• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: GPO4: DFD by default? Upgrade to ProjectSAM?

Share/Bookmark

GPO4: DFD by default? Upgrade to ProjectSAM?

Hi, some questions after reading the online manual of GPO4:

Is the DFD mode the used by default in ARIA?
    I understood that you can limit the use of ram from 128-512mb, so the rest is streamed from disk? Is not loaded entirely in ram like with KP?

In the manual also is refered that you can upgrade the Sam Brasses with an special price for gpo4 owners?
    Will this upgrade also work in ARIA?
    Any link?

Thanks!
    Marcelo Colina

Re: GPO4: DFD by default? Upgrade to ProjectSAM?

Quote Originally Posted by marce View Post
    Hi, some questions after reading the online manual of GPO4:

Is the DFD mode the used by default in ARIA?
    I understood that you can limit the use of ram from 128-512mb, so the rest is streamed from disk? Is not loaded entirely in ram like with KP?

In the manual also is refered that you can upgrade the Sam Brasses with an special price for gpo4 owners?
    Will this upgrade also work in ARIA?
    Any link?

Thanks!
    Marce,

The library has a small footprint and most can load a full orchestra with a gig of RAM, so DFD is not an issue either way,

We are still working with Project SAM to provide an upgrade path and will post something when ready. The upgrade will be Kontakt-based.

Best,

Gary

Thanks the quick answer Gary! Im not worry about the DFD, only wanted to know, thinking in how it works when loading some heavy external sfz files (thinking to load some of the Sampletekk pianos converted to it)

Good to know about the ProjectSam upgrade.
    Marcelo Colina

Quote Originally Posted by Garritan View Post
    ...The library has a small footprint and most can load a full orchestra with a gig of RAM, so DFD is not an issue either way...
    Hi, Gary - I'm not clear on how things are working now in Aria, I'm surprised at myself, but there it is. I recently had trouble rendering a track using Aria, getting not clicks and pops, but "bumps" in the audio, even when recording at real time speed.

I was told the problem was that my computer wasn't chasing the DFD info fast enough to make a good recording. I've changed an option in Sonar so that my multiprocessor is temporarily turned off during rendering, but I haven't done enough recording recently to know if that's totally fixed the problem.

But this answer I got about the problem made it seem that instead of instruments being loaded in RAM like in the previous GPO, that they were being read straight from disc - ? All I know is that previous to this, I never had a problem getting a good recording from GPO, even when keeping the "fast bounce" option in Sonar on. - ? -

Randy

Maybe we need an option to disable DFD in ARIA for either a whole library or per sound. I noticed I've been getting more pops lately and I'm thinking it's caused by too many different libraries and sample engines using DFD at the same time. With 64 bit apps I have plenty of memory to have GPO load totally in memory.

Jim

Hi, Jim - Your post is echoing the kind of problem I had - And I'm still confused. Gary is talking about GPO loading in RAM and DFD not being an issue - but--When we render tracks, it's all DFD action isn't it--?

Randy

ARIA always streams unless the samples are very small... you can raise the pre caching time in the settings tab, before loading ANY sound.

With regards to Sonar, Ive said it before, there are THREE modes to render audio, use Fast, or SONAR doesnt TELL aria its rendering! Aria needs to know when its doing a bounce in order to read the samples differently than in "real time". If it doesnt get that info, (it changes according to the mode), then it will skip audio, as any library that has a fine tuned system of streaming its own audio.

ARIA doesnt have a user-selectable RAM ONLY mode, because people would try that with steinway and break the 2GB barrier. (you can specify whole libraries to behave RAM ONLY thought, but its not enabled in GPO4)

DFD is NI's terminology.
    David Viens, Plogue Art et Technologie Inc.
    Montreal. http://www.plogue.com

All I know is that previous to this, I never had a problem getting a good recording from GPO, even when keeping the "fast bounce" option in Sonar on. - ?
    Hi Randy. Just remember that ARIA is a newborn baby compared with the older Kontakt... it just need grow a little and that will take some time.
    I havent upgrade yet, but i believe that is a good thing that ARIA have a DFD mode. If you are working exclusively with GPO it´s fine to load all in RAM, but what about if you are working with others libraryes as well, that use several GB of samples?
    DFD if working right, must not give you problems when rendering. Looking the Kontakt demo i see that it allow the user to load the samples in DFD mode or in RAM, you choose. That can be a good idea for ARIA in advanced mode or so.

Well, please tell us how this issues are going about the DFD mode, i would like to know.

Edit: Hi David, sorry i post at same time than you, im reading just now your post.
    Marcelo Colina

Thanks for the replies, David and Marce - OK, so DFD Is a much bigger issue in Aria than it was/is in KP2. I've just been trying to understand how GPO4 fits in with the previous concept that RAM was where samples were loaded - That isn't the case now, the samples are streamed, and so RAM isn't as critical as it was before--Am I understanding correctly?

Hmmm, something I'm not getting from your post, David, is you're saying we Should bounce in "fast" mode in Sonar otherwise Aria won't understand the task being asked of it. But that causes more problems than when I record in real time speed - ? -

I need to keep doing more projects to be able to report what happens with the most consistency. My interest in this topic is because in my first Aria project, I had, for the first time, a real heck of a time getting an unflawed audio track out of the Bass string ensemble patch. I ended up having to use a volume envelope to drop the volume down during the glitches, and have a KP2 rendered track of the same instrument fill those gaps. - I'll just keep an eye/ear on how things go as I make more music via Aria.

Randy

Hi Randy. I remember when you helped me because i have problems rendering the GPO Piano in KP2. It sounded OK played in realtime but when rendering, notes were skipped. I uncheck the "Fast bounce" like you suggested and it solve the situation.
    Now appear that what we have learned must be forgotten.The "Fast bounce" is checked by default in the Sonar render dialog, so point for ARIA, because it is working ok with the sonar factory settings.

Anyway, if what David pointed to you dont solve the situation, meanwhile you can use what i used to solve my old KP2 issue: a free and nice plugin that record in realtime the output of Sonar to a Wav file, exactly like you hear it.
    It´s called "TapeIt" and is here, can help:

http://www.silverspike.com/Download/TapeIt.zip

Edit: You need to put it in your Master Channel, after any other fx plugin you have there.
    Marcelo Colina

Go Back to forum