's now mostly the really serious piano players who still have real pianos, and they tend to have good quality pianos.

Greg.

If you have the money and the space, nothing beats the real thing. Even with the advances in technology, that's likely to be the case for quite a while.

Of course you also need a detached home so neighbors won't mind you practicing.

Unfortunately, many of us have neither the money or the space for the real thing. And we live in apartments so we need the headphones to practice. The real thing just won't work for us.

Obviously no substitute! But...for those of us recording, not only do you need a great instrument ($20k?), but you also need a good sounding room, great mics, mic pres etc... It is for these reasons that my yammie upright stays in my living room and the digital substitutes get all the action in the studio.
    JP

If recording is your thing, real pianos are a nightmare to mic. This is where digital is the boss.

I have a Yamaha Clavinova and I think its great and I understood when I bought it that due to its keyboard action you were allowed to take music exam's on it because it was just like playing a real pianos.

Quote Originally Posted by pianolessonsonline View Post
    Some people are saying that these electronics will replace the piano.
    I have been a piano tuner for 45 years, and my business is actually getting better, and I live in the most depressed state in America: Michigan. Believe it or not, the bulk of my business is grand pianos. I really believe that electronics are good for some applications, but it will be a long time before they replace the piano.
    Damn right. And digital recording will never replace magnetic tape.

Quote Originally Posted by mysteryman View Post
    Damn right. And digital recording will never replace magnetic tape.
    Damn right. And magnetic tape will never replace little needle-scratches on a Bakelite cylinder.

And I know of a piano technician that decided to switch careers.

http://www.pianoteq.com/pianoteq3_pro

G

Go Back to forum