• Register
  • Help

Topic: Gibben Megas Trilogy - The Whole Thing

Share/Bookmark

Gibben Megas Trilogy - The Whole Thing

This is a free (quite !) fantasy on a familiar phrase, which may not be so easily recognized. I have used the pedal very extensively because the desired sonority demands it. The result is some blurring, which is the effect I wanted. The short snippet on which this is based is most recognizeable in the 3d movement, least in the second. The first movement was listed about two weeks ago. The 2d & 3d were just uploaded a few minutes ago. First & third are about 5 minutes each, second is about 3.

GPO Steinway (the old one!)

Gibben Megas Trilogy I

Gibben Megas Trilogy II

Gibben Megas Trilogy III

Richard

Re: Gibben Megas Trilogy - The Whole Thing

Richard

I still have no idea what this piece is based on.

There is quite a bit of clipping in the 3rd movement. A bit too hot?

Hope you let us know what this is based upon.

Ron
    "Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." Albert Einstein

http://composersforum.ning.com/profile/RonaldFerguson

Quote Originally Posted by rolifer View Post
    Richard

I still have no idea what this piece is based on.

There is quite a bit of clipping in the 3rd movement. A bit too hot?

Hope you let us know what this is based upon.

Ron
    I will check levels, and resubmit if needed.

I thought the ending would show off the Big Ben effect! That is what started this thing. The last minute or so is nothing but Big Ben about to announce the time. The whole trilogy derives from that. I do admit that my imagination got carried away a bit.

Richard

added: I just checked the levels, which are high. The dynamic range is extremely wide and if I lower the levels, I am afraid I will lose the softer sounds. Also, the sonority is intentionally blurred, and perhaps a bit muddy in the final chords, which is the only place I was conscious of distortion. I will continue to ponder the matter.

another add: I just uploaded a new mp3, lower levels, better sound. Thanks, Ron!

Richard:

Like Ron, I was a bit "at sea" during the first listening, but after I read your answer to him, It all made sense. Very clever with a bit of devilry. If notes were money you would, indeed, be a wealthy man. I love it!

On a personal note, I see you are from an area that I believe I am a descendant. I am tall, and like the darker,rainy and cooler side of mountains
    so therefore I concluded that I am a Red Woodite (Woodian??)

Steve

Richard;
    I have now listened to all 3 parts to the Gibben Megas Trilogy, can't remember if I ever got straightened out on where the name came from, but no matter.
    I don't know why I sometimes like the last of everything the most, but it is true here. Not only do I favor the last movement, but further, I really liked the "Bells" at the end especially! They rolled out lovely! Is it possible that one's geographic location somehow tempers what they create, assuming we are talking about composers? For, I think I hear something of sunny Cal in your music. Dry, sun-baked streets, a blue sky, Spanish churches, the Sierra in the background, the ocean? Who knows, but, all the same, you have presented some great, thought provoking music I'd say.
    Thanks for sharing your Gibben Megas Trilogy, Richard!
    Best regards,
    sd cisco

Well, Steve, did I ever mention that my grandfather once owned a movie theater in Bellingham? I also like the cooler side of the mountains. The west slopes of the Sierras are fare better for me than the eastern slopes. And I love watching the rain. When I was a child I would stand out in the yard and get rained on and watch and listen to the rain. The rain was one of the things I enjoyed about Saigon.

SD Cisco, plenty of California sunshine here although this summer has been cooler than most. My house is nearly encircled by a wall of trees. I can't say how many, because they are randomly spaced, and I lose count after about twenty. I think you have a point about the influence of the weather and climate on composing. I love the sound of rivers, creeks, wind in the redwoods, the rains. Since I was 5 or so, I have always loved the sound of the Big Ben chimes, beginning with a clock my uncle had.

Upon listening to the piece again, I wonder how I managed to find all that in the short snippet of the Big Ben announcing the hours!

Richard

Richard, I will tell you, I was hoping against hope that your house was surrounded by trees! (are they Redwoods?). Even if not, surrounded by trees is surrounded by trees!! Thanks again for your GMT!
    Best regards,
    sd cisco

Quote Originally Posted by sd cisco View Post
    Richard, I will tell you, I was hoping against hope that your house was surrounded by trees! (are they Redwoods?). Even if not, surrounded by trees is surrounded by trees!! Thanks again for your GMT!
    Best regards,
    sd cisco
    Well, a few thousand of the trees are Redwods. Next in number is probably Madrone, followed by Oak and Laurel. In my yard, there are only 2 Redwoods, a few oaks, apples, plums, poplar, walnut, pine and ?

To give you an idea of the look of the area, here are links to 2 photos of the house.

Roadside

Down the Road

Richard

Beautiful flowers and setting - thank you so much for sharing!

sd cisco

Go Back to forum