• Register
  • Help

Topic: LinuxSampler Test - Alternate Giga Sample Players

Share/Bookmark

Smile LinuxSampler Test - Alternate Giga Sample Players

After being frustrated with the rewire between cubase sx3 and gigastudio 3.21, I searched and found the discussion about LinuxSampler here. Actually LinuxSampler is much more powerful than several months ago. Its windows version has VST plugin which could be directly called as VSTi in Cubase. No GSIF sound card is needed!

The windows version of LinuxSampler requires Java support. Unlike gigastudio it does not create hardware midi ports, as a result, LinuxSampler is more stable under system crush, which means we never have to reinstall it again and again. The install of LinuxSampler is easy, and the front end of LinuxSampler works just like a simplified gigastudio, and it directly loads any *.gig files.

There still exists some noise...but I wish LinuxSampler will work better in the next version
    Last edited by sapphire; 08-04-2009 at 01:32 PM. Reason: modify

Re: LinuxSampler Test - Alternate Giga Sample Players

How much ram do you have installed? What OS? 32 bit or 64?
    And how much ram can you use to load samples?

Are you using 4 or more ports, each port being 16 midi channels and each port used to maximum capacity?

Generally, and without any problems, I can run GS3 with 64 channels of instruments loaded on an XP-SP1 machine with 2GB of ram, and with never a glitch of crash. Performance is flawless.

It would be nice to see if LS can match the performance but I don't think I want to try it until I hear about some one using it with a similar work load as I'm used to getting with GS3.

Thanks,

Quote Originally Posted by Steve_Karl View Post
    How much ram do you have installed? What OS? 32 bit or 64?
    And how much ram can you use to load samples?

Are you using 4 or more ports, each port being 16 midi channels and each port used to maximum capacity?

Generally, and without any problems, I can run GS3 with 64 channels of instruments loaded on an XP-SP1 machine with 2GB of ram, and with never a glitch of crash. Performance is flawless.

It would be nice to see if LS can match the performance but I don't think I want to try it until I hear about some one using it with a similar work load as I'm used to getting with GS3.

Thanks,
    My OS is XP SP3, ram is 3G. Well, the problem is I don't have GSIF card...I was wondering if you also use rewire mode. I heared that GS3 is stable with professional sound card

The first release of this windows VST version is in May 2009 so it's still in alpha version. It seems to me that LinuxSampler could support up to 8 ports with 16 channels each. I would like to keep an eye on this project and try if I have a good midi file. Thanks

Hi,

I've never figured out how to use rewire.
    I use Echo Gina 24 cards.

I've been curious about LS also and am watching to see if anyone can get a big load into it.

Thanks,

Quote Originally Posted by Steve_Karl View Post
    Hi,

I've never figured out how to use rewire.
    I use Echo Gina 24 cards.

I've been curious about LS also and am watching to see if anyone can get a big load into it.

Thanks,
    If you install GS3 on a PC without GSIF card, then GS3 will tell you that it can only run in rewire mode. Which means that if GS3 is running alone, it cannot make any sound. If GS3 is called in cubase, then it works a little...with all kinds of delay and noise.

I've got only a laptop and that's why I'm searching for something like LS. The development of GS is said to be stopped, so LS may became a way to make use of the large amount of gig files. The most attractive parts of LS to me are, open source and no GSIF card required.

Thanks,

Go Back to forum