• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Help with WXP 64 bit

Share/Bookmark

Help with WXP 64 bit

I posted this on the Vienna site, but the suggestions I received have not yet worked.

I'm having great difficulty running Vienna Ensemble on a WXP 64 bit platform. The sound is distorted when I trigger a note and the cpu goes all the way to 60 or 70 %. The CPU even surges high when I trigger the sound right from the virtual keyboard inside VE.

I'm using VE in standalone mode. VE runs well on my 32 bit WXP which I have on a separate partition. My sequencer is on a separate computer.

I have the latest 7.3 drivers for my Echo card set up in my 64 bit application and the settings are identical to the 32 bit application of VE. As far as I can tell I have VE set up the same with the soundcard in the 64 and 32 bit platforms. Same drivers, same latency, same WDM settings for my Echo card.

In 64 bit, Vinenna Instruments initially works, but the task manager indicates cpu activity around 20% and even higher when a I play one instrument. VE plays two instruments decently but as soon as I play a third track it is highly distorted. In VE the CPU indicates 60 to 70% and it never falls below 30% even when it is just standing idle.

Audio cds play fine through the media player with no distortion. I disabled all the WXP sounds.

I have a Core 2, 6420. 2.13 GHz,. 6 gigabytes of ram, dual boot WXp/WXp 64, Service Pack 2) Echo Mia card, 40 gigabyte SATA drive for programs, two 500 for audio files (Vienna Winds, Chamber Strings, Percussion, Harps, Special Edition)

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Marko

Re: Help with WXP 64 bit

Which version of VE are you using? Is this the x64 version?

I've been running 2.0 version for quite awhile in WXP x64 without these problems. Sonar 8.3.1 is my host. CPU usage is usually no more than a few percent CPU when idle with 2 instances of VE loaded with almost 16 instruments in each.

I've noticed that in my 64 bit partition that latency has to be set a bit higher with my soundcard compared to my 32 bit partition. So you may want to try raising it. Also, I haven't had much luck running with multiprocessor support enabled in Sonar but that is usually caused by Kontakt 2.

Jim

Jim,

Do you have an Echo Mia card in your rig? If not, what do you have?

I tried switching the MIA card with a Hammerfall (VSL tech support suggested this) but I cannot finish installing it. My computer won't run a flash program for the drivers.Something about a password and administrator's permission. I've never run into this before. I set up Windows so that no password is required and I have never had a problem like this before.

Any ideas?

Marko

I'm using an EMU 1212M card.

Do you have the exact wording for the error message your getting? Are you running as administrator?

Jim

Jim,

I finally installed the card with the updated 64 bit drivers. The card is a Hammerfall 9652, the cpu level is still ridiculously high. When VE sits idle the cpu is registering about 10 to 15 %.

I've experimented with various buffer settings too. The performance bar on the task manager goes up to 30 to 50% when I play one note. When I run a few tracks it goes to 90 to 100%.

Swapping the soundcard did not do the trick.

What else could it be? The only thing I have on this computer is VI. and VE which I run in standalone. My sequencer is on another computer.

Marko

Could be a number of things but what's this 40 gig drive you speak of?
    Is that what you have your O/S on AND Cubase?
    Sounds like it as you say the other two drives are 500GB for audio.

Have you done a RAM check?
    What motherboard do you use and exactly what RAM is it and what incriments are the DIMMS?
    Last edited by Chalfant; 08-15-2009 at 08:43 PM. Reason: layout
    2 X Intel i7 920 sys. 12 gigs Ram. XP & Win 7 64
    Cubase 5. Kontakt 4. EWQL C.C.C. (Play)
    Vienna Instruments SE & Plus. Symphobia. GPO.
    RME HDSPe AIO KRK V8s Avalon Vt-747sp
    M-Audio Keystation Pro 88

My two passions. Music and Cooking.
    Both require just the right ingredients....

How are the 2 computers communicating? What programs are you using?

Jim

Chalfant,

I think my main drive is a Western Digital (80 gig). I have it partitioned with WXP on C: and XP64 on D (dual boot). I don't have Cubase. I use V Ensemble in standalone. My sequencer (Home Studio) is on a separate computer running MOL.

The motherboard is an Intel D965 (Core 2, 6420, 2.13 GHz). The ram modules are the same speed. I have it set up in dual memory mode. I haven't run any test, but I've never had any problem with the RAM in WXP 32 (with a 3 gig switch)

At this point, I think I can rule out the soundcard. In fact I went back to the Echo. The RME didn't work any better.

I don't think it's a MIDI thing because the cpu spikes when I trigger sounds from the virtual keyboard inside VE. Even sitting idle, VE seems to run at 7 to 10%.

Jim,

I use MOL for my MIDI connections.

Marko

What kind of idle CPU usage do you get with MOL disabled?

Jim

From what I can tell, there is no difference with MOL disabled.

I went on a disabling spree yesterday afternoon to see if there are any conflicts. I disabled all audio on the motherboard, disabled the network and firewire--still no effect. I may still find something else to disable in device manager.

Any suggestions on sorts of things to disable?

Go Back to forum