• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: what controller do you use?

Share/Bookmark

what controller do you use?

Hi all, I'm just getting back to GPO with release of GPO4.
    Messing around with it and loving it.

My problem is, I had an Alesis QS8 synth that I used as a controller and donated to my childrens' school. I brought a Studiologic VMX188plus.
    Really good action, but the sustain pedal has to be activated for each
    MIDI channel. So when I want Channel two active I have to enter Edit screen on the VMX188plus controller. Not a biggie but a nuisance. So I would like to use the VMX188plus more for piano and get a smaller MIDI controller.
    What does the community use here.

How about the new Novation keyboards or will the Edirol PCR series work?
    I'm using Sonar 8pre as my DAW of choice.

Thanks in advance

Ed

Re: what controller do you use?

Hi, Ed - What I have is a question about the behavior of your Studiologic VMX188plus. I don't think I've ever heard of a controller working like that - Isn't there an Omni setting so that the sustain works on all 16 MIDI channels? In Sonar you only need to select Omni as the input - it's the MIDI channel selection for each instrument at the Out box which is important. - So if your keyboard can transmit on Omni, and I've never heard of one that doesn't , the problem you outlined would disappear.

Randy

No the Studiologic doesn't have Omni like the Alesis QS8. Only has
    MIDI options:
    none, 1-16. With loading instruments like Rapture, DimPro only one instance
    for each so no problem with Sonar omni setting.
    Not so with GPO.
    If I'm missing something, I don't know what. I love the action on the Studiologic board.

Thanks for responding

Ed

Hey Ed--I take it you've tried the "None" selection?

EDIT:
    I've done some Googling--This is a major keyboard you have, listing at close to $1,000, though more readily available around $700. It has excellent reviews, is supposed to have very comprehensive MIDI implementation - there has to be something you're missing with that problem you described.

Meanwhile--to answer your question. I use a very humble Mk-4902 that I bought used for $50. I've tried keyboards owned by friends who have paid a Lot of money for their boards - they're nice, but when it gets down to recording MIDI tracks, my personal opinion is that it doesn't matter what you use. You just need switches (keys) that trigger notes. For me the magic of MIDI is all in the editing - I don't care how rough the original input is. $50 keyboard does me fine!

RB

In Sonar none is omni and it doens't work.
    The problem I'm seeing is the controller only stores the information for one
    MIDI channel at a time. I would have to use another preset for Channel two. etc... and them I'm changing dials just as much.
    Seems lame that way. Maybe I'm missing something, I sure hope so.

As far as the controller. The action is great for piano and I got it for a really good price.

Ed

M-audio also has some midi controllers...

the 61 key Axiom or Axiom Pro series,

or 88 key keystation

http://www.m-audio.com/index.php?do=...ardcontrollers

that you can test to see if you like the action

I have the smaller older keystation, and it is NOT good, which is why I ended up buying a stage piano/midi controller/synth...

Quote Originally Posted by instred View Post
    In Sonar none is omni and it doens't work.
    The problem I'm seeing is the controller only stores the information for one
    MIDI channel at a time. I would have to use another preset for Channel two. etc... and them I'm changing dials just as much.
    Seems lame that way. Maybe I'm missing something, I sure hope so...Ed
    Hello again, Ed - I see - It must be that you're using presets on the keyboard, something I've never dealt with. My simple keyboard doesn't have controller presets. It just has a programmable mod wheel and sustain pedal, both of which are ready to do their thing on whatever track I point it to. With those basics, wheel and pedal, seems like there would be a way in this fancy keyboard to just have them always available, bypassing the need to program them into presets - All sounds very - fiddley. Hmm.

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by instred View Post

How about the new Novation keyboards or will the Edirol PCR series work?
    I'm using Sonar 8pre as my DAW of choice.

Thanks in advance

Ed
    Hi Ed,

I use the Novation ReMote 37SL with Reason 4.0 and particularly like the auto mapping feature. I imagine it would work similarly for Sonar as well.

In Reason, the keyboard quickly and automatically maps to each of its 32 devices and sequencer transport panel, displaying the most often used controls of each device in up to 16 LCD value screens. In more complex devices, there are menu layers to cover most of the knobs, etc. of each device. This saves a lot of time in mapping midi controllers, and makes it much more convenient to tweak at the keyboard, rather than using a mouse on your computer monitor. I just click on a device and it is automatically mapped and displayed on the keyboard.

There are a couple of cons for this keyboard. If you want to assign an unassigned controller for a device, you can’t. If you want to reassign a controller, it will work for accurately displaying its value, but will retain the same name of the original control. These annoyances are minor, as only seldom-used controls are not always mapped. However, I am not sure if this has been changed in their upgraded software for ReMote. Also, I have never used the extensive configuration control software, which may be useful for advanced midi users.

One last annoyance is the rubber buttons, for on/off control – they tend to stick sometimes in the panel and need to be fidgeted to have them pop up again. Otherwise, I like this keyboard and also use the ReMote Zero, which has the major control knobs, etc., but not the keyboard.

The Novation ReMotes only go up to 61 keys, so if you prefer more keys, the ReMote Zero might be a good option for you, if you prefer tweaking controllers while looking at your keyboard, instead of your computer monitor.

Regards,
    Dominick
    Wider is better.

Kurzweil PC2 X - but I've more or less destroyed the action, which was too light anyway, with constant daily playing of Bach's Well Tempered Clavier book. So I would not recommend it as a controller.

I have my keyboard MIDI output set to Channel 1. Sonar is set to MIDI Omni. I've never had any issues with this for recording.

Jim

Go Back to forum