• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: symphony...no name for it yet...

Post symphony...no name for it yet...

I. In the Beginning
    III. To and From
    IV. In the End

Well...I thought that I should share what I have been up to this last year. I am fairly sure that these are the final versions...the editing may still continue for a bit

I will write the 2nd movement this fall...and then try to get the funding to get it performed in the spring as my senior recital. If we had a string program, then I would be home free, but alas...woodwinds, brass and percussion are all covered by my fellow students...strings and one oboe player will have to be hired! Grrrrrr!!!

How is GPO4? I will have to use a bit of my Summer earnings to get the upgrade. DARN being a poor student!!

I have missed you all,

Prowland the posting Ninja

Re: symphony...no name for it yet...

Hi Paul,

M1: A very strong opening! I enjoyed the more "classical" approach and the soloing string. Great use of percussion and brass as well.

M3: A beautiful contrast. Somewhat lyrical and soothing with only the slightest "punch" here and there, which reminds me of M1. Nice to hear the winds more.

M4: Tension and mystery; to my ears anyway. Another colorful movement. Great string crescendos and tremolos. Overall, great use of varied articulations. I believe this Mvt. has some elements of M1. Really like that violin melody over the pizz. A very interesting and contemplative ending.

All the way around, I've enjoyed!
    Nothing like waking-up to an original Symphony and a RedBull.

Thanks for the post.

"...Wiktor's a Jekyll-Hyde personality..." - Lycos Music

Thank you for listening! I tried to use unifying rhythmic motives to unify the 3 movements thus far...the differing time signatures made those motives difficult to bring out. In the end, the motive is more subliminal than something consciously noteworthy.

Suffice to say, I am too close to the project to be objective.

Along with continuing to tweak this, as I said in the original post, I will be working on that missing 2nd movement this Fall term.

I hope that my professors are pleased...I still have to talk them into having it performed as my Senior recital. Otherwise, I guess that I will play these versions, and talk about the writing process in a paper/ presentation...which would be anticlimactic and not nearly as cool. Being the first undergrad at my college to write a symphony, it has been difficult to convince them that I would even finish the darn thing...let alone get it performed.

Anyway....thank you, again, for listening

Welcome home, Paul -- and my heavens, you've come
    quite a distance in your writing, my friend.

While very traditional in many regards, I do note that
    there are some distinctly modern leanings in these...
    it will be most interesting to hear as you develop
    further along those avenues.

There are moments of real beauty in these, Paul;
    and the fourth movement especially, I must say I
    enjoyed a great deal -- the violin writing, in point.

Keep it coming!

David Sosnowski

Paul, you've got a couple of extra forward / slashes
    in the first link, which may not open on some

Thank you, as always, for listening. I am slowly working in more modern techniques...and have been listening to oodles of modern composers, which has been sinking into my mind...slowly being incorporated.

I do not know whether I will ever completely abandon my melodic/ tonal roots...creating a hybrid is surely where I will end up. Until then, professors rule the world, and I will absorbs what they throw my way. After all, the more tools you have, the more varied your work can be. Paintings would not be nearly as cool if painters only used one color and a roller-brush. Different hues and different brush strokes make the art more interesting.

Anyway, I am waxing philosophical...

BTW I really enjoyed your latest work!!!!! Had to say that again!

AND...I think that I fixed my link problems...thanks for the heads up on that.

Hi, Prowland - Well, you still have link problems. I've only tried the first link, wanting to start at the beginning - there was an extra http:// in the address - I edited that out in my browser and a SoundClick page came up, but when I did the second click to play song - I got an error message that there was no file.

Did you remove it - ?

Randy B.

SUCCESS!!! At least it is working for me.... I hope that it stays fixed.

Thanks for the heads up!

I really enjoyed listening to these 3 movements Paul. Very well done.

How long before you have # 2 ready for us to listen to?
    Producer ~ Sound Engineer ~ Musician

Hmm...when will the 2nd movement be ready? Good question, and one that well warrants an answer. LOL I am thinking that I will start writing it at the beginning of Fall term. 1st draft...by Thanksgiving...and then edit until Christmas. That way it will be ready by Spring term...hopefully, I can organize the recital by March. Performance maybe...the 27th?

Anyway, that went beyond what you had asked...

I just hope that the whole thing, when it is done, is good enough to get me into a Master's program. I want to put off entering the real world for a while longer, at least until the economy rebounds a bit. At that point, maybe I can get a gig as a composer.

Thank you for listening,

AH yes, now the links work fine, Prowland - And I'm the richer for it.

Outstanding work! Intelligence combined with soul makes these movements powerful and a complete pleasure to listen to. Your command of orchestration was inspiring to experience.

It'd be great if you could tell us the various libraries you used for this. Is your lead violin the Garritan Strad or from another library? We're always curious what's been used in works posted here.

"...I do not know whether I will ever completely abandon my melodic/ tonal roots..."

Please don't! The world needs more Music that "regular people"--as in--the AUDIENCE enjoys hearing. Write for real people--not professors. Otherwise we'd be left with a world full of plunks and booms that nobody but other academic types listens to.

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast