• Register
  • Help

Topic: Re-installation of Sib4 and GPO

Share/Bookmark

Re-installation of Sib4 and GPO

After a hard disc crash I am having to reinstall Sibelius 4 and GPO from scratch on a new drive. I have scarcely used Sib & GPO lately so I'm not ready to acquire the new toys (Sib6, GPO4) that I see are now available.

S4.1 and GPO are now individually installed and registered. But I see nothing of GPO when I go to play a score. They aren't connected. I think it's the Kontakt Silver sounds I hear (rather unlike GPO). Maybe Studio is missing?

What do I need to do next to get my orchestra back? I was a Sibelius beta tester in 2005 when I installed most of this, so the printed instructions I have are outdated or invalid.

Re: Re-installation of Sib4 and GPO

Doug,

I can't remember what I did way back when to get them to work. Sibelius did have a little program that allowed it to "talk" to GPO, but even before that it, it would work. It sounds like Sibelius can't find the GPO files. I do remember copying the files to a specific Sibelius-designated folder; can't remember it, though. I would suggest you contact Daniel Spreadbury of the the Sibelius board. Go to the Sib forum, and look for just about any post - he replies to almost everything there; place your cursor over his name, and you'll have his e-mail address.

I haven't moved up to Sib 6 yet - been too busy. But I will say that the integration of Sib 5 and GPO works great. Don't know if you can afford it, but moving up to 6 would probably be a good thing. A little learning curve - as always - but there are some significant improvements to the program.

Wish I could be of more assistance.

All the best,
    Ron Pearl

ronaldmpearl.com

myspace:

http://myspace.com/rmpearl

Hi Doug,

Yes, with Sib 6 the Personal Orchestra VST is directly hosted within Sibelius, which has the advantage of integration but the drawback of loading time for a score.

Here's how you can get Sib4 and GPO playing nicely. I am going on the assumption you are on a PC and using Kontakt Player 2. It's a little different on a Mac or with KP1.

1) Download and install MIDI Yoke:
    http://midiox.com/myoke.htm
    2) You need to start the Kontakt Player 2 first. On it, go to the MIDI setup and select MIDI Yoke Ports 1 through 4 as your MIDI Inputs. Whatever input ports you have selected in the dialog will correspond to the Instrument Ports A through D in top-down fashion. (A MIDI keyboard enabled on top of these four ports would boot MIDI Yoke In 1 to Position B.) Do not select any of these as output ports, as horrible digital feedback could result
    3) Start up Sibelius 4 and open the MIDI Devices dialog. Select "Use this device" for the four MIDI Yoke Output ports enabled in KP2. Do not select any of these as input ports here for the aforementioned feedback issue, but a MIDI keyboard is ok to enable as input. With MIDI Thru checked you will be able to hear your noodling through GPO.
    4) Go to Sibelius 4's Mixer page. For each staff, select the output port as one of the four MIDI Yoke Ports.
    5) The channel/port combinations from the Sibelius Mixer will send to KP2/GPO. So, if you have Glockenspiel coming out of Sibelius on MIDI Yoke 2, channel 7, you should load the GLockenspiel into KP2 and set its MID Input on the instrument to B-7 (MIDI Yoke 2, channel 7).

Hope this helps,
    Reegs

Doug,

I am sure Reegs has given you good advice; however, I never used MIDIYoke, or anything like that - it worked very easily. I am on a Mac, so that may be the difference. I think that the issue is that the GPO files are not in the right place for Sibelius to access them.

Don't want to start a fight. Again, check on the Sib board. Or upgrade. See how easy it is to spend other people's money?
    Ron Pearl

ronaldmpearl.com

myspace:

http://myspace.com/rmpearl

Thanks Ron & Reegs. I run a PC with XP.

I downloaded and installed myoke (?? never heard of it before). While I had previously installed KP2.2.3, I it may have been an incomplete install. I had a hell of a time getting Sib and especially GPO to install and register. Native Instruments has made things more complicated than before.

After completing an installation of Kontakt standalone I went through most of the motions Reegs describes. Then Kontakt, apparently, locked up my whole system. Even Windows Task Manager locked up, I never saw that one before.Had to turn the power off to get the machine to shut down. Bleep Kontakt and NI.

I just took Ron's advice and posted to the Sibelius chat/help page. I know Daniel, as I participated in the beta back in 05 and met him personally in California then.

Daniel answered. I was very surprised that he was no help at all. Apparently Sibelius did not give me a commercial release of GPO Sibelius Edition after the beta period. I only got the generic GPO, which does not work with Sibelius. Thanks a lot. I didn't notice before, as I continued to use the beta sounds that worked just fine. Now my beta GPO discs won't register and he says he can't give me a new serial number. No thanks for the customer service. He says since they don't sell that edition anymore he can't help. "Sorry." Yeah, me too. So now I am forced either to spring for the new Sibelius, which would cost over three times what GPO4 does, and then go through the learning curve on the new edition which I do not have the time to do, plus revamp every one of my scores, or use a kludge.

So I got midiyoke hooked up, but it seems to be a kludge. Having GPO running inside Sibelius 4 was very convenient. I only had to click on a piece that I had orchestrated and saved, the voices loaded one by one, and then I could play it back. Stop in the middle, slide the slider back a few measures to replay, no problem.

Now it seems I have to laboriously designate each staff (not just voice -- harp, harpsichord and piano require 2 staffs) in the Mixer. Many of my scores have over 20 staves in them, and I am playing with dozens of different scores. Also, in each score I apparently have to designate each staff all over again, whereas in Sibelius GPO Edition I could play any number of pieces without reloading as long as the voices were already in memory.

Am I even getting the Garritan sounds? I see no contrabassoon, no bass clarinet among the selections, no variety in solo strings (just Violin, Viola, Vc, Cb). So far it looks like my notation-playback ability is significantly degraded.

Go Back to forum