• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: My Upcoming Peaceful Retreat

Share/Bookmark

My Upcoming Peaceful Retreat

Mount Angel Abbey - St. Benedict, Oregon
    (click the picture for website)

This is the venue for a retreat I'll be on for 4 days, starting tomorrow morning.

Like an unexpected, surprise gift, the idea of taking a quiet retreat instead of a more traditional vacation just popped in my head recently. The beautiful surroundings at Mount Angel, Oregon immediately occurred to me as the perfect place to go. I have fond memories of visiting there when I was in High School, drinking goat's milk with the monks who live at the hilltop monastery, joining them in their services at the beautiful abbey, and simply feeling the calm that envelopes the entire location.

I need a head-clearing time of quiet, away from the internet, TV, cell phones and daily obligations. I've found myself wound tighter than usual recently, and that's effected everything I do in Real Life and online.

I'll be in a private room with a beautiful view and only a few essential items. A journal and pen will be at hand. There's a fascinating library I can visit. I'll be on the same strict meal schedule as the permanent residents there. I'll walk the winding paths through the lovely grounds and nearby forests. - I can hardly wait for this period of peaceful, silent contemplation.

If you click the picture of the abbey, you'll be taken to the beautiful Mount Angel website. It's open to the page about The Retreat House where I'll be housed, and you'll meet Friar Edmund, my host.

Catholic friends here at the Forum will be especially interested in the site's pages about the library, the monastery and the history of St. Benedict which is an incorporated town apart from the town of Mount Angel itself.

This will keep me away from the Forum until Friday. I wish for everyone a great time here in the fellowship of our online community of musicians. I look forward to hearing more pieces done with GPO4 as everyone gets more familiar with Gary's great upgrade.

Peace to all.

Randy B.

Re: My Upcoming Peaceful Retreat

Hello Randy,

I hope you enjoy the peacefulness and calm and have a good rest. No doubt you'll return with your batteries fully recharged and raring to go.

All the best.
    Michael
    Patience is a virtue, sensitivity is a gift

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post

Mount Angel Abbey - St. Benedict, Oregon
    (click the picture for website)

This is the venue for a retreat I'll be on for 4 days, starting tomorrow morning.

Like an unexpected, surprise gift, the idea of taking a quiet retreat instead of a more traditional vacation just popped in my head recently. The beautiful surroundings at Mount Angel, Oregon immediately occurred to me as the perfect place to go. I have fond memories of visiting there when I was in High School, drinking goat's milk with the monks who live at the hilltop monastery, joining them in their services at the beautiful abbey, and simply feeling the calm that envelopes the entire location.

I need a head-clearing time of quiet, away from the internet, TV, cell phones and daily obligations. I've found myself wound tighter than usual recently, and that's effected everything I do in Real Life and online.

I'll be in a private room with a beautiful view and only a few essential items. A journal and pen will be at hand. There's a fascinating library I can visit. I'll be on the same strict meal schedule as the permanent residents there. I'll walk the winding paths through the lovely grounds and nearby forests. - I can hardly wait for this period of peaceful, silent contemplation.

If you click the picture of the abbey, you'll be taken to the beautiful Mount Angel website. It's open to the page about The Retreat House where I'll be housed, and you'll meet Friar Edmund, my host.

Catholic friends here at the Forum will be especially interested in the site's pages about the library, the monastery and the history of St. Benedict which is an incorporated town apart from the town of Mount Angel itself.

This will keep me away from the Forum until Friday. I wish for everyone a great time here in the fellowship of our online community of musicians. I look forward to hearing more pieces done with GPO4 as everyone gets more familiar with Gary's great upgrade.

Peace to all.

Randy B.
    Man, talk about a crazy coincidence. I just pressed the Submit Reply button for my new thread and I immediately looked at the forum to see if it was at the top row (less than 2 seconds later) and no it was not 1st but 2nd, Randy's thread was up there, we must of pressed the submit button almost at the same time. So I read his thread and fell of my chair...

Here's the crazy part: Not this coming Monday but the next one, I'll be doing a similar 4-day silent retreat in a beautiful center in the country just like Randy. I too will arrive Monday and leave Friday and I'm doing the retreat for the same reasons as Randy's (getting away from traditional vacation, head spinning, too much going on). The idea has also "popped" in my head from nowhere. I was planing to have only paper and pen while retreating away from the computer, the Web and all other distractions, just like Randy.

I could write my name at the bottom of Randy's post (and change the name of the retreat place) and it would match my situation.

What a coincidence, life works in mysterious ways!!!

Have a nice retreat Randy.

NDEE

I have done the same thing at St. Meinrad in southern Indiana.
    It was more relaxation than I knew what to do with!!
    Perhaps it's time for another one .

Snor
    Jim Williams
    Professor of Capitalism
    N9EJR
    Indianapolis Brass Choir
    All Your Bass Sus&Short Are Belong to Us.

That is so funny Jim.

After I read Randy's post, it made me think of St. Meinrad ( I have stopped there for a short while long ago) and I was looking it up to see what they had to offer.

Wait - some of us Indiana Garritan forum folks could get together there and then we could work on this and that and talk and . . . . wait - I guess that would negate the reason for going to a peaceful retreat and . . . never mind.
    MacPro 2.66 - Tiger & Snow Leopard / 16GB RAM / several TB of HD space/ Garritan Libraries / EWQLSO Platinum PLAY / Omnisphere/ Kontakt 2 & 3 / Finale 2010 /DP5/ a VERY patient wife!

Quote Originally Posted by indianamusic View Post
    That is so funny Jim.

After I read Randy's post, it made me think of St. Meinrad ( I have stopped there for a short while long ago) and I was looking it up to see what they had to offer.

Wait - some of us Indiana Garritan forum folks could get together there and then we could work on this and that and talk and . . . . wait - I guess that would negate the reason for going to a peaceful retreat and . . . never mind.
    Hi...understand you met my buddy Mark in Terre Haute!!
    We'd cause too much of a ruckus for that place, indeed!!

Jim
    Jim Williams
    Professor of Capitalism
    N9EJR
    Indianapolis Brass Choir
    All Your Bass Sus&Short Are Belong to Us.

Michael, thanks for your note. Besides getting rested up and re-energized, everyone I come in contact will benefit from me being more relaxed and focused. I'll be so ready to just spread SUUUuunshine all over the place!

NDEE - REMARKable! What a synchronistic thing - You know, I think a lot of people are feeling more tension nowadays, worries about the world, unease about politics, the economy et al--It can only help the entire planet out if more people take the time to acknowledge that they can contribute to life in a better way if they will just stop and re-focus themselves once in awhile with some meditative down time. Have a great retreat!

Charles and Snor!---hehehe--Funny - Thanks for the smiles.

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post
    [B]
    NDEE - REMARKable! What a synchronistic thing - You know, I think a lot of people are feeling more tension nowadays, worries about the world, unease about politics, the economy et al--It can only help the entire planet out if more people take the time to acknowledge that they can contribute to life in a better way if they will just stop and re-focus themselves once in awhile with some meditative down time. Have a great retreat!

Randy
    Thanks Randy.

Re-focus is indeed the plan.

Usually when synchronicity occurs it's kind of confirming that you are doing the right thing or going on the right path. It always amazes me (and inspires me) when it happens.

Regards,

NDEE

Yes, I agree, NDEE. I'm glad I put this little post up to let my Forum friends know why I'll be not online this coming week. I feel that some members in particular may be heartened to know that I realize my current somewhat frazzled state of mind has been unfortunately seeping into some of my posts. I want to regain a stronger, better centered and more grounded Self again so that I'm more apt to have enriching exchanges with everyone I meet.

Randy

Randy, does this mean you will have a new avatar when you come back?
    Yes, I have too much time on my hands

Have a good time seriously!
    Dan

Go Back to forum