• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

Topic: Voices of the Apocalypse Classical Choir

Share/Bookmark

Voices of the Apocalypse Classical Choir

Introducing a breakthrough sample library from Quantum Leap on 3 CD-ROMs. Voices
    of the Apocalypse - Classical Choir. Every vowel sound and consonant sampled at
    multiple dynamics, programmed in a way that allows you to create realistic words,
    sung in any language, from your sampler. This library sounds nothing like any other
    choir library you\'ve ever heard, because we fearlessly went after the full spectrum of
    a world class Wagneresque choir. Features; Chromatic multisamples covering a 3 octave
    range (yes 3 not 2 like all the other choir libraries) for both the men and the women. Real ambient release triggers for a shockingly
    realistic hall sound. Light to heavy vibrato samples crossfaded with the mod-wheel.
    Everything from a true classical sound to Hollywood majesty, ANGELIC to EVIL.

I am actually quite fond of some of the choir samples already on the market. But, there is alot missing. This library gives you all of the vowel sounds and all of the consonants. The louder vowel samples have all the intensity and vibrato of a real choir, giving it their all. Cross fading between the mellower and more intense samples gives you a tremendous amount of creative input. The attacks are quick, making the samples very playable. Release triggered samples have also been included so as to completely recreate the incredible sounding hall that this library was recorded in. You might not ever need to add any reverb, with a couple of exceptions.
    Besides the large men’s and women’s choirs, I also recorded a smaller section of women to create the Angel patches. These have a purer tone than the women’s choir. The vibrato samples are intended to sound like the choirs heard in old Hollywood Films, although I got the idea from the Monkeybone Soundtrack.
    Four different takes of each consonant, or consonant-combo, have been included for the adventurous, who wish to create real words. In testing the library, though, I got excellent results by triggering the consonant for a very short period of time and adding some artificial hall reverb to it and mixing that with vowel sounds without any artificial reverb. Be sure to mix the consonants in at a very low level. When listening to a real choir, you will find the consonants very faint and hard to understand. They should not be up front in your mix.
    I found that the best way to make these samples actually sing lyrics, is to first record the melody on a vowel track. Then load up all the vowel patches you will need. Copy the melody onto all tracks, and erase all notes on each track, except the ones that will sing that vowel at the appropriate time. Use the mod wheel for expression and remember that some vowels will be much softer than others in a realistic phrase. Don’t forget that the vowel sound EE is often used to represent the letter Y, and the vowel sound AAY is made by using EH followed by EE. Now load up the consonants and play them at the appropriate time. There are 4 versions of each.

Want a stronger attack? Use keyswitch C#1, or mix in the staccatos AH’s at a low level with any vowel and/or consonant. To my delight, I found that playing descending staccato runs using the upper ranges of the women’s vowels sounds amazingly real and fluttery. Also, when using the loud heavy vibrato samples, it is sometimes nice to start with the softer sample for the attack (mod wheel down) and quickly push the mod wheel up to hear the loud vibrato. Sometimes, it is nice to use the mod wheel to mellow out the reverb trails, as well. You’ll also find MM’s for softer pieces and some shouts and cluster crescendos for intense moments. Enjoy! I think this library is a tremendous source of realistic choir sounds. It also complements other choir libraries really well.

24 bit 88.2 ?

This library was recorded and edited in 24 bit format at 88.2k sample rate. I didn’t want to have to create this library again in a few years. When Gigastudio supports this, you will be able to purchase an inexpensive DVD from EAST WEST with all of the high resolution samples on it. Gigastudio, even now, allows you too replace all the samples within a patch quickly and easily.

PRICE $499 retail
    This library is being pressed as we speak and will be available, along with QL 56 Strat, from EAST WEST on or about Nov. 4.

[This message has been edited by Nick Phoenix (edited 10-15-2001).]

Re: Voices of the Apocalypse Classical Choir

Sounds very interesting Nick! Damn you surprised me there. You havent mentioned this with as much as ONE syllable have you? Anyway... can we get any demos anywhere??

VERY interesting, Nick!
    Seems there are a lot of interesting libraries coming from the QL corner lately. First Rare Instruments, now this!

If you need a demo composer, just give me a call
    An earlier choir piece I wrote using Siedlaczek\'s Classical Choir: http://www2.hku.nl/~maarte2/audio/faith.mp3
    It would be quite interesting to see if it can be improved by using your new library!

Maarten

[This message has been edited by Maarten Spruijt (edited 10-15-2001).]

SSSAAAAWWWWWEEEEETTT!!!

I want now!

He did mention it a little Simon...as in \"I\'m working on something amazing right now\"

I couldn\'t ever figure out what he was doing tho

------------------
    Really...I am an Idiot

Nick, I hate you. I truly, truly hate you.

First, I decide to finally buy Rare Instruments, and now this... it looks like I\'m gonna have to drop another 500 bucks before the New Year.

Darn you and your hard work.

Demo in about a week!

PatS

I love surprises, and this one is certainly a humdinger!

Did you base the vowels and consonants on the IPA (see http://hctv.humnet.ucla.edu/departments/linguistics/VowelsandConsonants/c ourse/chapter1/chapter1.html)?

How large is each section of the two choirs (SATB and SSAA)?

Do the basses drop below E2?

Can the sopranos reach A5, perhaps even C6?

Can the tenors hit C5? (You know the joke about Wagnerian tenors, right? It\'s a bit painful.)

Any falsetto tones, or did the men sing only in full voice?

Very exciting news!

Pat

PATCHES

MENS CHOIR RANGE C2 -> C5 800 MB

MCahMOD C1 -> C#1 AH vowel sound. Mod wheel cross fades between softer, light vibrato samples and loud, heavy vibrato samples. KEYSWITCH C1 gives you natural attacks. KEYSWITCH C#1 gives you a slightly faster attack.
    MCooMOD C1 -> C#1 OO vowel sound. “ “
    MCeeMOD C1 -> C#1 EE vowel sound. “ “
    MCohMOD C1 -> C#1 OH vowel sound. “ “
    MCehMOD C1 -> C#1 EH vowel sound. “ “
    MCihMOD C1 -> C#1 IH vowel sound. “ “
    MCuhMOD C1 -> C#1 UH vowel sound. “ “
    MCmmMOD C1 -> C#1 MM sound. Mod wheel gives you air control. KEYSWITCH C#1 gives you a slightly faster attack.
    MC Shouts Pitchless shouts. HAH, HEE, HO, HEY, HUM.
    MC Staccato AH vowel sound. Staccato.
    MC Cluster Crescendos Clusters that come to a big climax after 15 seconds.
    MC Consonants C1 -> D#1 Starting on C3. B,CH, D, F, G, H, J, K, L, M, N, P, Qu, R, S, SH, T, V, W, X, Y, Z. KEYSWTCHES C1 -> D#1 switch between 4 different versions of each.

WOMENS CHOIR RANGE G3 -> G6 800MB

WCahMOD C1 -> C#1 AH vowel sound. Mod wheel cross fades between softer, light vibrato samples and loud, heavy vibrato samples. KEYSWITCH C1 gives you natural attacks. KEYSWITCH C#1 gives you a slightly faster attack.
    WCooMOD C1 -> C#1 OO vowel sound. “ “
    WCeeMOD C1 -> C#1 EE vowel sound. “ “
    WCohMOD C1 -> C#1 OH vowel sound. “ “
    WCehMOD C1 -> C#1 EH vowel sound. “ “
    WCihMODC1 -> C#1 IH vowel sound. “ “
    WCuhMOD C1 -> C#1 UH vowel sound. “ “
    WCmmMOD C1 -> C#1 MM sound. Mod wheel gives you air control. KEYSWITCH C#1 gives you a slightly faster attack.
    WC Shouts Pitchless shouts. HAH, HEE, HO, HEY, HUM.
    WC Staccato AH vowel sound. Staccato.
    WC Cluster Crescendos Clusters that come to a big climax after 15 seconds.
    WC Consonants C1 -> D#1 Starting on C3. B, CH, D, F, G, H, J, K, L, M, N, P, Qu, R, S, SH, T, V, W, X, Y, Z. KEYSWTCHES C1 -> D#1 switch between 4 different versions of each.

ANGELS RANGE A3 -> C6 200 MB

Angels nonvib oo/oh MOD Smaller group of women.Mod wheel crossfades from OO vowel-sound to OH vowel-sound. This is a pure non- vibrato patch.

Angels Ah classic MODatk Classic Hollywood angelic vibrato
    with a natural crescendo built in.
    Mod wheel controls attack time.

PatS

Would someone be so kind as to help me pick my jaw off the ground? Grab a mop while you\'re at it.

Pat

looks liek I\'m buying myself an early B-day present

BTW Nick, I\'e been getting great results with my Guitar Controller for portamento soudns with the right attack and decay settings. I cant wait to try out these tricks on your library....I hope I have the time thats all

------------------
    Really...I am an Idiot

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast