• Register
  • Help

Topic: How to install JBB in Finale?

Share/Bookmark

How to install JABB in Finale?

Hi, all!

running on Finale 2009b but I'm not really satisfied with the sound quality of the samples of the Finales's Garritan library. So I plan to buy Garritan's Jazz an Big Band DVD and I hope this can will improve the midi ouput for my scores. However, I would like firstly to know if Garritan's JBB is compatible with Finale and, if it is, how to install it.

Thanks a lot for any help.

Bob

Re: How to install JBB in Finale?

I had already installed JABB (and GPO) when I installed Finale, and they both were there - no muss, no fuss, I think because the Kontakt Player knew about them.

Is JABB installed on the computer right now? Which Kontakt player is installed?

I upgraded to Finale 2010, so I'm afraid I can't check settings or anything for you, however, I can point you to the official Garritan forums, which are right here at Northern Sounds.

If you search you'll find the answer, and if the answer doesn't pop up right away just ask, I am confident you'll get your answer.
    Bill Thompson
    Audio Enterprise
    KB3KJF

Re: How to install JABB in Finale?

Thanks for your kind reply, Bill.

No, JABB is not installed on my computer yet. I have Native Instruments: KontaktPlayer 2 installed.

In fact I would like to know if it's possible to associate Finale (rather as a music notation software) with any studio box such as Logic, Cubase, Studio Orchestra and so like, in order to create jingles, radio spots, soundtracks, etc. If not, could you tell me please what the better solution for composing and make music post production directly from a score, and not only from a MIDI keyboard such as in Garage Band or other studio box?

P.S.: by the way, I was just trying to find the forum at Garritan's site when I was linked to here...

Re: How to install JBB in Finale?

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzbow View Post
    No, JABB is not installed on my computer yet. I have Native Instruments: KontaktPlayer 2 installed.
    Then all you really need to do is install the JABB library, K2 will pick it up. Although I would strongly recommend updating to Kontakt Player 3.5 - the performance and stability improvements are significant. You can do this through the NI Service Center.

In fact I would like to know if it's possible to associate Finale (rather as a music notation software) with any studio box such as Logic, Cubase, <snip>
    That would be the $64,000 question!

The short answer is yes, I use Finale and Sonar to do all sorts of composition and rendering tasks. The marriage is not perfect - and I've been lobbying both developers to do something about it, but the reality is that the solution is non-trivial!

MIDI records VERY precise information about a performance. When you record MIDI data from a keyboard it collects information about when - within 1/960th of a beat - you press and release the keys. It can also collect data about how hard (fast actually) you pressed the key, and in some cases if you added or reduced pressure while you were holding it. Then there are all the additional controllers that can send data!

Standard notation, on the other hand, is the human readable approximation of a performance. Resolution is reduced, and so it the types of information that can be conveyed. On the other hand, well, we humans can read and write it.

The "Piano Roll View" in most sequencers is a crude but mostly effective compromise between the two worlds. For a dinosaur like me it is still easier to work with standard notation, even with it's shortcomings.

And so I've developed a workflow that lets me use Finale for what it does best and Sonar for what it does best, and I keep the trips between the two to a minimum. In many cases, where I won't be asking live players to play, I can even skip Finale. Except that during the writing process I'm still more comfortable working with standard notation. Oh well!

P.S.: by the way, it was just trying to find the forum at Garritan's site when I was linked to here...
    Garritan made the wise choice (in my opinion) not to reinvent the wheel, and he "outsourced" his forum to Northern Sounds. This really is the official forum for Garritan products. At least that's one point of confusion we can dispense with!

Keep those questions coming...
    Bill Thompson
    Audio Enterprise
    KB3KJF

Go Back to forum