• Register
  • Help

Topic: A Question Regarding GPO4

Share/Bookmark

A Question Regarding GPO4

Hello,
    I've just installed GPO4.
    I've noticed that playing GPO4 as a plugin, I cannot get auto legato to work. Whenever I turn it on there is no sound coming out of the instrument I've chosen. The dial button for note length changes to 0% in the "Instrument Controls" section. Why is that?

Thank you.

Edit: In the stand-alone mode the auto legato feature works but strangely the instruments sound more legato when this feature is off than when it is on.
    When AL is turned on polyphony is not possible, as should be.
    Q6600 Quad Core 2.4GHz, 4GB RAM, E-MU 1616m audio interface, Cubase Studio 4.1.2, Windows XP Pro sp.3, Omnisphere, Atmosphere, Addictive Drums, Amplitube 2 + Jimi Hendrix, Monstrous

Re: A Question Regarding GPO4

Hi, Yairhol - You've been so active on the GPO4 discussions, so it's great to see you've now made the plunge and have downloaded it.

EDIT: See Pascal's response farther down the thread. He explains that the Length knob IS supposed to change when AL is engaged. I was incorrect--So ignore the below!

But something's very wrong in what you described. Turning on AL shouldn't be effecting the length knob. Are you talking about clicking on the AL knob manually, or controlling it via MIDI CC 102? The Length control is operated by CC 21 - and of course those controllers are listed next to their knobs. But the two functions shouldn't be effecting each other.

Tony or another techie type needs to figure out what's wrong with your installation if you can't discover some kind of user error.

As to why you hear Legato sounding better with AL off in stand-alone - That is probably a matter of you discovering what your preference is. AL isn't meant to totally replace standard CC64 Legato, but to be there if one wants to use it and is happy with the sound. During Beta testing there was quite a bit of discussion about the effects of AL. We basically ended up deciding it seemed to be a matter of personal preference if it's to be used or not.

There is a problem using CC64 control though - the instruments which used to be monophonic in KP2 no longer are, so one has to do a lot of hand editing of notes to make sure they don't overlap too much. I recall seeing a post where it was said this could be changing in an upgrade.

Back to your main problem -
    You either have a scrambled install, or you're confusing the use of CCs--?

Randy

Hi Randy,
    Thanks for your reply.
    First of all, I have no idea why but now after I've closed Cubase and opened it again the AL button is working. I can actually hear the instrument with the AL button turned on. So that's one problem solved...somehow.
    Whenever the AL button is turned on and I play a legato passage the length dial (CC21) changes from 49% (default) to 0%. Although AL is CC102 it still affects CC21. I don't know why or if it's supposed to be but that's how it's working for me. I haven't changed any setting yet from the default.

Any insights are welcome.
    Thanks.
    Q6600 Quad Core 2.4GHz, 4GB RAM, E-MU 1616m audio interface, Cubase Studio 4.1.2, Windows XP Pro sp.3, Omnisphere, Atmosphere, Addictive Drums, Amplitube 2 + Jimi Hendrix, Monstrous

Howdy, Yairhol - Well that's good to hear that closing and re-opening Cubase seemed to clear some things up.

"...Although AL is CC102 it still affects CC21. I don't know why or if it's supposed to be..."

As I said earlier, that's not the way it's supposed to be - At least, that isn't how it works on my computer. There's something wrong in either your installation or in your MIDI controller.

EDIT: I was NOT correct about this. See Pascal's response several posts down. He explains that the Length knob should be moving when AL is engaged. Why it doesn't do that on my computer is a mystery - but Yairhol's observation was of something that is supposed to happen.

(to help future readers of this thread from being confused)

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by yairhol View Post
    Whenever the AL button is turned on and I play a legato passage the length dial (CC21) changes from 49% (default) to 0%. Although AL is CC102 it still affects CC21. I don't know why or if it's supposed to be but that's how it's working for me.
    When using AL, note length(CC21) is set to 0% with the first note of the legato passage and return to it's previous value(49% in your case) just before release of the last legato note.
    It is to avoid overlapping between legato notes.

Randy look the Length knob while playing with AL, it should do exactly what yairhol described.
    Pascal Maheux, Plogue Art et Technologie Inc.
    Montréal. http://www.plogue.com

Hi, Pascal - THANK you for the scoop on this. --I don't know what the story is, but here on my computer, the Length knob doesn't change when AL is engaged and I'm playing an instrument . - ?

But having at least some understanding of how AL works, your explanation makes sense --hmmmm, my AL sounds OK, --but that knob isn't moving ---

Yairhol--Good to know that what you described is normal!

Randy

Thank you Randy and Pascal.
    Randy, it seems that you have something going on differently in the ARIA player than the rest of us.
    See another problem that I've encountered with the ARIA player in my recent new thread.

Thanks again.

Go Back to forum