• Register
  • Help

Topic: Rigid Mist [extended version!]

Share/Bookmark

Rigid Mist [extended version!]

Hello again friends and strangers from distant lands!

This piece is an extended version [like twice as long now] of something I had posted here quite a while ago: then, I presented it as 'Tears and Sorrow', yet now it has acquired a brand new (and better!) title - Rigid Mist.

The old thread is located here:
    http://northernsounds.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61742
    And the old and shorter version, yet the inspiration for the current one:
    http://www.box.net/shared/4rise558o8

Yet now, my friends, I've extended the whole thing to the length of 7 minutes and 52 seconds, making it one of the longest things I've ever created. All instruments Garritan, the strings, english horn, clarinet, piano and percussion. So without further ado, here it is - happy listening!

Rigid Mist | http://www.box.net/shared/uot7drqulc
    'Music is like this pure thing that exists for its own sake, just to make something perfect..' ~ Ephram Brown

Re: Rigid Mist [extended version!]

You have a talent for nice sonorities and good orchestration.

With all due respect, this seems to go on forever and a day. Maybe a change of tempo somewhere along the way would help maintain the listener's interest. Even a short segment in the major mode would perhaps be good.

These are just my opinions.

Regards,
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

Very moody and atmospheric. Very nice.

Is this still going to be used in a video game? It would work well in that context.
    Trent P. McDonald

Atmospheric is right! You paint a landscape of mysterious mountains with deep misty valleys - perfectly titled as well!
    Thank you!
    sd cisco

Very nice. I love the feel of it.
    Producer ~ Sound Engineer ~ Musician

http://www.myspace.com/451525581

Quote Originally Posted by Larry G. Alexander View Post
    You have a talent for nice sonorities and good orchestration. With all due respect, this seems to go on forever and a day. Maybe a change of tempo somewhere along the way would help maintain the listener's interest. Even a short segment in the major mode would perhaps be good.
    Thanks! I thought I put some segments in major in there, like in the beginning starting from 1:07 (the wind instruments' solo). Then at 3:05 the orchestral rise to the major chord and also in the very ending where it's starting to 'calm down' a bit, no more dissonances etc, there's the cello solo that's very major'ish in my opinion, and the theme in the very end reprised twice (starts with english horn and the string section follows). Anyway, just wanted to say that imo the major/minor were both there all along and changed between one another. About the tempo, well for me anything faster than 85 bpm is just TOO fast But I thought the 'theme' starting from 3:56 represented a slightly faster tempo. I guess I have to admit I rarely write anything that's presto.. :/

Quote Originally Posted by trentpmcd
    Very moody and atmospheric. Very nice.
    Is this still going to be used in a video game? It would work well in that context.
    Thank you. No, it's not going to be used there, mainly because the creator of those missions wanted something that doesn't capture the player's mind right away, something that wasn't as 'musical' if you will. So it wasn't used in that context, but I didn't let that bring me down and thought I'd expand the idea I had there and I'm happy with that now

Quote Originally Posted by sd disco
    Atmospheric is right! You paint a landscape of mysterious mountains with deep misty valleys - perfectly titled as well!
    Thank you!
    Thank you as well A mysterious landscape and the misty valleys is exactly the idea I had in mind so I'm happy it was well-conveyed in the music! Glad you like the title

Quote Originally Posted by Hippie
    Very nice. I love the feel of it.
    Thanks!
    'Music is like this pure thing that exists for its own sake, just to make something perfect..' ~ Ephram Brown

Hello, Brindle - Nice to see you here!

mMMmmmmm this is so enveloping with its misty mood. It must've been a good experience to stay in this mysterious environment while you worked on the arrangement and recording. I know for me it's one of the most rewarding things about working on music - that I get to immerse myself in whatever special world each piece comes from.

It sounds really nicely put together, in every respect.

Do I understand correctly that originally you were composing this to be used in a video game, but the game creator wanted something that could sublimate itself more to the game's story? - It's certainly one continuous, well established mood you created, one that seems like it would be very supportive as a sound track of some sort. On its own it is a bit of a long time to stay in that one misty place.

"Rigid"--? Mist I get, but I'm not grasping how Rigid fits in--Because the mists are clinging to rocky terrain?

Really nice work - Good to hear from you again, Brindle.

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post
    Hello, Brindle - Nice to see you here!

mMMmmmmm this is so enveloping with its misty mood. It must've been a good experience to stay in this mysterious environment while you worked on the arrangement and recording. I know for me it's one of the most rewarding things about working on music - that I get to immerse myself in whatever special world each piece comes from.

It sounds really nicely put together, in every respect.

Do I understand correctly that originally you were composing this to be used in a video game, but the game creator wanted something that could sublimate itself more to the game's story? - It's certainly one continuous, well established mood you created, one that seems like it would be very supportive as a sound track of some sort. On its own it is a bit of a long time to stay in that one misty place.

"Rigid"--? Mist I get, but I'm not grasping how Rigid fits in--Because the mists are clinging to rocky terrain?

Really nice work - Good to hear from you again, Brindle.

Randy
    I suppose the creator didn't exactly have this kind of 'ambience' in mind when creating that mission. Anyway, I'm not complaining because for me it's one of my 'best' pieces (if I may say so..), I think.

'Rigid'.. well I don't know, it might be a little too poetic, but 'rigid' in a way that the fog, the mist etc.. is kind of permanent in the location, like a part of the landscape..

Btw, I also had an idea in mind.. to leave this piece as it is, but make it a part of a possible first symphony! What do you think? The 2nd movement would be perhaps faster in tempo and slightly 'happier' in mood.

Brindle,

Cool, clean, dreamy, and so velvety smooth. Is that enough adjectives?
    Something really falls over one while listening... it's quite hypnotic.
    Overall very beautiful; i wish I had your patience to write like this.

Much enjoyed!
    M
    "...Wiktor's a Jekyll-Hyde personality..." - Lycos Music
    http://www.miserymadebeautiful.com

Go Back to forum