• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: GPO4 Notation Samples

Share/Bookmark

GPO4 Notation Samples

The new GPO4 manual has no reference to use of Notation sounds as per old manual.

Q1: Is the operation exactly the same as documented for GPO3?

Q2: Or are there changes we should know about?

Thanks.
    Richard
    Hong Kong
    ---------------
    Sonar 8PE, EWQLSO, GPO4, M-tron, Omnisphere, & VSM.
    Fantom XR and Radias modules.

Re: GPO4 Notation Samples

Quote Originally Posted by RichardHK View Post
    The new GPO4 manual has no reference to use of Notation sounds as per old manual.

Q1: Is the operation exactly the same as documented for GPO3?

Q2: Or are there changes we should know about?

Thanks.
    Hi...
    Basically the same. CC68 legato, unified Keyswitches, etc!

Snor
    Jim Williams
    Professor of Capitalism
    N9EJR
    Indianapolis Brass Choir
    All Your Bass Sus&Short Are Belong to Us.

...The new GPO4 manual has no reference to use of Notation sounds...
    Oops! Now how did we miss that? - Amazing, isn't it? Good sized group of people get together, spend time pouring over everything in the manual, yet something as basic as explaining how to use the Notation instruments is neglected - !

Thanks for the note, Richard.

Randy

Thanks for super-quick response Jim and Randy.
    Yes, amazing how things can get missed in review. Some first time GPO users may be scratching their heads when they face the drop-down choice between standard and notation samples.
    Richard
    Hong Kong
    ---------------

Hi - I am one of those new to GPO4 scrathing my head over when and how to use the notation samples. Is there any way for me to get documentation on this feature?

Quote Originally Posted by jgale View Post
    Hi - I am one of those new to GPO4 scrathing my head over when and how to use the notation samples. Is there any way for me to get documentation on this feature?
    Hi, Jgale...

If you are not using Finale, you can effectively ignore the notation instruments. They were designed primarily to interface with Finale's "Human Playback" (HP) feature. (They may be used in Sibelius; I don't know, since I use Sibelius so rarely)
    And if you do use Finale with Human Playback, the notation instruments are selected automatically by Human Playback, so no user intervention is required in that case.

The notation instruments have two main features:
    1. Use of CC68 instead of CC64 for legato.
    2. "Unified" Keyswitches in the same location, regardless of instrument, for keyswitched instruments.

There are no differences in the actual SOUND between a given "standard" instrument and its corresponding "notation" instrument--they use the same core sample; they just have slightly different programming to correspond to Human Playback in Finale.

So don't worry about the notation set...if you don't use Finale and HP, they offer little or no advantage. If you do use Finale with HP, use of the notation instruments is automatic.

The only caveat is: If you DO use a notation instrument, make sure NOT to have CC64 as legato, or you will hear a "piano-pedalled bassoon." It will be readily evident!!

But your point about saying SOMETHING in the manual about notation instruments is well taken. If Randy doesn't raise the issue, I will .

Jim W.
    Jim Williams
    Professor of Capitalism
    N9EJR
    Indianapolis Brass Choir
    All Your Bass Sus&Short Are Belong to Us.

Hi Jim,

Thanks for your extra input on topic. There is another feature of notation samples mentioned in the 'old' manual, and that is capability for +/- 12 semitone range for pitch bend. But even in old manual, no info on how to program this - would we simply divide the 8,192 to zero into 12 increments?

Is this +/-12 steps available do you know? Yes, I could test tomorrow (bedtime now) but wanted to get my other question in anyway.

Portamento equally sparse on docs. Trial n error to get a suitable CC#20 value, and it never seems to be consistent. Go below about 70 and it doesn't work at all.
    Richard
    Hong Kong
    ---------------

Hi Jim,

Thanks for your extra input on topic. There is another feature of notation samples mentioned in the 'old' manual, and that is capability for +/- 12 semitone range for pitch bend. But even in old manual, no info on how to program this - would we simply divide the 8,192 to zero into 12 increments?

Is this +/-12 steps available do you know? Yes, I could test tomorrow (bedtime now) but wanted to get my other question in anyway.

Portamento equally sparse on docs. Trial n error to get a suitable CC#20 value, and it never seems to be consistent. Go below about 70 and it doesn't work at all.
    That was necessary because Kontakt did not respond to MIDI Pitch Bend Range commands. Having the Notation Set at +/- 12 allowed notation programs to do things like octave portamento.

ARIA supposedly does respond to them but, I have not tested it.

Jim - got it - thanks for clearing that up...

John

Quote Originally Posted by Craig F View Post
    That was necessary because Kontakt did not respond to MIDI Pitch Bend Range commands. Having the Notation Set at +/- 12 allowed notation programs to do things like octave portamento.

ARIA supposedly does respond to them but, I have not tested it.
    Pitch Bend Range is just RPN(0,0). Kontakt 2+ can be programmed to respond to this. Not Kontakts fault, that it wasn't done.

Go Back to forum