• Register
  • Help

Topic: GPO4 Multis?

Share/Bookmark

GPO4 Multis?

Just started playing around with GPO4 today after downloading the upgrade.

LOVE the new ARIA player - very fast and easy to get around.

But one thing I can't figure out, and can't find in the manual, is how to load "multis", so that I can save and load my most often used combinations of instruments and settings.

Am I missing something? Can't find anywhere on the interface to load them....

My only other complaint is that I still find it hard to get anything that sounds like staccato attacks from the brass or woodwinds. But again, maybe I'm missing something in the control interface.

Any help would be appreciated.

cheers.

Re: GPO4 Multis?

Hi...

Just do a FILE>LOAD or drag & drop an .ARIA file onto the interface & your multi will load right up. FILE>SAVE will save them for you as .ARIA files

There are a bunch of Multis in the ENSEMBLES folder of GPO4. Chances are there'd be one you could use or adapt.

Not sure if you are new to GPO or a veteran user (I'll assume some experience since you have the upgrade), remember that attacks in all sustaining instruments such as brass and woodwinds are controlled by VELOCITY. Volume and associated timbre changes are controlled by the modwheel (CC1).

So to get nice crisp attacks, hit the key hard if you are entering from a keyboard, or, in your sequencer or notation program, assign a high velocity value to the notes in question. Experiment with different values to see what pleases your ear. A velocity in the 90s may be a start for many contexts.

HTH,
    Jim W.
    Jim Williams
    Professor of Capitalism
    N9EJR
    Indianapolis Brass Choir
    All Your Bass Sus&Short Are Belong to Us.

Thanks for the reply.

Only problem is, I don't see a "File..." menu through which to load any GPO4 ensembles. I'm talking about DAW plugin use here, not standalone. Did they somehow forget to include a file load option in the plugin, or am I just staring at it and not seeing it?

As for the attacks, again thanks for the help. But that was the answer I was afraid of. I know that velocity is supposed to increase the attack sound with this library. But at any velocity level, even 127, I find most of these sounds woefully anemic compared to most other orchestral or brass libraries. Great for sustained or smooth passages, but never anything near enough 'punch' for staccato accents. Maybe it's just my ear. And not to be too critical, because I love many of the other GPO sounds.

Just kinda surprised that true staccato is so timid sounding...

Thanks for your assistance nonetheless!

Quote Originally Posted by timby View Post
    Only problem is, I don't see a "File..." menu through which to load any GPO4 ensembles. I'm talking about DAW plugin use here, not standalone. Did they somehow forget to include a file load option in the plugin, or am I just staring at it and not seeing it?
    Just drag and drop the ensemble file on the ARIA Player UI.

Drag n' drop -- cool, got it - thanks.

Seems like a strange oversight in the interface though, doesn't it?

Most of my Logic screensets take up the whole monitor so having to close windows and find the ARIA files on my desktop feels like a rather awkward workaround.

Nevertheless, at least it will work - THANKS!

(just hope they'll consider adding a "load" button to the plugin on the next go-around).

cheers

T

If you want a bit more bite, use one of the overlays or aggressive overlays and see how you like that. If you are after a sforzando or fp kind of attack, you can combine modwheel with velocity.

Standalone can load multis via FILE>LOAD or drag & drop...to load multis in the plug-in, drag & drop.

Jim W.
    Jim Williams
    Professor of Capitalism
    N9EJR
    Indianapolis Brass Choir
    All Your Bass Sus&Short Are Belong to Us.

I'm glad to see this thread, because I have also just got GPO4 going, and was worrying that the multi feature might have got lost: I have been using it all the time for groups of instruments I like to use, and would be sad to lose it.

The above discussion goes some way but does not, as far as I can see, solve Timby's main problem -- and mine -- how to create one's own instrument groupings and save them as a multi.

My solution for the current version of Aria, is to launch it as a standalone and define the group of instruments with all my favourite settings there. Then, in the standalone version, the File>Save menu will indeed save the grouping as a .aria file. Then, when I go back to using aria as a plugin, I can load up the grouping by drag-and-drop, as discussed above.

I am happy to go to the standalone (which I would hardly ever use otherwise) for this purpose, because I only have to do it once to define the group, so it's not too much of a hassle.

I agree, it does seem a strange omission though. Especially since my DAW (DP6) provides a drop-down menu at the top of the Aria window to save its current settings, a standard facility for AUs, and it seems to be ignored by Aria.

Perhaps an easy fix for version 1.073?
    Martin
    Canberra, Australia

... however
    it's not possible, as far as I know, to assign different output channels to different tracks in Aria when in standalone mode: they all must be assigned to 1/2. That means that the output assignments have to be re-entered every time your multi (ensemble) is loaded into the Aria plugin. I find it's easy to forget to do this.

(If someone knows a way of assigning output channels in standalone Aria, please tell me. Or maybe there's some way of tweaking the .aria file directly?)

Timby: re the screen clutter problem. I assume you're using a Mac, since you mention Logic. What I do is have all my .aria files in one folder, then place it in the folders section of the dock, where it's always easy to find.
    Martin
    Canberra, Australia

Go Back to forum