• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Steinway Standard Version Discontinued

Share/Bookmark

Steinway Standard Version Discontinued

Support tells me that the Standard version of Garritan Authorized Steinway has been discontinued.

This is not what I was waiting to hear - big disappointment.

The Basic version is a very fine but incomplete piano. Jeff has done a great job with it. But without the release samples there is no hall ambience available, or indeed any realistic piano sound (by today's standards). To get the Troy Hall effect, a very important aspect of the piano, you now have to go all the way to Professional. Aria's Ambience effects in Basic are not Troy Hall and they are not realistic (IMHO).

The gap in price between Basic and Professional is huge, making the fully functional Garritan piano more expensive than Ivory (for example), which doesn't seem to be in line with the Garritan philosophy of first-rate affordable libraries for musicians and student musicians.

GPO4 at $149 is an outstanding example of this philosophy. The Standard version of the piano was more-or-less in line with this. The Basic version is, but it is a disabled piano (no Troy Hall ambience). GPO4 is not disabled, it is fully capable. So it seems inconsistent.

You could buy almost three copies of a whole orchestra for the price of a single Professional piano! It doesn't make sense.

Perhaps Garritan is constrained by its relationship with Steinway??

Here's a suggestion (my perferred solution) to resolve this issue. Discontinue the Standard version if you must, but issue a new "Basic Plus" version, that is, a version of Basic that includes release samples. That would be a terrific piano, in line with GPO4 in both quality and (presumably) price ($129?).

And it wouldn't threaten sales of Professional because lacks the perspectives, 64 bit, every note sampled, etc. But it would be a complete piano, and therefore consistent with GPO4. Let's do it!

Much thanks to Gary and Jeff for the Basic version, a wonderful piano. On to Basic Plus!

Re: Steinway Standard Version Discontinued

I think the idea is that Pro will occupy a point in price between where Standard and Pro were previously set. That might mean Pro at $299. That said, I don't think price is a particular product goal here in the high range. The Basic version is both extremely good I believe, and probably affordable for most people at $99.

I'll definitely consider your suggestion to include release samples for the Basic - I think if this were to happen, it would likely be a product update to Basic rather than a new edition.

I do think you're overstating the importance of release samples though. They're quite beneficial, but I think of them as something like a nice polish. The base has to be good first, and then the polish can make sense. The Basic version doesn't include release samples, but the important thing is getting all the base fundamentals done right, which it succeeds at doing I believe, and which isn't all that common. Offhand a few fundamentals would be- Characteristic and beautiful tone for the piano, excellent unison tuning, all notes in relative tune and with a beautiful but not excessive stretch, accurate and even timbre and volume from ppp to fff, characteristic and even regulation and voicing up and down the scale. Basic stuff, but not easy to do

I'm not happy that the Steinway standard version is discontinued
    I think it's a real mistake

I think that you shoud develop the download zone for order
    It would be cool if we can download the perspective we want.
    For example the player perspective for 60$ (16 bits, all notes sampled, high quality)
    Today I think it's not a problem to download 2Gb
    (and it's a real pleasure to have immediately the product)

A new owner of the basic edition and really really happy with it

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Hurchalla View Post

I'll definitely consider your suggestion to include release samples for the Basic - I think if this were to happen, it would likely be a product update to Basic rather than a new edition.
    +1

release samples to hear the sound effect in the release of the undampered keys (g6 to c8) would be a great feature for the basic version.
    ( i like the velocity mapping, the tuning, it's a very real and clean sampled Piano and more better than a common sampled Piano)

Release samples for Basic Version, please, please!

Also, soft pedal (una corda) functionality in Basic Ver could be added by DSP algorithm. Jeff, please?

If the Basic Version would be this complete, it would sell like crazy. With Olivier, I agree that it has the impeccable voicing and tone of a real Steinway. Release samples and DSP soft pedal would be the final strokes to this magnificent piano.

Quote Originally Posted by jefcitron View Post
    I think that you shoud develop the download zone for order
    It would be cool if we can download the perspective we want.
    For example the player perspective for 60$ (16 bits, all notes sampled, high quality)
    Today I think it's not a problem to download 2Gb
    (and it's a real pleasure to have immediately the product)
    I've wished for this approach since this product was first released!

+1 for including release samples on the basic.

This was a disappointment. I liked Basic and was ready to upgrade to Standard. Pro is much more expensive, and heavier on resources.

+1
    me too

I would pay $$ for the players perspective now that I have the Basic

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast