• Register
  • Help

Topic: Really stupid question....

Share/Bookmark

Really stupid question....

Hi,

I have JABB and am trying to play some midi through the trombone instrument, it loads it fine, and appears to be playing notes into the player, I see the keys moving, but there is no sound coming out. I've tried with a few of the brass instruments. I can load the piano and it works fine, but the trombones will not play. I'm sure I'm just a dufus, any idears?

K

Sorry, forgot to clarify - running ProTools 7.4 cs 9 and using JABB as instrument plug in.

Re: Really stupid question....

The wind instruments in JABB are programmed to use CC1 data to control volume and timbre. A value of zero equates to zero volume. Percussive instruments uses the standard velocity-only approach. Try moving the modwheel on your keyboard or changing the value of the ModWhl knob in KP2. Any luck?

If you see green/yellow/red in the meter in KP2 but don't hear any sound then it's likely a PT/KP2 routing issue.

Reegs

Quote Originally Posted by Reegs View Post
    The wind instruments in JABB are programmed to use CC1 data to control volume and timbre. A value of zero equates to zero volume. Percussive instruments uses the standard velocity-only approach. Try moving the modwheel on your keyboard or changing the value of the ModWhl knob in KP2. Any luck?

If you see green/yellow/red in the meter in KP2 but don't hear any sound then it's likely a PT/KP2 routing issue.

Reegs
    Sure enough, all i had to do was raise the Mod Wheel a little bit and it worked perfectly - TOLD YOU IT WAS A STUPID QUESTION! - Ha Ha - thanks a bunch

A Follow Up question if I may - I'm trying to listen to the samples to see if I want to use them or the old Giga samples I've been using for so long. It seems like it doesn't read the volume automation in the Midi information - dynamically - where GVI reads it and plays the dynamics, JBB just played everything straight volume. Is there a setting to get it to read that information as well as the notation?

Try converting the CC7 messages to CC1. I believe someone had a tool for this somewhere here on the forum that made this easy to do.

Here's some instructions for doing this in Sonar:

1) Select your MIDI data.
    2) Choose Edit > Interpolate.
    3) Click the None button.
    4) Activate the Control option.
    5) Enter the same value for the Number Min and Number Max parameters. This is the number of the existing (or source) MIDI controller. In the case of our example, this would be 7.
    6) Click OK.
    7) In the next dialog box, enter the same value for the Number Min and Number Max parameters again. This time enter the number of the destination MIDI controller. In the case of our example, this would be 1.
    8) Click OK.

Jim

Go Back to forum