• Register
  • Help

Topic: GPO4: New brass to old brass comparison

Share/Bookmark

GPO4: New brass to old brass comparison

Are there any examples of pieces played with the standard GPO brass then again with the new SAM GPO samples?

I haven't been able to find any yet, and I was hoping that some of you "early adopters" may have done some demos already to check it out.

Thanks.

Greg

Re: GPO4: New brass to old brass comparison

My "brief piece for brass" (Fanfare Solenelle) has the two versions side by side.

http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/...ad.php?t=67476

Now that piece really highlighted the brass. Nice work, Michel.

The new horns do sound less "thin".
    Are there any other examples out there?

Hi, Gregory - Maybe it would help if we got a better idea of what exactly you're needing a comparison of. To hear what the difference is between the standard brass and the newly included SAM brass selections is rather amply demonstrated in Michel's excellent fanfare--I don't know how the difference could be more thoroughly shown. - ?

Randy

The SAM brass samples don't correspond neatly to the GPO brass samples. Instead of overlays, for example, SAM has sections, but I'm not sure they're equivalent.

I'll also mention that the GPO horn in particular is still a very useful sample. Great for quieter moments. The SAM solo horn is better suited to forte passages, I think. Or very cinematic pieces.

Quote Originally Posted by Henry Buck View Post
    The SAM brass samples don't correspond neatly to the GPO brass samples. Instead of overlays, for example, SAM has sections, but I'm not sure they're equivalent.

I'll also mention that the GPO horn in particular is still a very useful sample. Great for quieter moments. The SAM solo horn is better suited to forte passages, I think. Or very cinematic pieces.
    Hi, Henry - I definitely agree about the GPO solo horn being excellent. It will still be the horn I use the most. The SAM solo horn is big and always ringing out, so is best saved for appropriate moments. This is fairly much the case with the SAM trombone also.

The SAM sections really aren't equivalent with the harmonic overlay effect in GPO. These sections are like the group instruments in the Concert and Marching Band Library, which are essentially chorused instruments for instant beefing up in projects when needed.

Randy

Hi Randy. I was just looking for comparisons in different contexts to see where one may shine more than the other. Michel's example was excellent, but I would like to hear other samples if anyone has them. (e.g. something like the Star Trek intro; brass quintets; Handel style trumpet solos; hollywood trailer style; tuba solos; heavy metal brass...if there is such a thing.)

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by gregoryc View Post
    Hi Randy. I was just looking for comparisons in different contexts to see where one may shine more than the other. Michel's example was excellent, but I would like to hear other samples if anyone has them. (e.g. something like the Star Trek intro; brass quintets; Handel style trumpet solos; hollywood trailer style; tuba solos; heavy metal brass...if there is such a thing.)

Thanks.
    Hello again, Gregory - OK, I see - But what you're asking for is really only what you can find out on your own, by experimenting, by working on specific pieces. No demo is going to fulfill all the parameters you want--See what I mean?

As we've said, the SAM brass are bigger and brassier in comparison. All I can really think to say by way of explanation is that in GPO4 you have two different flavored sets of brass to work with. The SAM are good to use for big ballsy sections or pieces, and the original GPO are good for the rest. And of course layering them together for big ensembles will work great, varying the mix between the two as needed.

I find that the SAM instruments aren't as sensitive to velocity and cc1 volume work - they're rather constantly ringing and brassy, while the GPO brass you have a wider dynamic range.

"...to see where one may shine more than the other..." - I don't understand why that matters. As I've said above, you'll find that out with your own experimenting.

I think that's about all the preview you can really expect.

Randy

Go Back to forum