• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: GPO4/ARIA: "Turn of the Rotator"

Share/Bookmark

GPO4/ARIA: "Turn of the Rotator"

Here's a short slow melancholy piece of music featuring GPO4 (inc the SAM brass patches) and the Garritan Stradivari (on KP2 player). As an experiment I used the Aria EQ on almost all instruments using the 'controversial' eq slotting method (see other threads for full debate).

www.l-music.co.uk/AriaRotator.mp3

Re: GPO4/ARIA: "Turn of the Rotator"

L0W,

First, very beautiful writing.
    Your sound mastering technique works quite well. And the EQ sounds very professional.

Great work.
    M
    "...Wiktor's a Jekyll-Hyde personality..." - Lycos Music
    http://www.miserymadebeautiful.com

Very pretty. Not sure how the title relates, though...
    Trent P. McDonald

Beautiful work, L0W - Easy to see that GPO4 is already inspiring you.

"Turn of the Rotator"--is that a reference to turning those EQ knobs you refer to as "controversial?" --I thought I'd been keeping up on posts about GPO4--but not sure what "other threads" you're talking about where using Aria's EQ is debated - ?

Please allow me two tech observations:

--I found some overlapping low frequencies to be competing at times, making for some slightly ambiguous, mushy moments. Does that make sense?

--It sounded like the vibrato on The Strad was almost always engaged, rather than coming in after a note is established, which is more like how a violinist plays his instrument.

The somber, almost funereal mood of the piece synchronized with my rather serious mood today--I really enjoyed listening.

Randy

I'll leave tech talk to others, L0W.

Just plain beautiful work... gorgeous writing
    without pretense, no wasted notes; with
    thematic material that cannot but leave one
    moved.

With applause -- but quietly, not to break
    the mood,

David
    -----
    David Sosnowski
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

I think I would echo a bit of both Randy and David on this, a sentimental and restful composition.
    Keep it up!
    Best regards,
    sd cisco

Lovely writing, L0W! I thoroughly enjoyed listening... though in a melancholy way.
    Maybe I should have come up with a more original username.

I was thunder struck with the opening statement. I ended up holding my breath the whole way through. I can tell you can really hear the universe singing to you. It is as beautiful as the most beautiful spiral galaxy. This is realy music, not contrived and guessed at. It is music from the heart of a passionate soul. I am moved and honored by it. The piano painter and the rest was the cosmic scene painted with sound. Loved it.
    Samantha Penigar
    http://www.myspace.com/samanthapenigar

http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/...p?userid=13306

Dream it! Then Do it! Good things come to those who work while they wait. [COLOR=purple]Persistence[/COLO

LOW,

That is a beautiful song. Nice job all the way around.
    Producer ~ Sound Engineer ~ Musician

http://www.myspace.com/451525581

Quote Originally Posted by michael a wiktor View Post
    Your sound mastering technique works quite well. And the EQ sounds very professional.
    Thanks a lot Michael for taking time to listen and comment. I’m delighted at how easy using Aria EQ is and how well it fits into workflow compared to the previous options available via KP2.

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser View Post
    --I found some overlapping low frequencies to be competing at times, making for some slightly ambiguous, mushy moments. Does that make sense?
    Thanks Randy. I was referring to the Harbal thread (surely not already forgotten?) Part of it got side-tracked into discussing eq slotting. Ironically EQ slotting is supposed to eliminate those pesky overlapping frequencies! Back to the DAWing board…….

Quote Originally Posted by cellist View Post
    Lovely writing, L0W! I thoroughly enjoyed listening... though in a melancholy way.

Thanks for taking the trouble to listen and feedback Cellist – what instrument DO you play?

Quote Originally Posted by sd sisco View Post
    think I would echo a bit of both Randy and David on this, a sentimental and restful composition.
    Quote Originally Posted by sd sisco View Post
    Keep it up!
    Thanks SD - much appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by etlux View Post
    With applause -- but quietly, not to break
    Quote Originally Posted by etlux View Post
    the mood,
    Thanks David for listening and avoiding the temptation of a slow handclap (which is my usual reception!)

Quote Originally Posted by samantha View Post
    I was thunder struck with the opening statement. I ended up holding my breath the whole way through. I can tell you can really hear the universe singing to you. It is as beautiful as the most beautiful spiral galaxy. This is realy music, not contrived and guessed at. It is music from the heart of a passionate soul. I am moved and honored by it. The piano painter and the rest was the cosmic scene painted with sound. Loved it.
    Don’t you just love it when the review is actually better written than the piece! Thanks Samantha for those words – they make me want to write a song worthy of them!

Quote Originally Posted by hippie View Post
    That is a beautiful song. Nice job all the way around.
    Thanks a lot Hippie – symphony for Fender bass in E coming up next.

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast