• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Topic: Question to Dan Kury - Altiverb

Share/Bookmark

Question to Dan Kury - Altiverb

Hi Dan,

I am about to order Altiverb. Does it come with a manual clear enough for this "digital dumbo'' to have some satisfaction from it?

Raymond

Re: Question to Dan Kury - Altiverb

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond62 View Post
    Hi Dan,

I am about to order Altiverb. Does it come with a manual clear enough for this "digital dumbo'' to have some satisfaction from it?

Raymond
    Hello Raymond,

I expect Dan will reply later but just to let you know I acquired Altiverb last year. I actually tried using it in a basic way without a glance at the manual; it was so straight forward.

For more involved use, I studied the manual and found it very clear and informative with plenty of diagrams and illustrations.

All in all I'm very pleased I bought it. The only downside of what is really an excellent product is, and it is obviously my own opinion, the PACE copy protection. There are movements on the internet calling for a boycott of this. However, Altiverb is, I think, the best of its kind so there it is.

Looking forward to Dan's reply.
    Michael
    Patience is a virtue, sensitivity is a gift

Hi guys!

Raymond, I bought it so long ago I don't remember it having a manual, but it most likely does tough... here's what I will do...

I am going to make an Altiverb tutorial, actually it will be a few separate movies to keep the video size reasonable. It will show every feature, and how to use them. I won't describe making your own IR's, although it is easy to do.

It's high time

Raymond, it is amazing software and you will be awed at it.
    I bought an iLok (USB key) and my authorization is on it, I can use Altiverb on any of my computers PC, Mac, laptop etc.

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by DPDAN View Post
    ..... I won't describe making your own IR's, although it is easy to do.
    Dan
    Hello Dan,

I would like to make my own IR of the church I grew up with. From what I can recall, I think only the Mac version of Altiverb presently offers the capability of making our own IR's.

When (and if ) you have the time, I would be really interested in finding out how to do this with a PC.

Thanks.
    Michael
    Patience is a virtue, sensitivity is a gift

Hi guys!
    ...I am going to make an Altiverb tutorial, actually it will be a few separate movies to keep the video size reasonable. It will show every feature, and how to use them. I won't describe making your own IR's, although it is easy to do.

It's high time

Dan
    WOW! Very cool, Dan!

If you plan to write a book called "mixing" with video examples, I am sure it would be a top seller! Think about this my friend!

Best,

Gunther
    "Music is the shorthand of emotion." Leo Tolstoy

Listen to me, tuning my triangle http://www.box.net/shared/ae822u6r3i

Hi guys!

Raymond, I bought it so long ago I don't remember it having a manual, but it most likely does tough...

Finally justice to the Dutch guys. We are great

Altiverb is from a Dutch company, for those who doesn't know this.....

Raymond -Oh I almost forgot, Thank you for the replies...... all of you.

Quote Originally Posted by germancomponist View Post
    If you plan to write a book called "mixing" with video examples, I am sure it would be a top seller! Think about this my friend!
    I'd be there like a shot!!
    David

Me too!!
    I think that a book written by Dan about mixing would be a SUPER best-seller. I know I would buy one! (only if it were autographed though)! LOL

Jerry
    MacBook Pro Intel Core 2 Duo 2.5ghz 4GB Ram OSX 10.5.8
    Korg TritonLe & MAudio Oxygen 8
    T3, Logic 9, DP7, K2, GPO4, Strad, Gofriller, C&MB, Finale 2010

My Website!
    New Film Scores!
    Also, Ever think about having your very own personal documentary? See my new Website!
    http://www.mylegacyfilm.com

Quote Originally Posted by Michael_uk View Post
    Hello Dan,

I would like to make my own IR of the church I grew up with. From what I can recall, I think only the Mac version of Altiverb presently offers the capability of making our own IR's.

When (and if ) you have the time, I would be really interested in finding out how to do this with a PC.

Thanks.
    Michael, there are a number of resources on the web that detail the process of making an IR. I don't know the specifics of Altiverb, or what is required to get the various "soundstage" settings that Altiverb is famous for. But, making a simple stereo IR requires nothing more than a sound source (either for an impulse, like a starter pistol, or something capable of playing back a swept sine wave) and a stereo recording device, like a Zoom recorder, or a laptop with an interface.

Worthwhile, and I love collecting home-made IR's.

Here is a link to the videos I made.

ALTIVERB TUTORIALS

Raymond, If I am correct, I remember reading that Altiverb 6 is not currently supported in 64 bit Windows, so you may want to contact your dutch dudes and ask them before purchasing it, that is if you are dead set on not using Sonar in 32 bit. I hope for your sake they are working on it. Supposedly, a complete re-write of the code is why 64 bit is not supported yet. Bummer if that is still true.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael_uk;
    Hello Dan,

Thanks.

Hi Michael, I am waiting for an answer from someone at Audio Ease about whether or not they ever made this huge feature for Windows.
    Quite a few years ago, when Audio Ease made Altiverb, it was "Mac Only" software. When it was released it was the talk of the town and everyone in the Windows world was screaming for Altiverb for Windows. They listened and finally made a Windows version, but if my memory serves me correct, Windows users were not able to make their own IR's. On the Altiverb forum, I asked if it was possible for me to send you Altiverb's tone sweeps, and have you use one to record your church. In order to do this, you need two really nice reasonably flat sounding microphones, and a pretty flat sounding studio monitor speaker. You play the sweep through the speaker with the mics out in the congregation,,,, no outside traffic noise, no air conditioning noise. Then you could send me those stereo files, and I would process them with my" "Mac" Altiverb and then send you the newly created IR's. My guess is that custom made IR's on a Mac won't work on Altiverb running on a Windows machine.
    Here's what we can do for a test. I assume you already have Altiverb 6?

Put this IR folder in your Altiverb "3rd party IR's" folder. Then, rescan the IR folders. Open a new project and see if you can use my IR.

Here's the custom IR....
    http://www.dankury.com/temp/FirstUni...esMissouri.zip

Let me know...

Gunther, I think people today don't want to read books, and I certainly don't want to write one.
    Video tutorials are so much better because audio can be demonstrated... as you mentioned,, why am I preaching to the choir? But I understand what you are saying. While it is flattering to think that some folks here in this small forum think I am the "God of mixing", I'm just a humble dude trying to spread around what I do know, and what I have taught myself through the years. Still more to learn. Daily, I just hope and pray that something I have said, done, or posted will make somebody's music and life better.

Thanks for your very kind words Gunther!

Raymond, Dutch folks know their stuff

Pingu, I hope these Altiverb tutorials give a better insight as to what can be achieved with it. Later, I will be doing some more "toots" with examples of actually using it in a mix. Thanks!

Jerry bud!
    how the heck are ya?
    fogetta bout dat, where da heck you bin dood?
    Anyway... your support is always stellar you need to spend a weekend here sometime, it would be nothing but DP, Altiverb and Garritan. Well, some pizza and Pepsi too. and in the mornin,.........
    I'm makin WAFFLES!

Hi Rob,
    A starter pistol is not a good thing to create IR's, but it is how they used to do it. It lacks low end, and as the folks at Audio Ease say,,,, it is not good for capturing the reverberation of a room with good signal to noise ratio.
    Making custom IR's is very cool though. And for Mac users, Altiverb makes that very possible.

Go Back to forum