• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Mockup: "Aliens - End Title"

Share/Bookmark

Mockup: "Aliens - End Title"

Ok, so I'm trying out a new template and thought I'd try and mockup a piece I really like, and having just seen "Alien" the other day, my choise fell on the end credits from that movie (I miss Jerry Goldsmith).

I thought I got a decent sound out of it. However, I'd like tips and suggestions from all you great musicians out there.

http://www.box.net/shared/k210x3r5rc

FYI, this is not as easy a piece as one might think. There are also some incredibly expressive elements in there that are difficult to do with samples.

Re: Mockup: "Aliens - End Title"

Nice job! Sounds good. Fine rendering.

Why don't you post this in the "Listening Room" section if you used at least some Garritan samples in its production? You would have a larger audience there.

Regards,
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

what strings are you using? This is a very good mock up! Really enjoyed it. VSL perhaps?

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Lundquist View Post
    Ok, so I'm trying out a new template and thought I'd try and mockup a piece I really like, and having just seen "Alien" the other day, my choise fell on the end credits from that movie (I miss Jerry Goldsmith).

I thought I got a decent sound out of it. However, I'd like tips and suggestions from all you great musicians out there.

http://www.box.net/shared/k210x3r5rc

FYI, this is not as easy a piece as one might think. There are also some incredibly expressive elements in there that are difficult to do with samples.
    Gee what a great job you did, that's wonderful. What trumpet is that in the first entrance of the theme?

Congrats!
    Tom
    "Computers in the future may weigh no more than 1.5 tons." --Popular Mechanics, forecasting the relentless march of science, 1949

Larry G. Alexander: yeah, I've seen there are a lot of comments in that garritan subforum - unfortunatly I've not used any Garritan products in the mockup - thanks for listening

Davecos: It's actually LASS, I'm still trying to get the hang of it, and all the features it offers - I'm sure when I get more routine in it, it'll sound even better.

as for the other instruments used:
    woodwinds are all from Westgate modular series.

for the brass, I made sections out of downloadable vsl instruments: 8horns, 4 horns, solo triple horn. Solo Bb Trumpet, Cornet, C trumpet. Tenor Bone, bass bone, contrabass bone, contrabass tuba.

Percussion: True Strike 1

Harp+piano: EWQLSO

yah this is good stuff. impressive use of LASS and hey, you work pretty quick. I would add a touch more reverb to the strings, but they really work well. It comes in and out of hyper realism. The vibrato of the trumpet is a bit of a give-away. But the strings sound so good. This should be a LASS demo!

It's a really great cue, and an expert realization of it. congrats.

Ok, so I'm trying out a new template and thought I'd try and mockup a piece I really like,....

heh... I'd say you succeeded .... very nicely done Ken!!!

Andrew K

Great job Ken ! ! !

I was just watching Aliens 2 the other night . . but the first one was really good.
    When the trumpet came in I just smiled . . . . great job with the mix on the strings as well !
    Do you have the music to this ?

Take care,

Larry

However, I'd like tips and suggestions from all you great musicians out there.
    You need any by the sound of it.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulR View Post
    You need any by the sound of it.
    did you mean he "doesn't" need any from the sounds of it? Because I think this is by far the best example of LASS I have heard from those who bought it. I honestly thought that opening string cluster was real strings.

I think the trumpet is good but a little strident- if it's VSL, perhaps I would ride the mod wheel to activate velocity and tone it down because the original part called for probably a mf dynamic level.

Other than that, this is one helluva great mock up- and this is coming from someone who generally does not like them.

Go Back to forum