• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Windows 7

Share/Bookmark

Windows 7

Anyone messed around with Windows 7, yet? I'm building a music computer and my current hangup is to OS. I need one, and haven't got a ton a money right now (read, I shot my wad on Garritan products without thinking about what I would run them on...)

Anyway, I can use Windows 7 Release Candidate for free until next March (so can you, if you like), and was wondering if anyone else is working with it, yet.

Tech specs - I'll be running Sonar 7, Finale 2007, and the various Garritan Libraries, both KP and Aria.

Re: Windows 7

Yep,

Seven is really nice. I got Sonar 7 PE running on it without many issues. Most came from driver support. Fortunately there are some legacy modes you can run most of your hardware in until W7 driver releases. No experience with Finale on it. Garritan plugins seemed to run OK too.

I've been using Windows 7 RTM version for the past week on my non-music machine. I'm really liking it. It loads up much quicker and shuts down in a fraction of the time of Windows XP. Some of the issues I was having with XP have disappeared as well.

I'm going to wait until I upgrade my music computer before installing the x64 version of Windows 7. It is time consuming moving over everything to the new OS.

Jim

Isn't the startup animation lovely?

Hi raweber,

I installed Windows 7 RC on my laptop to test, and I liked it so much [better than Vista] that I installed it on my main desktop. I've had minimal issues, and it seems the programs I've tried are actually more compatible with Windows 7 than they were with Vista. I've had no problems running Finale 09 with GPO 4, Adobe CS4, and several games.

If you do have a compatibility issue beyond changing the Windows compatibility settings, Microsoft also provides a Windows XP virtual machine you can download separately. It basically runs a full version of XP inside Windows 7, so it's slower, but does the job for really old software.

Even though I was able to install the upgrade on top of Vista, I would do a backed-up, clean install of Windows 7 for simplicity.

In summation, I think it's what Windows Vista should have been. I would highly recommend upgrading.

cellist
    Maybe I should have come up with a more original username.

On the Windows XP emulation in Windows 7, I believe I
    read that that's only available on Pro and Ultimate (not
    Home) versions. Anyone know if that's correct?

Great to hear that things seem to be going relatively
    smoothly for those of you running the RTM!

Best,

David
    -----
    David Sosnowski
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

David, that's correct. XP Mode is available in Pro, Enterprise, and Ultimate editions of Windows 7. The Windows 7 Release Candidate is an Ultimate build, so it supports XP Mode.

As a side note to those who have XP/2000 and haven't upgraded to Vista yet, I'd wait to upgrade until Win7 or beyond. Vista has not been a pleasant experience.
    Maybe I should have come up with a more original username.

Quote Originally Posted by Haydn View Post

I'm going to wait until I upgrade my music computer before installing the x64 version of Windows 7. It is time consuming moving over everything to the new OS.

Jim
    Same here. I think when all runs fine and ram is cheaper we PC users will be in a wonderland! Whats a Mac?
    "Music is the shorthand of emotion." Leo Tolstoy

Listen to me, tuning my triangle http://www.box.net/shared/ae822u6r3i

Windows 7 RTM seems to work fine, and the Vista drivers for my Edirol UA-101 installed with the compatibility trick (they haven't released the drivers for W7 yet.)

It seems a little more responsive on the same hardware.

Keith W.

To use the XP Compatibility mode you must have a CPU that supports processor-based virtualization support (Intel and AMD). So you would need one of the newer CPU's installed. My older Core 2 Duo doesn't have this support so I'm not able to use this mode.

Jim

Go Back to forum