• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Can't render to flac or mp3 in ACID Pro 7

Share/Bookmark

Can't render to flac or mp3 in ACID Pro 7

Hi,

I wonder if this is a known issue: I use ACID Pro 7 with Garritan Steinway as a soft synth a lot. Usually I have just one MIDI file in my project (the piano part) and when I try to render to flac or mp3, I get a very small file that won't play.

I can render to wav, though, but then I need to use another application to convert to mp3 or flac, and then I must add the tags myself, which is quite annoying...

Is there a known compatibility issue between ACID and the Garritan Steinway?

Cheers,
    Mathieu

Re: Can't render to flac or mp3 in ACID Pro 7

Hello, Mathieu

Now that's an odd problem, and I'm afraid I don't have the answer. Hopefully one of the more techno types will notice your post and help you out.

But I still wanted to reply because I'm hoping to help you understand that you actually shouldn't be going straight from The Steinway to an MP3 or Flac. You want a high resolution .wav file as your master copy. From that you can make the lesser quality copies you want, for an audio CD, for an MP3 or a Flac.

Needing to use an app for making the MP3 and adding the tags really isn't a big hassle is it - ? - That's what we all do to make those distributable versions of our work. --Acid Pro should have an MP3 converter, so you don't even need to switch apps do you?-

The point though is you're doing your work great damage if you're going down to MP3 as your only copy - That would be like only keeping a 2 megapixel copy of a photo when you had the chance to archive a high rez version.

Flac of course sounds great, but still involves compression, and so shouldn't be the format for your archives.

It's become a more common issue the last couple of years, with people being so accustomed to playing MP3, that some musicians have started thinking that's all they need to cook up - Noooo, please, for the sake of your art, render to high quality .wav - then make your compressed copies.

Randy

Hi Randy,

Thanks for your answer. Actually, I always keep a master copy as a 96KHz WAV file (although I'm not sure what sample rate the Steinway is using - maybe 96KHz is overkill). I just find it practical to render to WAV, then to MP3 and flac from the same MIDI file. But I guess I will render to WAV, then add the WAV file to my project, mute the MIDI track and render to flac or mp3. It's just a little less convenient.

Have a nice day,
    Mathieu

Quote Originally Posted by MathieuC View Post
    Hi Randy,

Thanks for your answer. Actually, I always keep a master copy as a 96KHz WAV file (although I'm not sure what sample rate the Steinway is using - maybe 96KHz is overkill). I just find it practical to render to WAV, then to MP3 and flac from the same MIDI file. But I guess I will render to WAV, then add the WAV file to my project, mute the MIDI track and render to flac or mp3. It's just a little less convenient.

Have a nice day,
    Mathieu
    Hi, Mathieu - Thanks for the reply. I see - I was thinking you meant you were skipping the .wav rendering entirely and only saving your things as MP3s and/or Flacs. OK, well I'm glad to hear you've been archiving as .wavs - 96Hz!--Well, some people feel that's good, so why not if you don't mind the file size. I keep my things in 32, tending to agree with people who say there's no sonic difference in the sizes.

This gets back to your original problem then of not being able to use your MIDI file to create the distributable versions of your music. I just don't know the answer, knowing nothing about Acid Pro really.

It sounds like you're not using any of your app's audio editing tools though, since you're saying you need to render to wave and then bring it back into the project, mute MIDI, make MP3 - This does seem too convoluted. Can't you just bounce the MIDI to audio right there in the project, and then export the audio in all the different formats you want?

This doesn't really apply to you - but what I do is bounce all MIDI tracks to audio in my project, then mute and hide the MIDI so I can then work on a mix with just audio tracks. The 2-track master, after I've done all my mixing automation is exported to outside of the project so I can then move on to mastering the master mix in Sound Forge. - Easily 3/4 of making recordings is taken up by work after I've only done the MIDI work.

But I think you're doing piano solos - rather different situation--BUt you could still use Acid Pro's tools to improve the recording.

So anyway, it's not a huge time saver, but I'm sure you can record your MIDI track to audio without having to add the WAV file to the project - it could just be there as a new track in the first place.

Randy

ACID can bounce MIDI files, they call it freezing, if I understood you correctly, but I think the sound quality is better when rendering the MIDI file to WAV instead of freezing it. Actually, this only happens if you have tempo changes, the sound will start to tremble in the bounced track. This must be some issue in ACID.

Cheers,
    Mathieu

Hello again, Mathieu

I looked at Acid Pro 7's site, and it looks like a sequencer/audio package much like all of them. I user Sonar, but have the impression the same set of tools are in both programs.

By "Bounce" I meant record to .wav file. Freezing a track is something all DAWS have now, it's quick, and easily reversable, but is meant to be temporary. However, it's creating a .wav file exactly like when you do the final version of your project.

The "trembling" artifact you're talking about sounds like an "Acidized" audio file which is expanding and contracting to follow tempo changes you've done AFter freezing/bouncing/recording. Tempo changes really need to be locked in before you have any audio tracks in your project.

I theorize that there's something wrong with the MP3 burner in your Acid Pro - since you should be able to do exactly what you talked about in your original post - make an MP3 directly from the combined MIDI and audio output track of The Steinway. Maybe it's an MP3 burner which was only in demo mode when you first bought Acid, and now you're supposed to buy it-?

BUT - I still feel you're better off making your master audio files, and then making MP3 copies from that.

Randy

Hi Randy,

I think I finally solved my problem: I switched my project settings from 96KHz to 44.1 and now I can render the Steinway MIDI track to any audio I want. I compared the two wav files (96 vs. 44.1) on my stereo (with column speakers) and can't say I heard a difference.

Any idea what the sampling rate of the Steinway is? If it's 44.1, then it really doesn't make sense to have a higher rate in my project options.

Thanks again for all the good advice.

Cheers,
    Mathieu

Hello again, Mathieu - I appreciate you posting the update.

Well now of course!--Once again the solution to a problem can seem obvious in retrospect. If I were a more techno oriented person, I'd think ahead to things like what you discovered - but I'm really not. I'm just an average user who learns how to accomplish my goals, but I don't have that technically oriented kind of brain like some really smart Forum members, Reegs and Dpdan for instance.

The Steinway is sampled at 44.1. I just double checked that before replying. If you push the "Info" tab, that's one of the things listed.

And MP3s have to be set at 44.1 - This really isn't a Steinway issue, but the limitation of MP3s. When I make an MP3 of a project from inside Sonar, if I've left all the resolution settings the same--an error message comes up reminding me I need to reduce to 44.1.

So--Great--Thanks again, Mathie.

Randy

Just to clarify Randy's answer, the Steinway D was recorded at 96khz, then resampled to 44.1khz for the software. Simple reason.. 96khz more than doubles the hard disk, CPU, and memory usage - which would result in halving the maximum polyphony you could reach.
    I'd usually suggest to run the Steinway with your project sample rate at 44.1. Since the (resampled) samples are 44.1 natively, there's no benefit to the piano from running a higher sample rate.

OK, well, I definitely have to switch all my projects to 44.1 KHz from now on. Thanks guys.

Mathieu

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast