• Register
  • Help

Topic: Round Midnight

Round Midnight

Hello Everyone,

This is my first attempt using JABB. The midi file was prepared by Jan Halsema, who is an excellent alto saxophonist, and modified by me. Jan played the trumpet solo using an Electronic Wind Instrument.

The electric piano is from the Roland TTS 1 and the rest of the instruments are from JABB and GPO.

Any suggestions and comments would be gratefully received.

Best wishes,

Re: Round Midnight

Very nice, very relaxing. I think you may want to raise the volume of the accompaniment; seems a bit quiet. The solo is beautiful and overall the work plays very professionally.

Great job!

"...Wiktor's a Jekyll-Hyde personality..." - Lycos Music

Very nice presentation of this standard jazz classic. The
    electronic wind instrument brings a lot of realism to this
    stage and is a definite plus for interpreting this kind of music.
    The solo instruments stand out very well, but Michael's suggestion
    of raising the accompaniment (just a pinch, not too much) might
    increase the "live" environment a little. Maybe not, but that's your

Thought the ending was a little abrupt.

Great job on this Albert. Really great solos.

Jack Cannon--Toshiba laptop, 2.8 GHz CPU, 1.5 GB RAM, GPO4-JABB3-Auth. STEINWAY-Gofriller CELLO-Stradivari VIOLIN-COMB2-WORLD, FINALE 2009/11, RME Digiface, Cardbus, V-Stack---Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 8, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express.--MacBook Pro 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

Fabulous, Albert! - You have to be excited by the results you got--So smart to have Jan play the Trumpet via an EWI - Isn't that just a spectacular result? Yes indeed it is!

Tossing in my agreement that the rest of the instruments could come up a bit. And I feel the strings have a bit of the "keyboardist playing chords with a string patch" feel to them - meaning they could be helped with some detail work.

But - I loved what I heard - Thanks!

Suburban NYC

Hey, Gypsy,

I enjoyed this ... Nice job, and, WOW, what a great tune! Let's give a quick shout-out to Thelonius Monk for the composition, arguably his best and most famous. And to Jan: KILLER solo!

It's funny, on one hand, I agree with the other comments about the string writing ... it does come off as keyboard-istic. But the overall sound (and chordal approach to the strings) is also very similar to albums from Dave Grusin's GRP stable of artists. It seems on many of these dates, a combo of electric piano and high synth strings provided the color palate and that's what your chart sounds like to me. The EWI solo sounds a little synthy in the high notes and I think that also contributes (nicely) to the overall sound. IOW, if I don't think of the strings/EWI solo as acoustical instruments, it sounds kinda cool!

If you were going for an orchestral rendering, try moving one of the string voices in the string harmony on every quarter note ... with Monk's rich and nearly constantly moving extended harmony, this song can easily accommodate a ton of suspensions ... just one way to approach it.

Let me say again ... as-is, this is still a very enjoyable piece; thanks for sharing!

Southern Ontario, Canada

Hello there Gypsy;
    Well, I am checking this out for the second time, and it sounds better and more together than ever! My first hearing was at the inauspicious hour of 7:45 am and even under those harsh conditions, it really caught my ear, then, as now. The horn most certainly is fabulous sounding and fabulously played!
    Your percussion tracks are perfect for the mood. Also, I praise the bass line, sound and delivery, just dead-on. As for the strings and electric piano, they are perfect and I couldn't care less if they sound synthetic, like they're supposed to, right? I would have been disappointed if they were otherwise.
    So overall, very impressive and cool!! Really, way-cool!
    Thanks for sharing, still enjoying the third time around!
    Best regards,
    sd cisco

Hello All,

Thanks for your helpful comments.

Michael and Jack - Thanks for your comments. I agree with you about the accompianment, but on the original WAV file the supporting instruments are more prominent. I am wondering how some of the volume has been lost in the conversion to mp3.

Randy - You are right, I am really pleased with the way JABB has come through on this piece. I got the sounds I was looking for. I love all the cc adjustments that can be made to it. I did mean to have the strings sounding a bit synthy, as I was looking to add a little modernity to this wonderful standard. Also, as you know, I do struggle with GPO strings and this was an easy get-out for me!!!! As far as Jan's solo is concerned, I thought it was really impressive - so much so that, being a saxophonist, I am considering getting an EWI myself.

Frank - Thanks for your comments you have a good ear - I am a big Dave Grusin fan. Thanks for the tip re the strings.

sd cisco - Thanks for listening (twice wow) and your kind comments, I am glad you enjoyed it. The trumpet is JABB trumpet 1 with bucket mute. Regarding the strings see the comments above to Randy.

Best wishes,

Hi, Albert - I've been following the thread, and I understand now what you were doing with the strings. Yes, that is a completely legitimate, abstracted way to use string sounds in this kind of setting.

Maybe it works best when a less natural string synth patch is used instead of samples, but that's probably debatable. I'm thinking of how we still hear a lot of "strings" synth sounds used in TV soundtracks, for instance, and it is effective - I often stop and listen, realizing that if the writer had used string samples, the effect wouldn't be nearly as right.

But my point really of being here again is to say--I get it!--And also to say again how much I admire this project. Amazing solo work - I can see why you're inspired to get yourself an EWI--I would be too, but I'd have a big curve to learn the fingering. The solo tracks on this are amazing, and I don't know how anyone could say there's anything vaguely "synthy" about them. I enjoyed them in the same way I would a recording of a real world analog instrument, no mental adjustment needed.

Thanks again for the music!

Wow, fantastic job on this, Albert -- the solo
    work, particularly, is blow-them-away good.

Thoroughly enjoyed this. Much applause!

My best,

David Sosnowski

Go Back to forum