• Register
  • Help

Topic: New piece, question too...

Share/Bookmark

Re: New piece, question too...

Justin,

Something you can do to help things out when tranfering from a notation program is to import the file into your sequencer as a midi file then \"humanize\" the heck out of it. I\'m not real familar with Sonar but I\'ll bet that there is a quantiniztion feature in there that will humanize the parts.

Hope this helps,

Donnie

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by donnie:
    Justin,
    I\'m not real familar with Sonar but I\'ll bet that there is a quantiniztion feature in there that will humanize the parts.

Hope this helps,

Donnie
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Unfortunately Donnie, Cakewalk does not have a \"humanize\" type quantization. I sure wish it did. The thing that I do is lightly quantize whatever I think might need to be tightened up to about 57 percent using 8th notes, 16th notes, 32nd notes or whatever the song calls for. Sometimes it\'s good to not quantize at all for parts, especially slow strings.

New piece, question too...

Hello everyone

I just finished another piece and have posted it on my page at mp3.com:
    http://artists.mp3s.com/artists/306/justin_sims.html

Still trying to figure out how to get more realism from my samples. Do you all play the music manually to record the midi or have a notation program play it? I\'ve tried both, obviously playing is much more realistic but I always have problems with timing. Also, anyone use a delta-66 with sonar and giga, I can\'t get mine to work, there is always a crackle in the recording. Midiman tech support told me the problem was that I\'m running sonar on win98. Is this true?

Justin Sims

I don\'t think many people rely on a notation program t play their pieces. It would sound very robotic and unatural. They play the notes in with sme type of midi controller and do some HEAVY editing t get these pieces to sound good.

I know when I\'m doing drum midi tracks, it\'s the track that takes the most time because I try to make it sound as human as possible. Try not to quantize 100% try maybe 78-80 better yet, try to play as perfect as you can and you won\'t need to quantize. You\'ll never play everything perfectly on beat on tick. It will always sound more realistic that way. It\'s this imperfection which make it sound human. edit various velocities shape you phrases with filter and expression etc.....

As far as Sonar, I don\'t know. I have a delta 44 and not had ONE crackle at all. I hve to reboot win98 every 3 hours but other thatn that. I never ever have crackles with any piano/instrument. I have an Athlon 750 with 768MB of ram.

Go Back to forum