• Register
  • Help

Topic: Winds advices ?

Share/Bookmark

Question Winds advices ?

Hello,

I've started the process of building a modular orchestra, starting with LASS. My next moves will probably to buy Wallander WIVI for the brasses and True Strike (or Elite Orchestral percussion) for the percussions.

But I've not made my choice for the winds yet. There are plenty of options I have thought of:
    - WIVI (I tried the demo but I found the winds not as good as the brasses)
    - Kirk Hunter's (they sound very good on on his site's audio demos)
    - VSL (to dry ? difficult to program ?)
    - Westgate modular

Upcoming Cinesamples's winds seems interesting, but a different type of product. (like Symphobia for the orchestra)
    There are probably other interesting products I am not aware of.

Would you share your advices?

TIA

Re: Winds advices ?

IMO nothing beats VSL for woodwinds.
    Both because of the recorded legato, but also because of the richness of the tone of these instruments.

Westgate woodwinds sound strangely detached to me.

Sonic Implants woodwinds (Sonivox), which I have, generally sound nice, however there is no legato. You have to use a script to simulate it, and still it does not come close to touching VSL's legato.

Then there is East West - not sure about that. Have never really listened to their woodwinds.

/Henrik

I personally use Westgate with my own customized patches. And I am very happy with them.
    Kentaro Sato (Ken-P)
    Composer/Conductor/Orchestrator
    www.wisemanproject.com

Quote Originally Posted by HenrikBJ View Post
    IMO nothing beats VSL for woodwinds.
    Both because of the recorded legato, but also because of the richness of the tone of these instruments.

Westgate woodwinds sound strangely detached to me.

Sonic Implants woodwinds (Sonivox), which I have, generally sound nice, however there is no legato. You have to use a script to simulate it, and still it does not come close to touching VSL's legato.

Then there is East West - not sure about that. Have never really listened to their woodwinds.

/Henrik
    Two thumbs up from me for VSL as well and I am a woodwind player!

Peace

Rik

Go Back to forum