• Register
  • Help

Topic: GPO4 and notation programs

Share/Bookmark

GPO4 and notation programs

After extensive searching, I find no list of notation programs and their versions that are compatible with the new GPO 4th edition. Not in any spec sheet I've seen, nor the manual at /products_gpo4.html. I'm trying to figure out if it will work with my Sibelius 4.1, because that will be my exclusive use for the sounds.

I've driven GPO with Sib4 since I was a beta tester for the GPO Sibelius Edition product. GPO4 will surely not work in the same way (I won't particularly miss Kontakt), but will it work at all and preserve the articulations, etc?

Re: GPO4 and notation programs

Can't say for Sibelius 4. I use Finale '09 and it works flawlessly. Hopefully someone will chime in here soon as there's lots of Sibelius users on this forum. I certainly don't miss Kontakt, though I still have to use it when working with JABB and C&MB.

Gary A.
    Serenity Musician Productions (Gary A.)

Lenovo ThinksStation S30, Windows 10 Professional 64-bit, 20 gig ram, 2 terabyte hd., M-Audio Fast Track, Finale25, Sonar Professional

Hi,

I'm using it with Sibelius 3, so I can say for certain that it will work for older versions of notation programs

For programs that do not support Aria/VST hosting (Sib 4 and under, Finale 2008 and under, earlier versions of Encore and Overture), the big difference is that you need to use instances of the Aria standalone instead of VSTi's. You run the standalone instances alongside your notation program and use a pair of Virtual MIDI Cables to move MIDI data over to GPO for playback. On PC, MidiYoke is a good free one. Mac has one built-in. Once you get the MIDI Cable on your system, just go into the playback controls of the notation program and set the output ports to MIDI Yoke. On the Standalone Aria instances, set the input ports under preferences to the corresponding inputs. Then, match channels for instruments between the two apps and you should be good to go!

It is the same approach as in previous versions of GPO.

Hope this helps,

Reegs

Thanks (again), reegs. I did get GPO2 to work, fitfully, with Sib4 after my system crash, but only standalone via the virtual midi cables. After using the automated voice loading in GPO Sibelius Edition, this is a lot of work. The GPO4 sounds are tempting but the prospect of loading staff by staff in all my scores is very discouraging.

Doug,

Both the KP2 and GPO4/Aria releases support multi/ensemble presets. If you have a specific score template in Sibelius (full orchestra, for example), you could create a template score once and only set up all of the MIDI channels from the score out once to a bunch of KP2 or Aria instances once. Then just save configurations for each KP2/Aria instance, and to start a new project all you need to do is a Save As from the template and a Load command from each standalone KP2/Aria instance. If you want to go from full orchestra to string orchestra or woodwind quintet you can just remove the extra staves. This approach may save you some clicking.

Reegs

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Smith View Post
    After extensive searching, I find no list of notation programs and their versions that are compatible with the new GPO 4th edition. Not in any spec sheet I've seen, nor the manual at /products_gpo4.html. I'm trying to figure out if it will work with my Sibelius 4.1, because that will be my exclusive use for the sounds.

I've driven GPO with Sib4 since I was a beta tester for the GPO Sibelius Edition product. GPO4 will surely not work in the same way (I won't particularly miss Kontakt), but will it work at all and preserve the articulations, etc?
    Hello Doug,

I can confirm that the full GPO 4 with Aria integrates perfectly with Finale 2010.
    Michael
    Patience is a virtue, sensitivity is a gift

Quote Originally Posted by Michael_uk View Post
    Hello Doug,

I can confirm that the full GPO 4 with Aria integrates perfectly with Finale 2010.
    Ditto. It will work seamlessly with Finale 2010.

We are awaiting the Sibelius 6.1 update which will have full GPO4 compatibility.

Best

~Gary

Quote Originally Posted by Garritan View Post

We are awaiting the Sibelius 6.1 update which will have full GPO4 compatibility.

Best

~Gary
    Great news - from the chatter on the Sib board, that seemed to be the case. Looking forward to it!
    Ron Pearl

ronaldmpearl.com

myspace:

http://myspace.com/rmpearl

Quote Originally Posted by Garritan View Post

Best

~Gary
    I have installed ARIA on my MacPro with no problems, but in Sibelius 5 ARIA is seen WITHOUT GPO4 soundset. There is GM etc. but what allows of executing the notation is not there. To make it clear: in KP2 I have JABB, GPO and Sibelius Essentials. In ARIA there are only generic sets, none allowing for using "notation" soundsets. Any explanation, or better a simple help?

Go Back to forum