• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Symphobia vs VSL

Share/Bookmark

Symphobia vs VSL

Which would I be better off buying VSL Special edition bundle for €1550 or Symphobia and True Strike for €1340? And can I actually live without True Strike 2 as well as 1? I already have EWQLSO Gold btw.

Thanks.

Re: Symphobia vs VSL

Depends on what you need, really...
    I believe those products are made with different purposes in mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Hasen View Post
    Which would I be better off buying VSL Special edition bundle for €1550 or Symphobia and True Strike for €1340? And can I actually live without True Strike 2 as well as 1? I already have EWQLSO Gold btw.

Thanks.
    Honestly, if you're starting off, go with VSL. Symphobia, as awesome as it is, is really meant as topping on the other libraries- you do not get solo instruments nor individual sections which would make traditional composing difficult. It's great to add a Symphobia track on top of existing or as a starting point. I love its strings but you do not have as much individual control of each part because they were recorded all together.

It's really good for trailer music and video games but again, in tandem with a more traditional library.

If you want big Hollywood sound, I would also look at EWQLSO Platinum.

In theory you should be able to get close to the Symphobia sound with VSL (base and extended). You could build up your composition layer by layer. The big epic horns and the appasionatta strings aticulations are few but can still cover quite a bit of ground.

However it seems you couldn't buy Symphobia and create the VSL sound. VSL has great woodwinds, solo strings, chamber strings, etc. And each instrument is an individual instrument so you can get a very intimate sound.

I own VSL special edition and the extended package as well as the full Appasionatta strings bundle. I also own EWQL Gold Pro XP (kontakt version)

I am drooling for symphobia but it's too darn pricey. IMHO if you were going to choose I would get VSL. Believe me their stuff is top shelf. The legatos, the player, the sound, all of it 1st rate.

2 cents,

Darren
    www.darrenpasdernick.com
    "Every time you play a wrong note God kills a kitten."

Thanks for the useful replies guys, its a tricky decision. I do want it to score video games btw. Any comments on True Strike? How is the VSL percussion compared with that and any comments on versions 1 and 2 of True Strike?

I disagree somewhat with the previous poster - theoretically, in may be possible to get VSL to sound like Symphobia, but it is a LOT of work, and I haven't heard anybody do so to great success. There are a lot of things that I've heard pulled off with Symphobia that would be a huge amount of work with regular libraries and would not sound as good as they do with Symphobia.

That being said, you lose a lot of control over the orchestration by having specific instrument choices made by someone else and built into the samples. So IMO composers cannot really do with just Symphobia - it's too limiting.

VSL itself is not perfect in all ways - it is known to have excellent winds and strings, but the percussion and brass is not as impressive. You can buy VSL SE strings download and SE winds download and use ProjectSAM brass and percussion to complement that. I wouldn't necessarily buy the whole VSL pack when there are arguably better options for percussion and brass.

Edit: Missed the fact that you have EWQL gold already - Symphobia would be a logical next step for you given that you already have a regular orchestra lib to cover the bases.

If your composing for games, and since you have EWQLSO Gold, Symphobia seems to be a no-brainer. I have both that I use for TV promos and trailers, and Symphobia has textures and ensemble effects that can't be re-created with a standard orchestral library.

The Gold percussion is OK, but True Strike blows Gold away for big cues and cinematic-style scores. Gold has just about everything else you need so go for broke and get Symphobia and True Strike 1 and have a blast!

Is it actually possible to buy Symphobia ensemble sections separately? As far as I can see, it isn't. I'd be tempted to buy VSL woodwinds at least. I was interested to buy the download version of individual woodwind instruments but they seem to only be 'Standard' whereas on the DVDs they have 'Standard', 'Extended' and 'Full'. It doesn't seem to be possible to get the 'Full' versions of the individual solo woodwind instruments separately via download.

I have both True strike one and two and simply love both of them. I also have symphobia, and it is fantastic, which blends well with the App strings. Just picked up the Project Sam brass which I had not a chance to try yet. Hope this helps. Best, Joseph

Quote Originally Posted by dalek3 View Post
    I disagree somewhat with the previous poster - theoretically, in may be possible to get VSL to sound like Symphobia, but it is a LOT of work, and I haven't heard anybody do so to great success. There are a lot of things that I've heard pulled off with Symphobia that would be a huge amount of work with regular libraries and would not sound as good as they do with Symphobia.

My point was that you can't build up your compositions in Symphobia the way you can in VSL. The sections in Symphobia are sort of "written in stone". In other words, if you had to cover all of the basses of orchestral scoring (classical, film, solo work etc, and could choose only one package you would have more options with VSL. If your score requires a single legato oboe I'm not sure wheather Symphobia would get you there.

I do agree that it would take a "lot of work" to get VSL to sound like Symphobia but you could get very close. (except for the special effects patches like the shakuhatchi) On the other hand I don't think any amuont of work could make Symphobia sound like VSL. The articulations are just not there.

Seeing as video games scores are the ultimate target I may choose Symphobia. From the demos I've heard and played with online it sounds bloody huge and magnificent. That's not to say that all video games need a huge Hollywood type score. Maybe a simple legao oboe is what some of these games need

All the very bst,

Darren
    www.darrenpasdernick.com
    "Every time you play a wrong note God kills a kitten."

Go Back to forum