• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Some film scores

Share/Bookmark

Some film scores

Hey everyone! I have been very absent for a while. I miss this place. It is even my homepage for goodness sakes! How pathetically busy have I been?

Well, I have been busy working with a director who has entered some stuff in Filmaka.com contests.
    Basically you are given a theme for the contest of the month, produce a 3 min film and enter it. Based on viewership and other criteria, you may or may not win at the entry level, (which the first one I am linking to did) but if you do, you win $500 and the chance to do another one for the second level (Jury Level) another 3 min movie is produced and you enter that. Anyway, the idea here is that if you win the whole thing, you get funding for your next big movie.

The director is a friend of mine and it has been a lot of fun doing these - and there are at least two more of these coming.

Here is the first (I know there is a rule against more than one link per thread, but you really have to have these together).

The Theme of this one was :Smoke and Mirrors.

Garritan Products used.

GOS strings - all the main patches, as well as several effects and glissandos.
    GPO Solo Oboe Modern 2
    Garritan Solo Strad (Mixed with GOS)
    Garritan Solo Gofriller (Mixed with GOS)
    GPO TamTam
    GPO Tubular Bells
    GPO French Horns Overlay FF
    Garritan Choir patch (from Finale 2009)

Other stuff
    K2 VSL strings mixed in with the GOS strings
    K2 - prepared piano
    K2 - Legato Flute
    Apple Logic - EXS sampler- the electronic sounds you hear at the beginning.
    Apple Logic - EXS orchestral percussion patch
    Choral effects used came from an OLD cheapie $50 CD that is a "best of" version of the Peter Siedlaczek Gospel and Classical Choir libraries.
    Here is the link.

http://www.filmaka.com/my_films.php?...301b46cca5&sid

That one won at the entry level and his Jury level entry for Smoke and Mirrors is in the works.

This next one is a continuation of the story, but is also an entry level movie for THIS month's theme: The Other Side.
    Garritan Products used.
    GOS strings - all the main patches, as well as a few effects and glissandos.
    GPO Solo Oboe Modern 2
    GPO Solo English Horn
    GPO Solo Bb Clarinet
    GPO Chromatic Harp 2
    Solo Strad (Mixed with GOS violins)
    Solo Gofriller (Mixed with GOS cellos)

Other stuff
    K2 VSL strings mixed in with the GOS strings
    K2 Windchimes
    WIVI - three horns.

Here is the link

http://www.filmaka.com/archives.php?...b-00301b46cca5

I cannot post the music alone - once you enter these (and especially if you win, you cannot separate the music and movie) So, sorry if this makes it hard for any of you to enjoy it.

Let me know what you guys think.

Thanks

Jerry

PS - on the first link all three of the director's movies thus far posted are there. I also did the score for the other one called "Spare Change" I used the Garritan Official Steinway for that one!
    MacBook Pro Intel Core 2 Duo 2.5ghz 4GB Ram OSX 10.5.8
    Korg TritonLe & MAudio Oxygen 8
    T3, Logic 9, DP7, K2, GPO4, Strad, Gofriller, C&MB, Finale 2010

My Website!
    New Film Scores!
    Also, Ever think about having your very own personal documentary? See my new Website!
    http://www.mylegacyfilm.com

Re: Some film scores

Fantastic! Absolutly wonderful!

Im a big fan of 'movie music' and this was very nice. A great little film and your music really gave the film an emotion and a chiling end!!

I will move on to the second video and update my comment!

Dan.

-------------------edit------------

The second video was just as good as the first! Nice to see both sides of the story. and again the music was very fitting, creative and perfect for the footage.

thanks,

D.
    Trumpet, cornet, flugel player. Composer and student.

Hi Jerry;
    You did a great job with the music for these 2 clips - and very intriguing film BTW! The GPO instruments sound very effective in this context - Good Luck with the contest!!
    Could you tell me if Adobe After Effects was used for the special visual effects in the films?

Thank you for sharing this and if there is more to come, please post them!

Best regards,
    sd cisco

W

Hi Jerry,

I liked both short films. The films are great and the music fits so well with them. Great job on these!

As far as having more than 1 link, I don't think there is a rule against that. What there is a rule against is putting up threads while you still have an active thread on the first page. One way around it is to put multiple links in one thread.
    Trent P. McDonald

Quote Originally Posted by sd cisco View Post
    Hi Jerry;
    You did a great job with the music for these 2 clips - and very intriguing film BTW! The GPO instruments sound very effective in this context - Good Luck with the contest!!
    Could you tell me if Adobe After Effects was used for the special visual effects in the films?

Thank you for sharing this and if there is more to come, please post them!

Best regards,
    sd cisco
    W
    Thanks for listening and commenting! Something that Gary always touted was how well his libraries would work with other libraries, and he is totally right. While I could do very well with JUST GPO, being able to use GOS, Solo Strad, Solo Cello really added that realism I was hoping for. I added The K2 VSL for some added coloring to the strings that I wanted. Special Effects: Actually - the director only used Sony Vegas to edit these clips in. You'd be surprised what you can actually accomplish WITHOUT After Effects.

That question reminded me that I never really mentioned what i used to score these with.
    The first had to be done in 3 hours - I had just returned from my vacation on the night it was due and worked feverishly on it. I normally am allowed more time - but because of my vacation schedule, was not able to really do much. I did get a chance to view a timecoded version before returning home, so I did a lot of writing in my head as I drove the 2 days home. When I got home I did everything using Apple Logic Pro Studio. It really didn't have a "score" to speak of.

The second one I basically scored using Finale 2010. ( I really work best writing NOTES vs. just a piano roll) I then exported to MIDI file, imported into Logic and then tweaked and tweaked.
    I then sent him my finished WAV files so he could drop them into his timeline.

There will be at least two more of these that follow this story line. I'll post them as soon as they are ready.

Quote Originally Posted by trentpmcd View Post
    Hi Jerry,

I liked both short films. The films are great and the music fits so well with them. Great job on these!

As far as having more than 1 link, I don't think there is a rule against that. What there is a rule against is putting up threads while you still have an active thread on the first page. One way around it is to put multiple links in one thread.
    Thanks TRENT! I am really glad you enjoyed them. I was hoping that I wouldn't get into trouble posting two in one thread, but wasn't sure.

Quote Originally Posted by June-Bug-Dan View Post
    Fantastic! Absolutly wonderful!

Im a big fan of 'movie music' and this was very nice. A great little film and your music really gave the film an emotion and a chiling end!!

I will move on to the second video and update my comment!

Dan.

-------------------edit------------

The second video was just as good as the first! Nice to see both sides of the story. and again the music was very fitting, creative and perfect for the footage.

thanks,

D.
    Thanks DAN! I appreciate those comments very much. It is always a bit uneasy posting your music in forums, since you never know what people will think. I have come to expect a certain level of courtesy when posting, since everyone is so supportive, but still, it is still a bit uncomfy posting to fellow composers and musicians.
    You know, I find this interesting. I see a lot of comments from members of the filmaka community (who are, more often than not, contest entrants and directors themselves) who say things like, "nice choice of music" or" good use of score" which almost makes me think they didn't realize the music was specifically written for these clips. I know more and more people are using music libraries which have short pieces of music that fit a particular emotion or to evoke a certain mood, but it just strikes me as odd that even though it says "Music by Jerry Wickham" they would still say things like that. I am happy they liked the music or they feel the music fit the mood of the movie well enough, but it just seems odd way to put it.
    Thanks again!

Jerry

My Website!
    New Film Scores!
    Also, Ever think about having your very own personal documentary? See my new Website!

What fun stuff, Jerry! Really fun to hear about the contest, and the work you've done scoring the short films is just excellent! Hmmmm, made me wish I had GOS!

Interesting in your list of instruments - you have a GPO Horn Overlay listed by itself. I've seen people list that by itself before - It is an effective sound, but I've always used it in conjunction with a horn, to bring in brassy brilliance when needed. The result is a much more convincing horn than the instrument without the overlay.

Thanks for this special treat!

Randy

Hi again Jerry;
    Thank you for the explanation re. production of the films! I will be watching for the "at least 2 more films" you mentioned. Again, you did a great job on the music, I can still hear (either Bassoon or Oboe) playing in my head from watching the films last week, sounded so perfect for the scene, (looking at or inside the box for the first time)!
    Take care,
    sd cisco

that's some mighty fine work Jerry,
    your emotion that is created is right on the money!
    Great talent!
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post
    What fun stuff, Jerry! Really fun to hear about the contest, and the work you've done scoring the short films is just excellent! Hmmmm, made me wish I had GOS!

Interesting in your list of instruments - you have a GPO Horn Overlay listed by itself. I've seen people list that by itself before - It is an effective sound, but I've always used it in conjunction with a horn, to bring in brassy brilliance when needed. The result is a much more convincing horn than the instrument without the overlay.

Thanks for this special treat!

Randy
    Thanks Randy for listening and also the comments! In the first one where I use the Overlay patch is nearly obscured by the other music and especially the sound effects (when the statue opens its eyes and the boy falls back). I just do what would normally be a trombone gliss down. But it sounded better using the Horn overlays than with trombones. It carried across the other audio mess that was in there a bit better. Under normal situations, I totally agree with you about using both together when needing that extra color. But in this case, it really didn't matter because it was nearly inaudible anyway.
    Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by sd cisco View Post
    Hi again Jerry;
    Thank you for the explanation re. production of the films! I will be watching for the "at least 2 more films" you mentioned. Again, you did a great job on the music, I can still hear (either Bassoon or Oboe) playing in my head from watching the films last week, sounded so perfect for the scene, (looking at or inside the box for the first time)!
    Take care,
    sd cisco
    Thanks SD CISCO.

I hope the director does finish this out. He is working on the Jury level one and I think that he is still planning on doing another segment of this one, but he might just pick it up later without it being part of the contests. I don't know at this point.
    Quote Originally Posted by DPDAN View Post
    that's some mighty fine work Jerry,
    your emotion that is created is right on the money!
    Great talent!
    Dan
    Dan! Thanks! I wish I could have had you mix this stuff for me, but it seemed to go over well enough. The director uses temp-tracks to edit with, and that sometimes is a help, but othertimes is a hinderance. If he spends too much time watching the finished edit with the temp score, it is hard for him to get used to my music. But - the reason for the temp score in the first place is to help establish what kind of feel and emotion he is looking for in the score. THAT is extemely helpful. THough, sometimes he and I disagree about choices of styles or color, we always come to an understanding. He is a musician too, so he has a musical sense and taste which is very extensive. I appreciate that a lot.

BTW - thanks for your help with the very first one (Spare Change). Your suggestions and mix really saved the day!

Jerry

My Website!
    New Film Scores!

Wow, Jerry, these are knock-out, five-star,
    all-pro work, my friend! I am extremely im-
    pressed with them.

Bravo, bravo!

What a great pleasure to hear work of such
    quality, vigor and originality from you, Jerry!

With applause,

David
    -----
    David Sosnowski
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast