• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: GPO 4 Mac System Requirements

Share/Bookmark

GPO 4 Mac System Requirements

At http://www.garritan.com/products_gpo4.html the System Requirements say:

"2.8 Ghz Core 2 Duo MacIntel or better for Mac"

Surely this is not right? It's much higher than any previous version of GPO, and vastly higher than the PC requirements (2.8 Ghz CPU Pentium 4 or better -- a 2.8 GHz P4 is of course dramatically slower than even a 2 GHz Core 2 Duo).

Apple only very recently released 2.8 GHz Core 2 Duo MacBook Pros, and those are the absolute top-of-the line portable machines. Regular (non-"Pro") MacBooks currently top out at a 2.53 GHz Core 2 Duo.

Did the system requirements on the Mac side just get much, much steeper, or is this a typo?

Re: GPO 4 Mac System Requirements

Quote Originally Posted by Thad View Post
    At http://www.garritan.com/products_gpo4.html the System Requirements say:

"2.8 Ghz Core 2 Duo MacIntel or better for Mac"

Surely this is not right? It's much higher than any previous version of GPO, and vastly higher than the PC requirements (2.8 Ghz CPU Pentium 4 or better -- a 2.8 GHz P4 is of course dramatically slower than even a 2 GHz Core 2 Duo).

Apple only very recently released 2.8 GHz Core 2 Duo MacBook Pros, and those are the absolute top-of-the line portable machines. Regular (non-"Pro") MacBooks currently top out at a 2.53 GHz Core 2 Duo.

Did the system requirements on the Mac side just get much, much steeper, or is this a typo?
    thad,

Probably a typo. 2.0 Core Duo should be more than enough. Actually I am running GPO ARIA on a 1.6 ghz netbook.

Best wishes,

Gary

Great, Gary, thanks for the clarification. If memory serves, 2.0 GHz Core 2 Duo was the previous requirement for GPO on an Intel Mac.

Ah, I see this question has come up before:

http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/...ad.php?t=68324

David Viens's answer is:

"I use a 1.78 GHz Dual Core Mac Book Pro (first models) to develop ARIA.

Any MacIntel works fine."

You should definitely correct that info on the GPO4 page!

I was a bit shocked at the Mac requirements too!
    Hopefully the info on the main page will be changed soon to stop sharp intakes of breath all over the world!

I guess I'm pushing my luck with a G5 2.0 Dual?

Time to save for a new computer....
    Trilian, GPO 4, JABB, EZDrummer, Superior Drums, Logic 9, and too many guitars.

Quote Originally Posted by Kwackman View Post
    I was a bit shocked at the Mac requirements too!
    Hopefully the info on the main page will be changed soon to stop sharp intakes of breath all over the world!

I guess I'm pushing my luck with a G5 2.0 Dual?
    Dual 2.0 G5 here too. I thought Aria engine was supposed to be more efficient than the NI player??

Time to save for a new computer....
    Not me. Not in this economy.

Anyway.... what's up with G5 support? Yeah or ney?

Quote Originally Posted by qbert View Post
    Dual 2.0 G5 here too. I thought Aria engine was supposed to be more efficient than the NI player??
    In terms of raw horse power, yes, a dual G5 is more than powerful enough for ARIA.
    However PPC is a very different architecture and is not officially supported by Garritan.

It works fine for most of us, but there's no guarantee that it will run flawlessly on every PPC system.
    David Viens, Plogue Art et Technologie Inc.
    Montreal. http://www.plogue.com

Quote Originally Posted by David (plogue) View Post
    It works fine for most of us, but there's no guarantee that it will run flawlessly on every PPC system.
    Thanks for the reply. Are there any reports of it not working properly on a PPC system?

I have a G5 1.8 ghz, 2G RAM Mac. I
    have run GPO (not GPO4) on it for four years simultaneously with Sibelius just fine. I realize the PPC is no longer officially supported, but are you saying that GPO4 is significantly more CPU intensive than earlier versions? That's not unreasonable - but I guess the questions is whether or not what I have will work.

Or is the $49 upgrade just the tip of the upgrade iceberg? New computer?

Sigh...
    Ron Pearl

ronaldmpearl.com

myspace:

http://myspace.com/rmpearl

Quote Originally Posted by rpearl View Post
    I realize the PPC is no longer officially supported, but are you saying that GPO4 is significantly more CPU intensive than earlier versions?
    Despite early claims that GPO4 would be much more efficient on the CPU than the Kontakt player, this does appear to be the case.

I guess I'll stay put with my current set-up for the foreseeable future.

Looking forward to hearing more GPO4 G5 reports, however...

Go Back to forum