• Register
  • Help

Topic: Cross-over between KP2 and GPO4 in Finale, questions

Share/Bookmark

Cross-over between KP2 and GPO4 in Finale, questions

Very exciting times here in Garritan World, and it's even prompted me to post my first topic in ages.

My question, er, questions are mainly about Finale.

First of all, is GPO4 vst-compatible with Finale 2008, since that's what I'm using?

My situation is, I'm in the middle of a fairly massive project, at least 14 Finale files long so far, all using full GPO library (plus some Finale Garritan sounds) in KP2.

How does upgrading to GPO4 affect my project? So let's say I've made the upgrade, and then I go and open one of my aforementioned files - what happens? and if nothing happens, how do I get the files to load in Aria/GPO4?

As Denzel Washington says in Philadelphia, "explain this to me like I'm a 4-year-old"

thank you thank you

josh

Re: Cross-over between KP2 and GPO4 in Finale, questions

Hello Josh,

I'm not sure that I can be of much help in this case as I use Finale 2010. If I remember correctly, Finale 08 plays the Garritan instruments through KP2 and not Aria. Also, Finale 08 does not have full VST support so I doubt that it will host the latest GPO 4 with Aria. I may be wrong on this so if anyone has tried GPO 4 with Finale 08 please let us know.

Just to let you know that opening a previous project with Aria (using Finale 2010) was straight forward. All I had to do was open a score, then load the instruments into the Aria player and everything played back. Alternatively, you could use the Finale Setup wizard to prepare a score template using Aria keeping the exact layout of your previous score. Then copy and paste whole scores into your template.

I realise that this could be time consuming but apart from this, the actual process was fairly straight forward. Other users may have other methods for transferring from KP2 scorres to Aria.

If it is possible and within your means, I would strongly suggest that now is the time to upgrade to Finale 2010.

Sorry if this hasn't been of much help to you.
    Michael
    Patience is a virtue, sensitivity is a gift

Finale 2008 is only Native-Instruments VST compatible, so you will not be able to plug in anything that is not Native-Instruments.

However, you can turn on your inter-application ports (Go to MIDI setup in the MIDI menu and click 'turn on inter-application ports') and then configure Aria to take the input from Finale through those virtual MIDI ports. However, I don't recommend this. I have to use it sometimes, but it comes at a price. Finale's engine is very inefficient - it maxes out (constant 100% usage) your processor all the time, or the first core of a multicore processor. This means that it can cause problems for other applications that are running - meaning that you'll hear clicks and pops occasionally. These will be more aggressive the larger the project is.

Finale does much better with things that are running as plugins - so you might want to upgrade. Whether you use Finale or Sibelius, you always have to pay your dues and upgrade for just one more feature . The pricing shouldn't be too terrible for you either.

Hope this helps,
    Tyler

Josh - Another reason that it could be a headache to adapt a project-in-progress to Aria is that the default volume levels are different for each instrument than they were in KP2. You'd be doing a Lot of trial and error experimentation to approximate what you had going before.

Randy

Randy, Tyler, and Michael - thank you for replying, it is all very helpful info. I will most likely hold off for a little bit until I finish my current project, as I am liking my results in finale 2008 and KP2. Then it's Finale 2010 and GPO4 all the way!

Josh

Go Back to forum