• Register
  • Help

Topic: Routing Issue with REAPER and GPO4

Share/Bookmark

Routing Issue with REAPER and GPO4

Hi friends,

thanks for the comments on my other post. Generally I have to say that REAPER is a wonderful and easy to use tool to work with. I use it for quite a while now and I like it very much. Quite intuitive and well structured.

After upgrading to GPO 4 there is one strange effect: When routing different instruments to different channels Instr.1 to 1/2, Instr.2 to 3/4 etc.. I will get only the 1/2 track in normal mode. all others (3/4, 5/6...) seem to appear to be just the FX signal of the ambience. First hand they sound quite low and far away, if you increase the "send" level in ARIA, they become louder and you can hear that it's just the effect-signal, the original (dry) signal is somehow gone. It works when routing all tracks to 1/2.

Is that normal?

Ray
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    ...life is for living and living is free!

Re: Routing Issue with REAPER and GPO4

Quote Originally Posted by RayWindsor View Post
    ..After upgrading to GPO 4 there is one strange effect (in Reaper): When routing different instruments to different channels Instr.1 to 1/2, Instr.2 to 3/4 etc.. I will get only the 1/2 track in normal mode. all others (3/4, 5/6...) seem to appear to be just the FX signal of the ambience. First hand they sound quite low and far away, if you increase the "send" level in ARIA, they become louder and you can hear that it's just the effect-signal, the original (dry) signal is somehow gone. It works when routing all tracks to 1/2.

Is that normal?

Ray
    Hello again, Ray - Someone with more technical expertise will hopefully find this thread. I'm just starting things out.

What you've described sounds exactly opposite of what my understanding is. In the first week of the GPO4 release, a user was having problems with signal routing while trying to use Ambience. Finally the answer came - I remember it because it was news to me:

--According to the reply that user got, it was said that the wet signals of All instruments in Aria come out of the first stereo pair, 1/2. This was to make things handy for notation users.

But that would mean that sequencer users who want to use Ambience in Aria should bypass 1/2 as an instrument slot, and use it only as a master reverb bus into their DAW's mixer.

You're saying the opposite - that only the effected signals are coming out of the audio outs after 1/2. Those signals would indeed sound "low and far away," being only the amount of signal determined by the Send knobs.

That's why your post is confusing to me - it isn't jibing with the official technical response to the earlier question.

So along with you - I stand by for an explanation.

--I will add, though, that it's also been said by the developers, and I agree, that people using sequencers would normally want to Not use Ambience, and use the reverb plugins in their apps. That's what I do. I want to use Aria as simply the audio engine that pipes sound into my recording environment - Sonar.

Randy B.

Hi I'm not a REAPER user so someone will probably have a better solution.

Here is what I've done to hear other ARIA Player output than "stereo pair 1/2".
    1- Load ARIA Player(Multi) in a track (track 1).
    2- Add another track (track 2) Let's name it ARIA Outputs 3/4.
    3- Click on ARIA Player's track I/O button
    4- Add new send by selecting "2: ARIA Outputs 3/4"
    5- Set Audio: 3/4 => 1/2 and you should now hear the instrument outputting to output 3/4 in the ARIA Player.

You can send all other outputs to the same track or one stereo pair per track.

I think a track has only 2 audio channels.

Does this make sens?
    Pascal Maheux, Plogue Art et Technologie Inc.
    Montréal. http://www.plogue.com

Hi Pascal - In thread from yesterday, Ray made it clear he understands how to assign instruments to all the available audio outs. The issue he's talking about here is that he seems to be getting only the wet reverb signal in his Aria tracks - except out of the first pair, 1/2.

As I pointed out, this is exactly the opposite of what was figured out on a thread a couple of weeks ago. On that thread, we were told the wet signals for all Aria instruments are summed to the first audio out and only the DRY signals come out of the other outs.

Randy

Go Back to forum