• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Omnisphere: fewer sounds on laptop?

Share/Bookmark

Omnisphere: fewer sounds on laptop?

Hi,

is it possible to install Omnisphere on a separate Harddrive and copy only the files i will use at the moment to my laptop?
    The Omnisphere program will be on my laptop ofcourse.
    This way i can explore the sounds at home, and take only the sounds i want to use for that moment on my laptop. I dont want to take 50 Gig with me all the time.

thanks
    Bart

Re: Omnisphere: fewer sounds on laptop?

you can install the corelibrary to an external HD but that needs to be connected to your laptop when you want to use Omnisphere.

Hi One of the pitfalls of OMNI is you can't just use it to make VA sounds without the large library being slung along with it..I would LOVe to be able to just go were ever with my laptop and make sounds using the synth section..But it can;t be done at present..Which actually means there are many tracks I do with friends that demand NOT using Omni..How quaint..LOL...JON
    Logic Pro8
    MacBook Pro intel
    Live8
    Reason4
    PTs 7.4

i am using an externall 500 GB drive from western digital. Comes with firewire 800 and holds all of my main libs. its about the size of an iphone.
    Totally portable-i can really recommend to spend 150$ to solve the problem.

thanks
    that is really too bad.
    i dont want an extra device with me when i am on the road.
    kinda dissapointing you have to take all Gigabytes with you all the time.

ok,

if i am gonna buy an external HD, a small one.
    will a 5400 RPM be sufficient enough for using it live?

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bartp View Post
    ok,

if i am gonna buy an external HD, a small one.
    will a 5400 RPM be sufficient enough for using it live?

thanks
    I would recommend 7200 rpm for streaming. But then you're going to have use a wall wart which is way uncool. I don't believe that there are any buss-powered 7200's?

Hi..I think you can just get a larger internal drive with more memory.. Which is what I'm looking into soon..I have just been a bit low in the funds department. If you DO have the space on your laptops drive then that would be the best bet..JON
    Logic Pro8
    MacBook Pro intel
    Live8
    Reason4
    PTs 7.4

500gb internal laptop drives are really inexpensive. 5400 speed works very well. Pretty easy to replace and upgrade laptop drives these days.

500gb external buss-powered firewire drives are also inexpensive and plentiful. 7200 speed works well and there are buss powered versions available from dozens of vendors.

Very soon we will be seeing 1 terrabyte laptop drives as well.

How soon do you think on the 1tera drives? I'm about to purchase several 500gb for my 2 laptops.

BTW, I just installed a couple of Optibay drives, which are 500gb drives in a case that replaces your internal Macbook Pro optical drive. Also got their external case for the internal dvd drive that I just took out so I can still use it as a USB-powered ext drive. Anyway, I just transferred my Symphobia samples to the now internal seconde drive and about to transfer the Omni as well. No more flimsy eSATA cables!

Go Back to forum