• Register
  • Help

Topic: GPO 4 Latency – Drivers and Buffer Size the truth please

Share/Bookmark

Angry GPO 4 Latency – Drivers and Buffer Size the truth please

In the Preferences setup dialog from the Tools menu on the Garritan Aria standalone interface I can choose only one of two driver types: DirectSound or MME; I don’t have an ASIO driver option for my Yamaha mixer cards (DS2416) x2, only WDM or MME. The minimum buffer size I can select for either of these drivers is 4096 samples NOT 256 samples as was implied in the GPO 4 User Manual! The latency I am experiencing is in the order of 500msec, making live performance (the very essence of GPO) impossible.
    Please can you tell me if you intend supporting WDM drivers in Garritan ARIA? Cakewalk support WDM with little latency, why not Garritan?
    Rant over.

Smile Re: GPO 4 Latency – Drivers and Buffer Size the truth please

Quote Originally Posted by Alan T View Post
    In the Preferences setup dialog from the Tools menu on the Garritan Aria standalone interface I can choose only one of two driver types: DirectSound or MME; I don’t have an ASIO driver option for my Yamaha mixer cards (DS2416) x2, only WDM or MME. The minimum buffer size I can select for either of these drivers is 4096 samples NOT 256 samples as was implied in the GPO 4 User Manual! The latency I am experiencing is in the order of 500msec, making live performance (the very essence of GPO) impossible.
    Please can you tell me if you intend supporting WDM drivers in Garritan ARIA? Cakewalk support WDM with little latency, why not Garritan?
    Rant over.
    WDM is deprecated in Vista/W7 and has been a support pain for Cakewalk for years.
    Yamaha should do Wasapi and ASIO drivers. In the mean time, please install ASIO4All, which transforms any WDM driver into ASIO with minimal overhead.

semi rant over
    David Viens, Plogue Art et Technologie Inc.
    Montreal. http://www.plogue.com

Re: GPO 4 Latency – Drivers and Buffer Size the truth please

Quote Originally Posted by David (plogue) View Post
    In the mean time, please install ASIO4All, which transforms any WDM driver into ASIO with minimal overhead.

semi rant over
    Magic! ... and like Maple MIDI it's free too!

Many thanks for your thoughtful support

Go Back to forum