• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: OT: a moment of sharing; overcoming adversity

Share/Bookmark

OT: a moment of sharing; overcoming adversity

Samantha's post made me think, think very hard, about my life, and everything I've been through.

I thought, maybe if I shared some of the adversity I've been through, not as a means of diminishing her's (that would be thoroughly impossible), but as a means of showing that maybe, just maybe, there might be a glimmer of hope at the end of the tunnel.

All of us go through difficult periods, and oftentimes, during those periods, our problems seem insurmountable. The whole "forest for the trees" effect comes into play.

But I have faith, I believe, I KNOW... not a religious faith, but something deep down inside me that tells me that no matter how bleak the outlook may seem, if you look in the right place, if you would only turn away from your pain for a second and seek out the helping hand that is surely stretched out to you, you WILL find aide.

20 years ago, shortly after finishing my bachelor's degree, I was diagnosed with cancer. I was in my late 20's. And my world came to a sudden end.

The day the doctor told me, I was due to sing in a performance of Boris Godounov that evening. I walked, in a daze, to the record store, maxed out my credit card on CDs, bought myself a bowtie, then went home and prepared for that evening's concert. I had two close friends next to me during the performance, one on each side, holding me up by the elbows. Thankfully, since I would not have been able to remain standing for the entire 3 hour performance.

I sank into a deep pit of despair, and waited. For the end to come.

I was in treatment for many years, on and off, with remissions followed by flare-ups. Then, one day, out of the blue, that helping hand came to me.

Professor Alan Belkin's hand was that hand. He encouraged me to register for my master's degree. After 4 years, I had my diploma, and a new lease on life. Or at least, a new outlook on life.

I'm still in treatment, and still suffer flare-ups and remissions, back and forth like a cruel seesaw, but my outlook on life has changed.

Meanwhile, I met my spouse - another cancer survivor, and we've been happily married for 8 years now. So, life can look bleak, and yes, it can get really bad at times. At least, I know that mine isn't perfect. But I have a reason to live.

And Gary Garritan's library has allowed me another glimmer of hope: it let me hear some of my music I never thought I would never get performed. And the demos I've created with GPO have advanced my career. I have commissions. I am the administrator of a music festival. I started teaching and coaching again. And most of all, I am surrounded by friends and family who love me, and whom I love deeply.

I would like to take a moment to simply send out a thank-you and an "I love you" to a few who are here on this forum:

Ron Brown, thank-you, hugs, and eternal gratitude for sharing your music with me. You are a dear friend and a great musician.

Nikolas Sideris, I know we don't speak often enough, but I hold you in such high regard that I don't believe words could express how I feel.

Samantha, I love you and cherish every moment I've spent with you, whether it was in Azeroth or speaking about music.

Adversity, it's just a word.

It can be beaten.

Michel

Re: OT: a moment of sharing; overcoming adversity

Excellent post! Belkin is the best (from what I've read of his). Michel - "a votre sante!"
    In theory there is no difference between theory and practice, but in practice there is.

http://reberclark.blogspot.com http://reberclark.bandcamp.com http://www.youtube.com/reberclark

Dear Michel:

I shall speak from my own point of view --

I believe with all my soul that this is why God has put us here.

Sincerely,
    Brian Sagraves

Michel,

Mon dieu ! Ton histoire m’a laissé complètement sans voix. Je suis profondément ému. Tu es un homme d'un grand courage et il faut vraiment que tu le saches.... alors, en anglais....

The huge amount of respect I have for you has now more than doubled....

Best wishes to you and your parter.
    Kind Regards

Louis Dekker
    My Music Site

Pour être grand, il faut avoir été petit.

Michel,

I am sorry to hear how hard your situation has been. But, I am gladdened to hear that you have also encountered friends and mentors - les anges. Sadly, we often don't know who the real heroes are, or what our own strength really is, until tested. You, mon ami, have been tested. And you have shown how strong you are. It is an inspiration for the rest of us.

Continue composing and creating. It is good for all of us!

A votre sante,
    Ron Pearl

ronaldmpearl.com

myspace:

http://myspace.com/rmpearl

all I hope is that what has happened to me can help someone else find their own inner strength, and the courage necessary to get over the hardest part, because no matter how dark and hopeless it seems at any moment, there IS light at the end of the tunnel.

Michel, Go spend a day at "Les Chutes Monte-À-Peine" and enjoy the life the best you can. SergeD

Samantha, I love you and cherish every moment I've spent with you, whether it was in Azeroth or speaking about music.

Ok Michael, for the past few days I have been crying my eyes out from a sadness I have never known. I don't quite know where it comes from, but from time to time it flares up.

Your post has brought a new flood of tears, but these are tears of deepest gratitude for the time and courage to share you story. I am still not able to find my joy again, but in time I know it will come. The sun does not shine always nor does the darkness come to stay for ever.

I love you and cherish every moment we spend together, but here and in Azeroth. I was in Negrand when you loged in today. I managed to get Heaven to lvl 62 and her mining to 378. I was toon hopping when you logged in and I was tired beyound words as I could not sleep and was up again all night. Just to give you an idea of how long, I got her mining from 266 to 378.

I know I will come throug this, but some times everything just gets dumped on me all at once. I as been kinda of imprisoned in my home since January of 2007. Circumstances do not allow me the opportunity to get out as much as I would like, but hopefully soon that will change.

Your courage in the face of your own mortality makes me appreciate my on life even more than I have been in the past few months. My prayers for you and &M will remind me of the blessings I do have and not worry so much about the parts that seem to be missing at the moment.

And to all who offer words of encouragement and comfort I say thank you as well.
    Samantha Penigar
    http://www.myspace.com/samanthapenigar

http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/...p?userid=13306

Dream it! Then Do it! Good things come to those who work while they wait. [COLOR=purple]Persistence[/COLO

Quote Originally Posted by AMDG View Post
    Dear Michel:

I shall speak from my own point of view --

I believe with all my soul that this is why God has put us here.

Sincerely,
    Brian Sagraves
    As I wrote in my post to say thanks to Gary for his astronomical contrubution to humanity some people come to make a difference in the course of human history. I guess I just have to keep reminding myself to work hard at giving my best and doing what I can to help someone else's journey through this life better, then perhaps, I will focus less on my own life's pain.
    Samantha Penigar
    http://www.myspace.com/samanthapenigar

http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/...p?userid=13306

Dream it! Then Do it! Good things come to those who work while they wait. [COLOR=purple]Persistence[/COLO

Samantha,

It has saddened me to read of your difficult times, my friend.

Having taken my own harsh share of the bitter goods life can
    sometimes deliver, I hope I can add resonance to Michel's clear
    voice in telling you, absolutely without doubt, that there is,
    always, "light at the end of the tunnel".

For me, there were no ready "solutions", no "quick fixes". Nor,
    for some things for me, will there ever be. So is the case for
    Michel, certainly. And perhaps for you, as well.

But the ascension of grace is found in the acceptance of that
    which is; while continuing to reach outward into the world,
    contributing your own gifts and strengths to the enrichment of
    the lives of those around you.

This is what life is for. We're here to learn, yes. We're here
    to work, yes. But more than anything else, we are here to help
    each other on our journeys and to light each other's paths.

That realization alone was what led me through the darkest of
    times, lent purpose and direction for me no matter how raw and
    formidable the challenges of despair were. May I hope that you
    find this very same recognition within your own heart...

Each night when I speak with our Maker, Samantha, I will be
    thinking of you, asking His guidance and kindness for you. And
    I am certain, too, that your family here, each in his or her own
    way, will be doing likewise.

My best,

David
    -----
    David Sosnowski
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Go Back to forum