• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: New on Aria

Share/Bookmark

New on Aria

Coming from Kontakt Player I'm missing the multis.
    Will they come later or never?
    Then I would switch back to older versions!

Re: New on Aria

I have to agree.

The ability to save KP2 multis made it much easier to move a score from Finale into a DAW. I would just save the multi from Finale, and then open it in the DAW. I even found a trick to overlay the 2-channel multi from Finale on top of an empty 32-channel multi to quickly reconfigure it for the multi-channel DAW environment!

With GPO4/Aria, I have to reload every single instrument by hand when I move from Finale to the DAW. With a score of 90+ instruments, it gets a little frustrating to navigate through the point&click tree over and over and over again knowing that I would not have to do this with KP2. Then I have to set the correct output channel and MIDI channel for each instrument. And then I have to double-check to make sure I got everything (instrument patch, MIDI channel) correct so that it matches what I want.

Much more effort than I expected it to be. I certainly how we see something similar to KP2's multis in a future version of Aria.
    Best Regards,
    Ernie

Please refer to the manual regarding Ensembles

All of the multis are now called "Ensembles" and there are more of them then were in the previous version. They are faster to load than multis and work through drag and drop too.

It's a very easy process.

Gary

Quote Originally Posted by Garritan View Post
    It's a very easy process.
    Not quite as easy as with KP2.

If I use the Finale setup wizard to create an Ensemble that doesn't exist already, I can't find a way to save it from the VST as a new Ensemble. So I have to re-create it in the stand-alone Aria player (which is essentially the same as re-creating it in the DAW that I mentioned above).

KP2 also lets me append a multi onto the one that is loaded. With Aria, it seems I can only replace the existing Ensemble, not append to it.

Perhaps I am just not understanding how to save an Ensemble from the VST player in Finale, but my understanding is that we cannot do that quite yet.

Gary -- don't get me wrong. I like the new Aria player and GPO4. But I do miss this one part of KP2.
    Best Regards,
    Ernie

I would seriously suggest having a read at the user manual after having a quick play with ARIA. As others have mentioned it's intuitive and easy to pick up BUT it is a powerful piece of software and there are many subtleties that can be explored that will make the transition to ARIA painless and get you being productive more quickly.

Most of the questions asked on the forum (and to support), can be answered by reading the manual. It's not a telephone directory and can be skimmed through quickly allowing you to pick up the important points.

I agree about reading the manual. I have read it front to back (and not just skimmed it).

It appears these two things are not implemented yet:

1) Saving an Ensemble from the VST version of the player.
    2) Appending an Ensemble onto an Ensemble that is already loaded.

Appending to an Ensemble isn't really that important to me. But saving one from the VST is, since the Finale setup wizard uses the VST version.

But again, I reiterate that I like Aria and GPO4. And I am sure that we will continue to see improvements in future versions.
    Best Regards,
    Ernie

Ok. Too lazy to read the 167 page manual or the whole forums.
    Btw: the search option gives me error with a security thing...

Quote Originally Posted by lunker View Post
    It appears these two things are not implemented yet:

1) Saving an Ensemble from the VST version of the player.
    2) Appending an Ensemble onto an Ensemble that is already loaded.

Appending to an Ensemble isn't really that important to me. But saving one from the VST is, since the Finale setup wizard uses the VST version.

But again, I reiterate that I like Aria and GPO4. And I am sure that we will continue to see improvements in future versions.
    A song file in your sequencer should save and recall all your instruments. You don't need to save the ensembles independently of a song file in a host. All loaded instruments and their configurations will be rememberrd.

If you drag and drop and new ensemble over and old, it will overwrite what ever is loaded in there.

Best,

Gary

Yes, you are correct. This only applies to the initial setup of any Ensemble.

But let's say I use Finale to create a symphony for 12 flutes and 4 timpani. There doesn't appear to be an Ensemble for this combination already. Finale automatically loads/configures the instruments for me, but there is no way to save it.

So I have to set it up manually a second time, either in the DAW or with the stand-alone version of Aria. Once that is done, yes, it never needs to be done for that particular combination again.

It all seems trivially small, but let's say I create an orchestral piece completely filling all 8 instances of Aria that Finale will let me load (128 instruments), and none of the existing Ensembles have what I want. If it takes 15 seconds to point/click my way through loading a single instrument and setting its MIDI and audio channels (your speed may vary), that's 32 minutes.

OK that seems trivially small, too, in the grand scheme of life. But if I only have an hour or two to work on music that night, I don't want to spend that much time doing something that took only 15 seconds to do with KP2. Being able to save the Ensemble from the Aria VST would solve the problem.
    Best Regards,
    Ernie

Have read the manual now, but can't se anything about ensembles.
    I see an Import in the instrument browser, where I have to change the filter to "all files" before, (ensembles are .aria files while instruments are .sfz) navigate to the right place and load the ensemble.
    This method is not really easier than before, but ok...

I use FLStudio and can link the ensemble folder in the native browser. So I dag'n drop from there directly onto ARIA's surface et voilá!

But why is there no possibility to load from ARIA's browser under GPO where Standard and Notation reside?

Go Back to forum