• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Steinway Standard Version Discontinued!

Share/Bookmark

Steinway Standard Version Discontinued!

Support tells me that the Standard version of Garritan Authorized Steinway has been discontinued.

This is not what I was waiting to hear - big disappointment.

The Basic version is a very fine but incomplete piano. Jeff has done a great job with it. But without the release samples there is no hall ambience available, or indeed any realistic piano sound (by today's standards). To get the Troy Hall effect, a very important aspect of the piano, you now have to go all the way to Professional. Aria's Ambience effects in Basic are not Troy Hall and they are not realistic (IMHO).

The gap in price between Basic and Professional is huge, making the fully functional Garritan piano more expensive than Ivory (for example), which doesn't seem to be in line with the Garritan philosophy of first-rate affordable libraries for musicians and student musicians.

GPO4 at $149 is an outstanding example of this philosophy. The Standard version of the piano was more-or-less in line with this. The Basic version is, but it is a disabled piano (no Troy Hall ambience). GPO4 is not disabled, it is fully capable. So it seems inconsistent.

You could buy almost three copies of a whole orchestra for the price of a single Professional piano! It doesn't make sense.

Perhaps Garritan is constrained by its relationship with Steinway??

Here's a suggestion (my perferred solution) to resolve this issue. Discontinue the Standard version if you must, but issue a new "Basic Plus" version, that is, a version of Basic that includes release samples. That would be a terrific piano, in line with GPO4 in both quality and (presumably) price ($129?).

And it wouldn't threaten sales of Professional because lacks the perspectives, 64 bit, every note sampled, etc. But it would be a complete piano, and therefore consistent with GPO4. Let's do it!

Much thanks to Gary and Jeff for the Basic version, a wonderful piano. On to Basic Plus!

Re: Steinway Standard Version Discontinued!

We will reconsider. There were several reasons we did this. One had to do with marketing and distinguishing between the products. The other had to do with the souring costs of printing and shipping hard cover foiled-embossed products. Perhaps we can reflect this in the price.

What do others think about keeping the Standard version?

~Gary

I bought the Standard version. Professional was out of my price range, but I didn't think I would have been happy with the Basic having listened to some of the demos and read the specs. If Standard hadn't been available, I would still be without a Steinway. I would have been prepared to pay a little more for the Standard, perhaps $50 extra.

Owen

Well I bought the Pro version straight off, so I may not be best qualified to speak. But, given the current economic climate, I think I (or at least my wife) might appreciate if there were a standard version of the next Steinway.

If the distinctions between versions were identical to those in the current model, I would not want to go as far down as Basic version, for much the same reasons that John has given; but I would appreciate it if the only alternative were not to go straight up to Pro. So, by extension, and assuming there are many hobbyists with my knid of budget, I think keeping the Standard version of the current model is probably a good call.

I, for one, don't mind if the packaging goes. Don't get me wrong, I did appreciate the high class feel of the Steinway and GOS, but, at the end of the day, I now have so many sample CDs that I store them in CD wallets anyway, use the pdf manual, and throw away the jewel cases. Which makes my Garritan products an anomaly - I can't quite bring myself to get rid, but I don't really have the shelf space either.

I don't know though. The folders that arrive with the high end products have heightened the feel of being admitted to some 'club' which, in turn, must strengthen the community feel here. Perhaps have simpler jewel-case packaging for the Basic and Standard models?
    David

Quote Originally Posted by Garritan View Post
    We will reconsider. There were several reasons we did this. One had to do with marketing and distinguishing between the products. The other had to do with the souring costs of printing and shipping hard cover foiled-embossed products. Perhaps we can reflect this in the price.

What do others think about keeping the Standard version?

~Gary
    Thanks for your quick replies, Jeff and Gary.

I am full of admiration for the Basic piano. It is really wonderful, and the price is more than reasonable. When Jeff describes all the parameters that must be considered and adjusted it blows my mind. This is really a marvelous product.

Because it is so good, and the impression of reality is so strong, when notes end without fading out it is quite striking. Much more so than on a lesser piano. It seems a shame to have to rely on Ambience to fill the gap.

Jeff suggests that I am placing too much emphasis on release samples in comparison to the rest of the piano, and I agree - I am talking about the last 2% - but this last 2% has considerable aural impact.

Maybe I'm fooling myself - maybe the Troy Hall release samples would not be that different from Ambience Piano Hall, for example. Nevertheless, my impression as a consumer considering a product is that Basic with Troy Hall release samples would be a wonderful option.

But I would be just as happy with Standard, with a price that reflects your increasing costs. Or Standard with a PDF manual to reduce costs. Or Standard without the gold embossing. Heck, I would happily stand around waiting for Standard to download if it were download-only. Anybody who has enough computer to run Standard will certainly have a fast internet connection as well, so maybe download-only is an option.

Thanks for your attention and concern. I've never dealt with a company that is so responsive. Regards, JohnF

An addendum per David's comment: The packaging is beautifully done, but I would have been equally happy with the product had it been shipped in a plain paper CD envelope, along with a PDF manual. After installing, the packaging on my copy will probably rarely see the light of day. A PDF manual for me is easier to get at than digging it out of a pile of stuff at the bottom of a drawer!

I've had my mouse hovering over 'order now' for the "Authorized Steinway Virtual Concert Grand Basic Edition" for some time. Its still there on www.garritan.biz. Am I missing something here?

The Standard has been removed, not the Basic.
    MacPro 2.66 - Tiger & Snow Leopard / 16GB RAM / several TB of HD space/ Garritan Libraries / EWQLSO Platinum PLAY / Omnisphere/ Kontakt 2 & 3 / Finale 2010 /DP5/ a VERY patient wife!

Quote Originally Posted by englishgent View Post
    An addendum per David's comment: The packaging is beautifully done, but I would have been equally happy with the product had it been shipped in a plain paper CD envelope, along with a PDF manual. After installing, the packaging on my copy will probably rarely see the light of day. A PDF manual for me is easier to get at than digging it out of a pile of stuff at the bottom of a drawer!
    +1
    After sticking the serial#'s to the DVD and also saving them to a text file, I place the DVD in my DVDs holder and usually toss any packaging and paper manuals. Paper doesn't have a search button!

For those of us who already own the STANDARD version, is the upgrade to the Professional version still available? If so, how does one go about obtaining it??

The new ARIA player with GPO 4 works great, by the way. I have already really liked its function in my STANDARD Steinway. Now to have the orchestral instruments all streamlined in this sleek, stylish and intuitive player is wonderful!

I have recently migrated my OS from Windows VISTA Ultimate 32 bit to Ultimate 64. The reinstalls of all of my GARRITAN libraries went very smoothly. The RAM boost of the 64 bit system has really sped up my machine.

Thanks for all the hard work on these new products.

Go Back to forum