• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: GPO 4 Aria Settings In Sonar

Share/Bookmark

GPO 4 Aria Settings In Sonar

I shall be using GPO 4 Aria in Sonar and would just like to double check my understanding of the settings.

I should also add that I will be using Altiverb.

Sends - All zero? I need all my instruments 'dry' and let Altiverb handle the ambience?

Panning - Set all at centre and use Sonar's panning or would it be better to set the panning in Aria .. or doesn't it matter?

Auto Legato - Keep this switched on? Not sure about this, should this be switched off too?

Stereo stage - Switch off? Again, to let Altiverb handle the sound stage or is Aria's 'Stereo Stage' a different concept and if left on would this compliment Altiverb or confuse everything?

Ambience - Switch off? I would prefer to use Altiverb's IR's for my room settings.

Are there any other settings I haven't mentioned that I need to take into account when working with Aria in sonar.

I'd appreciate any input.

Many thanks.
    Michael
    Patience is a virtue, sensitivity is a gift

Re: GPO 4 Aria Settings In Sonar

Hiya, Michael - Here's my version of some answers:

Quote Originally Posted by Michael_uk View Post
    I shall be using GPO 4 Aria in Sonar and would just like to double check my understanding of the settings.

Sends - All zero? I need all my instruments 'dry' and let Altiverb handle the ambience?
    Most people using an app like Sonar will want to be bypassing Ambience so that their favorite reverbs can be used and controlled inside Sonar. So I would definitely keep the instruments dry and use the more sophisticated Altiverb in Sonar.

Panning - Set all at centre and use Sonar's panning or would it be better to set the panning in Aria .. or doesn't it matter?
    Recording ala the DPDAN approved method would have Aria's panning at center so you can again control things inside Sonar. DPDAN would go further and have instruments recorded at center so the panning is done with the audio tracks.

Auto Legato - Keep this switched on? Not sure about this, should this be switched off too?
    This one is trickier. I prefer the sound of the traditional pedal controlled Garritan Legato, and the manual points out that AL isn't intended to totally replace that. BUT, the solo instruments which used to be monophonic now aren't--So you'll find that passages that used to sound fine, with the results sounding like a true solo now won't sound right if your overlapping of notes is very pronounced--you'll have that doubled note sound previously only heard on the Player and ensemble instruments. AL automatically switches insruments to monophonic playback - which is good, if you are happy enough with the resulting legato. Notice that in Aria you don't have the option to control the polyphony of an instrument like in KP2 - so you can't just reduce the number of notes played to one.
    Stereo stage - Switch off? Again, to let Altiverb handle the sound stage or is Aria's 'Stereo Stage' a different concept and if left on would this compliment Altiverb or confuse everything?
    That's worthy of experimenting. The stereo stage does a nice blurring of an instrument's position which results in a fuller sound - but whether or not it conflicts with your Altiverb would be something for you to test out.
    Ambience - Switch off? I would prefer to use Altiverb's IR's for my room settings.
    Same answer as above - well, since your sends will be to zero it doesn't matter if Ambience is on or not--it won't be effecting the tracks.
    Are there any other settings I haven't mentioned that I need to take into account when working with Aria in sonar.
    The volume levels are different than in KP2 and will also call for experimenting. I think the best method is to get the hottest signal possible for each instrument coming out of Aria, and handling the volume control in Sonar.

Have fun!
    Randy

Hello Randy,

Good of you to call by and thanks for your replies. It's much appreciated.

Loking forward to playing with this.
    Michael

Sends - All zero?
    correct

I need all my instruments 'dry' and let Altiverb handle the ambience?
    correct

Panning - Set all at centre and use Sonar's panning
    correct

or would it be better to set the panning in Aria .. or doesn't it matter?
    it does matter, and you don't want to use the panning in the ARIA player anywhere but centered for ALL instruments.

Auto Legato - Keep this switched on?
    yes, but it should only be used for instruments that are playing one note at a time. This can be controlled more accurately with the use of the sustain pedal, (cc64) but you should really read the part of the manual that discusses how Auto Legato can be used and controlled for the best musical sound.

Stereo stage - Switch off? Again, to let Altiverb handle the sound stage or is Aria's 'Stereo Stage' a different concept
    it is a similar concept, but does not provide nearly the natural effect that can be achieved with proper use of Altiverb's stage positioning.

and if left on would this compliment Altiverb or confuse everything?
    it would not confuse anything, but in my opinion, it should be turned off on all instruments.

Ambience should be turned off on all instances.

I'd appreciate any input.

Many thanks.
    I recommend recording mono instruments to mono audio tracks, and stereo instruments to stereo tracks.

Dan

I should know better than to post when you are using Sonar. I have not read Randy's post so I'm sorry if there is any redundant or conflicting information.

Dan

No problem, Dan - Your replies seemed just fine, and helped underscore the answers I previously typed out. Reinforcement is good!

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by DPDAN View Post
    I should know better than to post when you are using Sonar. I have not read Randy's post so I'm sorry if there is any redundant or conflicting information.

Dan
    Hello Dan,

I'm certainly glad you did post and I don't see any redundant or conflicting information at all.

I think Randy's post and your post compliment and support each other perfectly.

To have two such knowledgeable and experienced people helping out is a gold-mine. What a fabulous forum we have.
    Michael

I recently visited another forum with similar discussions about fake orchestras and one guy opended up a can o' whoopass on me over Rhapsody in Blue and how unmusical it was.
    Gunther had posted a link to it and after almost 150 posts in two days, virtually everyone turned the can on the naysayer. It got so bad the post was deleted.

Some of the adjectives the guy used were...
    mutilated,
    violated,
    raped,
    perverse,
    offensive,
    a truly abysmal incarnation,
    monstrosities onto the world,
    painfully amateuristic Kury turd,

We have no clue here about how disgusting some people can be with their words.
    We got it good here.

I'm Glad we are both able to help.
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by DPDAN View Post
    I recently visited another forum with similar discussions about fake orchestras and one guy opended up a can o' whoopass on me over Rhapsody in Blue and how unmusical it was.
    Gunther had posted a link to it and after almost 150 posts in two days, virtually everyone turned the can on the naysayer. It got so bad the post was deleted.

Some of the adjectives the guy used were...
    mutilated,
    violated,
    raped,
    perverse,
    offensive,
    a truly abysmal incarnation,
    monstrosities onto the world,
    painfully amateuristic Kury turd,

We have no clue here about how disgusting some people can be with their words.
    We got it good here.

I'm Glad we are both able to help.
    Dan
    I'm saddened to read this Dan. Jealousy comes to mind. It's easy for me to say 'walk away from it' but I know how hurtful this can be .. even for a pro.

I think so many people have enjoyed 'Rhapsody in Blue' and appreciated your work and expertise.

Keep up the good work.
    Michael

thanks Michael, it definitely made a rough day for me, but I got over it quickly.

Go Back to forum