• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Help please! KP2 onwards problem!

Share/Bookmark

Help please! KP2 onwards problem!

Ok, so... with the original Garritan Kontakt player, I could pull the drop down box to tell each instrument to output to 2 channels (1/2, 3/4,.... up to 15/16) and each one automatically corresponded with a different track and fader in Cubase SX.

So, my issue now is: I cannot seem to do this in KP2. All I see for outputs now are St[1], St[2] and surr [5.1]

Could someone please help! I am going crazy not being able to split all the instruments up onto separate faders. Everything is grouped onto 1 single fader and it is driving me crazy!

Thanks so much in advance.

Paul
    "Life is rarely fair..." - Garlan, of Thorandall
    http://pjdeakin.blogspot.com/

Re: Help please! KP2 onwards problem!

It's OK, the outputs are there, it's just that the KP2 player has given them silly names.

st.1[1] corresponds to output #1, st.1[2] corresponds to output # 2 and so on down the list. If you press the "conf" button on one of the Output panels down the bottom, then click on "st.1[1]" or whatever is there, you get a pulldown menu with all the choices for output channels, using these silly names.

After you choose one, the panel will say something helpful like "surr.5.1[3] -- plugin out #7", telling you that what they call "surr.5.1[3]" is really output channel 7.
    Martin
    Canberra, Australia

Thanks for replying. Sadly, I am still a little confused.

Each time I load an intrument in KP2, I see that I can assign st1, st2 or Surr 5.1 (6 ch). What do I set each instrument to here?

After that, I hit OUTPUTS and see some faders (st1, st2 and surr5.1 then 4 auxes) and i see the conf button at the bottom. However, this is where I get confused.

Could you give me a little more advice here please. Sorry, it is just that it was so much easier in KP1.

Thanks!

OK, think I got it now...

the 6 channels of surround 5.1 were throwing me off. I set it to use the first 2 channels, then I began adding tracks within KP2. The next instrument I mapped to the new stereo track and my faders work accordingly

I hope I'm doing this right!

Thanks for the help.

Hi again. I'm happy to help with this if I can because it caused me some headaches a while ago. Until I figured it out I had dozens of instances of KP2 running, which was not very efficient and cluttered up my screen something wonderful!

Until I got used to the KP2 names, I made a list to refer to. All the names they use, in order as they appear on the pulldown menu: st.1[1] through st.2[2], then surr5.1[1] through surr5.1[6], then aux1[1] and so on right down to unassigned[14]. That adds up to 32 channels. Then I wrote down the true channel numbers 1 through 32 beside them. Please excuse me if this is painfully obvious, but I just want to make sure we understand each other.

What I do now is have a few instances of the KP2 player set up for various sections I like to use, for instance a "Rhythm" one with piano, guitar, bass, drums and other percussion. Once I've fiddled about with allocating the channels inside the KP2 instance once and for all, I can pretty well forget it from then on.

BTW, I use Digital Performer, where there is another gotcha to get used to -- you have to allocate Channel 1 in a different way from all the others. This is a DP winkle, because it happens with any multi-channel software instrument. Does that happen with CUBASE also? I've never used it.
    Martin
    Canberra, Australia

Native Instruments assumes that most users will be content with just two stereo output groups.....
    st.1 and st. 2

These can be seen in the upper left-hand corner of the loaded instrument in KP2.

1. Up at the top of the GUI, click on the
    "outputs" tab unless you already have them showing,
    (looks like a mixer).

2. First let's get rid of the 5.1 surround
    output... unless you are mixing a movie soundtrack for John Williams next week.....
    highlight it, by clicking on the meters, then select "delete channel".

3. Now let's add 15 more stereo outputs.
    Select "Add Channel"

you will get a pop up
    box that says...

hit "OK"
    then click on "Add Channel" a second time, the
    box appears again,
    hit "OK" Do this 14 more times.
    This will give you 16 stereo outputs for each instance of KP2,... the first stereo output
    can not be routed to audio tracks because it is reserved for the default stereo output.
    We can use the st-2 stereo output so this is why we need to add 15 more stereo outputs
    so we will have access to 16 stereo outputs, or 32 mono outputs, or any combination.

4. You will notice that the newly added
    channels (faders) are named <new>.

5. On the <new> channel that is farthest to the left,
    change it to 5-6.
    To do this, double click on the word <new>
    then type 5-6 then "ENTER".

6. Do the same thing for the next newly added
    channel and name it 7-8. Continue this renaming process with all the other newly added
    channels all the way to 33-34. If you are like me, you will want to rename st.1 and st.2..... to
    1-2 and 3-4 respectively.

7. Click on the "Conf." button on the bottom of
    your newly added channel that you just named 5-6.

8. In this "channel output configuration" box,
    you will see the two mono channels,.... notice that
    they are not assigned. Click on the top channel,
    (ch# 01), then scroll down and select
    "unassigned [5]"
    Now select (ch# 02) and scroll down and select
    "unassigned [6]"
    hit "OK" to close the channel output configuration
    box. You must do this same task to all the other newly added outputs,
    of course increasing the "unassigned" numbers.

You will again get the annoying drop down box....
    hit "OK".

9. Now, back in the Kontakt Player 2 outputs
    window, hit the tab labeled "Reset Out Map."

You will again get the pop up box, hit "OK".

10. Hit the red "Make Default" tab,

you will get a new box that says "Output configuration was saved as
    default" then hit "OK".

11. Completely close your DP, Sonar, Cubase etc. project.

From now on, when you open a new instance of KP2, you will be able
    to assign any loaded instrument, to any of the 16 stereo "pair" outputs of
    your choice. Technically speaking, these are stereo buses, but your DAW may call them something else. In case you are reading this topic and don't know what a bus is, please read this audio mixing tutorial.

Dan

I was just doing this with the new Kontakt 3.5. When I added the extra outputs, all of my settings in Sonar for audio channels and sends were reset to '0'. Had to reload any older version before I added the extra output. I've been afraid to try it again since. Never had the problem with Kontakt 2. BTW, Kontakt 3.5 only gives you 1 stereo out which is a pain.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Ward View Post
    Hi again. I'm happy to help with this if I can because it caused me some headaches a while ago. Until I figured it out I had dozens of instances of KP2 running, which was not very efficient and cluttered up my screen something wonderful!

Until I got used to the KP2 names, I made a list to refer to. All the names they use, in order as they appear on the pulldown menu: st.1[1] through st.2[2], then surr5.1[1] through surr5.1[6], then aux1[1] and so on right down to unassigned[14]. That adds up to 32 channels. Then I wrote down the true channel numbers 1 through 32 beside them. Please excuse me if this is painfully obvious, but I just want to make sure we understand each other.

What I do now is have a few instances of the KP2 player set up for various sections I like to use, for instance a "Rhythm" one with piano, guitar, bass, drums and other percussion. Once I've fiddled about with allocating the channels inside the KP2 instance once and for all, I can pretty well forget it from then on.

BTW, I use Digital Performer, where there is another gotcha to get used to -- you have to allocate Channel 1 in a different way from all the others. This is a DP winkle, because it happens with any multi-channel software instrument. Does that happen with CUBASE also? I've never used it.
    Thanks for your help, Martin. It certainly can be a pain when new software does things differently!

I appreciate you taking the time to help me solve the problem I was having.

Paul

Thank you so much for this comprehensive step-by-step guide, Dan!

I will set up my KP2 as shown and let you know if I run into any other difficulties. This is a superb guide. Thanks for taking the time to put it together.

Regards,
    Paul

... and then we'll all get GPO4 with the new Aria player, and have to learn how to do it all over again ...
    Martin
    Canberra, Australia

Go Back to forum