• Register
  • Help

Topic: film mix sounds good on television

Share/Bookmark

Question film mix sounds good on television

hey guys....

i have noticed that all film mixes sound good on television and as well on pc
    wondering that how these guys do it

coz i have been trying to do some mix of my work but they don't sound good on television or on pc at different places so ....... even after taking the reference of tv while mixing ....
    still it sounds muffled....

so was wondering what the problem is

where as the film mix of the film sound good on any platform....

so wat the best way to do it where it work fine on all platform
    any ideas or tips or guide lines

would be great if anybody could help

thanks in advance

cheeerzzz!!!!

Re: film mix sounds good on television

You're probably not "mastering" your mix. This is done to after mixing to the final AIFF or whatever format you use.

You can buy software to do this, or you can do it in your DAW software. Mastering usually adds slight compression and EQ at certain frequencies. You'll notice that after proper mastering, your mix will sound punchier and louder even with peak levels being the same as the non-mastered mix. This makes a HUGE difference, particularly for TV scores. Before I learned to master the final tracks my mixes always sounded wimpy in comparison.

Google for articles on this subject. I remember a really good tutorial out there on the web somewhere that walks you through setting up a mastering template for Cubase.

Has nothing to do with mastering; there are seperate mixes.

On the re-recording stage, they make a film mix, and a DVD mix.

Cheers.

The OP is asking why the "same" mix sounds good on many platforms. Proper mastering techniques have everything to do with it.

I'd guess the first thing to look at is what monitors you're using.

guys...thnks for the feedback

any idea or link or site where i can get
    to watch the tutorial....
    have been searching on google but not found yet

and i have good pair of speakers for monitoring YAMAHA MSP5

and a motu 828mk2

What is your sequencer of Choice? I use Adaptive limiter and multiband compressor and a small amount of EQ if need be. I use Logic so you may not have these plugs.
    www.sounds-and-images.co.uk

And now also at Flickr!

http://flickr.com/photos/sounds-and-images/

www.myspace.com/simonfielder

NorthernSounds.NET.
    View Simon Fielder's Profile at NorthernSounds.net

Quote Originally Posted by spooky008in View Post
    guys...thnks for the feedback

any idea or link or site where i can get
    to watch the tutorial....
    have been searching on google but not found yet
    This will get you started...

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/may0...etech_0506.htm

Like has already been suggested. There are separate mixes done. The mix you hear on TV is completely different than the one you may have heard in a theater or on a DVD. Even if the material is still in 5.1 surround. For my films in the past they did a theatrical mix on a large dub stage. Then that became the original "standard." Then they took that mix (usually to a smaller room at a post house)...and folded down those stems into a NEW Dolby-E mix for television (This Dolby-E contains the flags for 5.1, pro-logic and stereo all in one). And they again folded that down and do a basic LT/RT stereo mix as well. In all cases, the mixes were tweaked and dialogue levels, music levels, etc...were re-adjusted so they sounded great in those environments.

So...when a film "sound mix" is done, (at least a proper one...many indie folks never both to spend the money)...there are usually 3-4 different mixes actually done for the various venues the film will find itself playing at in the future.

Of course, there are mastering and EQ things to do to the sound as well. One major one is to roll off any bass in any track below 20Hz for sure. Loud bass that low in the mix just muddies up the sound field. Sometimes you can roll off even higher than that.
    Regards,
    Brian W. Ralston

Check out my new FREE iPhone App! Click Here!

I've gotten a few tunes in a film and the same mix worked perfectly in the theater ( very large theater ... by the way ) on a cd and any other speakers I hear it on ... car ... tv etc.

Go Back to forum