• Register
  • Help

Topic: matching ambience's ambience

Share/Bookmark

matching ambience's ambience

does anyone (particularly with insider information) know if we can match gpo4's internal reverb settings with settings on the ambience plug in itself, or have things changed internally that would make this impossible? it would be great to have a set of ambience presets with matching names to the aria presets in order to use the same reverb across all instruments (not just tose in gpo4).

aria is great btw. at first i was apprehensive at having a mixer inside the player itself, but it really goes a long way in keeping things organized. plus being able to see which articulation/ks is currently active = gold. thanks for that!

Re: matching ambience's ambience

Quote Originally Posted by scientist View Post
    does anyone (particularly with insider information) know if we can match gpo4's internal reverb settings with settings on the ambience plug in itself, or have things changed internally that would make this impossible? it would be great to have a set of ambience presets with matching names to the aria presets in order to use the same reverb across all instruments (not just tose in gpo4).

aria is great btw. at first i was apprehensive at having a mixer inside the player itself, but it really goes a long way in keeping things organized. plus being able to see which articulation/ks is currently active = gold. thanks for that!
    Hi, Scientist - I'm not quite following what you're asking--GPO4's internal reverb Is the Ambience plugin. You mean scripting of some sort?---But no matter what you did, you wouldn't be able to get the plugin to effect instruments not inside Aria - so--?

If you're using a DAW like Sonar, I would recommend bypassing Aria so you can use your reverbs of choice inside your project, and you could control better how all the instruments in your project will be processed.

Apprehensive about there being a mixer?--But the Kontakt Player also featured a mixer--it wasn't as intuitive for users though.

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post
    Hi, Scientist - I'm not quite following what you're asking--GPO4's internal reverb Is the Ambience plugin. You mean scripting of some sort?---But no matter what you did, you wouldn't be able to get the plugin to effect instruments not inside Aria - so--?

If you're using a DAW like Sonar, I would recommend bypassing Aria so you can use your reverbs of choice inside your project, and you could control better how all the instruments in your project will be processed.

Apprehensive about there being a mixer?--But the Kontakt Player also featured a mixer--it wasn't as intuitive for users though.

Randy
    Randy;
    Better to use the reverb inside Aria, uses less memory than if I were to use those in Cubase or probably Sonar, same was true for the Kontakt player.

sd cisco

ambience is available in its original form as a vst plug in, so thus is available outside of aria. what i'm wondering is:
    1. do the two (aria and non-aria) give the same results with the same settings or is the aria version dumbed down or modified in some way?
    2. if the algorithm is identical, is it possible for garritan or magnus to release a collection of presets for the regular version that match the ones in the aria version.

re: the mixer...its more regarding having it as the primary interface screen. didn't like it at first, but got used to it quickly.

Thanks Sd and Scientist - I get you better now, Scientist - I didn't understand you were asking about the two different versions of Ambience. That's an interesting question, how much this Aria version is like the original--I don't know.

Sd, our mixing guru here, DPDAN, has already checked in on this topic and we're in complete agreement: If someone is using an app like Sonar, what you really want to do is bring your signals in dry, bypassing Ambience. It may not be as CPU efficient, but you'll have much more control over your mix.

For one thing, most people have reverbs they prefer to use--And any convolution plugin, like the free S.I.R. sounds better than Ambience.

For the other - the effected signals for ALL the instruments in Aria only come out of stereo pair one!---if you have an instrument in that first slot, it'll have all the reverb of the rest of the instruments piled on top of it--not a very good signal to work with in your project.

So, highly recommended that if you're working in a sequencer, get your signals into that app as unaffected as possible, and use the more powerful tools there, including the more advanced reverbs. In fact, that's exactly what the designers of Aria have recommended.

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post
    For the other - the effected signals for ALL the instruments in Aria only come out of stereo pair one!
    that settles that!: no built in reverb for me. thanks for the info!

The logic in the design is that it'll work great for notation users, since they're only able to use the first stereo out.

It'll be much better for you, Scientist, having dry signals in your sequencer, and then doing everything you want inside the project, basically using Aria just as the conduit to get sound into your app.

Randy

Go Back to forum