• Register
  • Help

Topic: No MIDI Learn in GPO4? Envelopes?

Share/Bookmark

No MIDI Learn in GPO4? Envelopes?

Hi-

I read this in another thread. Is this true?

With Kontakt3 Player, all parameters were exposed and I could assign them to whatever knob I wanted on my controller or to an envelope in REAPER or SONAR.

Is this not possible in GPO4?

Thanks-

-Susan

Re: No MIDI Learn in GPO4? Envelopes?

Hi, Susan - What parameters are you wanting to automate? All of the mixer controls are controlled via the usual ccs - 7 for volume, 10 for panning, 91 for the amount of send. Under the "Control" tab, all of the instrument controls have the corresponding cc #s listed along side the knobs. The new Auto Legato and Stereo Stage are also controlled by the cc#s listed.

Randy

Hi Randy-

I understand that they're controlled by CC#s, but it sounds like I can't (easily) use a MIDI controller or envelopes to control those now. In other words, the only way to control ModWhl is via my keyboard's Mod Wheel (then hand-edit the values). In Kontakt, the parameters are all exposed and I can assign say ModWhl to an envelope or put a control on a track in REAPER or SONAR and assign that to my BCR2000 controller.

It seems there was more flexibility in terms of automation (Host and MIDI in Kontakt, neither in ARIA?) but maybe I'm missing something!

Thanks-

-Susan

Quote Originally Posted by Susan G View Post
    Hi Randy-

I understand that they're controlled by CC#s, but it sounds like I can't (easily) use a MIDI controller or envelopes to control those now. In other words, the only way to control ModWhl is via my keyboard's Mod Wheel (then hand-edit the values). In Kontakt, the parameters are all exposed and I can assign say ModWhl to an envelope or put a control on a track in REAPER or SONAR and assign that to my BCR2000 controller.

It seems there was more flexibility in terms of automation (Host and MIDI in Kontakt, neither in ARIA?) but maybe I'm missing something!

Thanks-

-Susan
    Hello again, Susan - OK, I see. My approach and equipment is more humble than yours. I have one wheel that I can program to any MIDI controller - and I keep changing the values as I add layers to the MIDI track. What I record can always be tweaked in PRV if needed. Works great for me, but you're using a slick control surface with lots o' knobs. - I still don't get why you can't just assign those knobs to the CC #s you want, and away you go - ?

Randy

Hi Randy-

I'm sure it'll be fine. I was just surprised to read that MIDI Learn had been removed and I didn't see anything about Host/MIDI automation so I wanted to clarify that.

Thanks again-

-Susan

I haven't had a chance to dig into GPO4 yet, but from the conversation I will be very surprised if you can't create a MIDI envelope for every parameter there is. Except, since you reference MIDI learn, instead of going with generic envelopes and forcing Kontakt to respond, ARIA has predefined CC's for each parameter, and you just set the envelope to that CC#. Similarly you would set up your interface witht the appropriate CC#'s for each knob/slider and save that as your Garritan preset.

Right, Rob - That's what I'm saying. Not having a surface controller like Susan, I guess I don't really get (as I never have) what the advantage is. I use envelopes a lot on audio, but for MIDI control of parameters I rely on my keyboard in combo with PVR where any possible number can be typed in.

Randy

I think midi-learn would be a good feature to have in a next version of Aria, its not there for sure now.

Some controls in Aria interface (eg EQ) have no midi-assignment anyway so the 'workarounds' won't work for those. For people who do have control surfaces set up, and use a wide range of soft-synths, etc, the easiest way of working really is to right click a knob on VST and 'learn' the controller of choice, rather than having to set up another profile for each VST (assuming the controller has profiles and you are not stuck with just one like on my CMEUF8).

It's rarely a showstopper, not a deal-breaker, because as explained by others, for most of the controllers there is an alternative way of managing, but working with a midi-controller on a DAW across several VSTs really is easier if the instruments have midi-learn as an option.

Go Back to forum