• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: StrangeLand

Share/Bookmark

StrangeLand

Here we have StrangeLand.mp3 ,from the Kabul Suite.

Best regards,
    sd cisco

Re: StrangeLand

Sounds desolated, lonely. The entrance of the orchestra with the strings is just great and you are building up the tension with a very catching melody, raising in pitch everytime. There is not bridge between the first entry and those down-bowed celli and basses. It is a bit sudden, but after getting accustomed to it great. Voices?!?!?! That lively ending must be the prelude to the next part, I am sure...... now it is fading away, with the harp.

Congratulations!!

Raymond

SD,
    A very intense and mysterious opening ... a great way to begin.
    The chord progressions are very cinematic and powerful. Continuing the Timpani as you have gives a drive and force to the work. Your very crafty at interesting repetition.

The sparse wind, violin, and marcato bass section contrasts beautifully. You've really captured an urgency. A very heroic end and gentle goodbye.

Great work!

M

"...Wiktor's a Jekyll-Hyde personality..." - Lycos Music
    http://www.miserymadebeautiful.com

Thank you very much Raymond! I wanted to convey a sense of culture shock with that sudden transition you mention. And the other general notion, to create a landscape of sorts, with wildly varied, but dangerous topography.
    Also Raymond, I listened to your Symphony # 1 - twice! and just got so nostalgic for old Europe, you have done a huge amount of work, I appreciate your contribution.
    Take care,
    sd cisco

Thank you Michael!!
    I am glad you liked it! I was concerned that I would get moving forward so furiously that I would leave StrangeLand behind, going for the latest-greatest instead, which did happen several times. I created it in the first 2 months with GPO - and BTW, I now have GPO4 and will be looking for comments on it from various and sundry and I am looking forward to being able to post something where it was used.
    Best regards,
    sd cisco

Quote Originally Posted by sd cisco View Post
    Thank you very much Raymond! I wanted to convey a sense of culture shock with that sudden transition you mention. And the other general notion, to create a landscape of sorts, with wildly varied, but dangerous topography.
    Also Raymond, I listened to your Symphony # 1 - twice! and just got so nostalgic for old Europe, you have done a huge amount of work, I appreciate your contribution.
    Take care,
    sd cisco
    One of those guys who had one hour of spare time (haha). Thank you for listening. You were successful picturing this landcape, it is indeed a strange land. I am curious about the rest, and then you must present all parts in one go. I also have some time left, you know.

Raymond

Yep, that "latest and greatest" urge can get us in trouble.
    You have much discipline and restraint to stay focused on your vision and true to the work.

M

Quote Originally Posted by sd cisco View Post
    Thank you Michael!!
    I am glad you liked it! I was concerned that I would get moving forward so furiously that I would leave StrangeLand behind, going for the latest-greatest instead, which did happen several times. I created it in the first 2 months with GPO - and BTW, I now have GPO4 and will be looking for comments on it from various and sundry and I am looking forward to being able to post something where it was used.
    Best regards,
    sd cisco
    "...Wiktor's a Jekyll-Hyde personality..." - Lycos Music
    http://www.miserymadebeautiful.com

Hi SD - I liked this. The beginning really does build up the tension. One thing I think you should do is have links to the other parts of your Kabul Suite you have completed already. This will allow people to go back to see how this fits in.

Very well done.
    Trent P. McDonald

Thumbs up Re: StrangeLand

hi SD,

oh wow, wow, wow!

This piece really did transport me to a strange land, and a delightfully dramatic one. I love the violin and oboe over the cello trio. And toward the end when the orchestra came in, and then the chorus swelled on top of it, I felt faint. I hear your deft use of modulations, and realize I have so much to learn!

I am listening to this again. It sends shivers up my spine.

Bravo SD!

Karen

I forgot to mention one thing, and it is a small detail. I am listening to this through good stereo headphones (audio-technica monitor headphones).

In the parts of the piece where duet/trio action is happening, the instruments are totally left or right as far as I can tell. In a performance situation, one would hear a little bit of a left-placed instrument on the right and vice versa. This may not be a concern to you, it is just something I noticed. But this in no way detracts from the bravos!

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast