• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: GPO4 sounds in full Kontakt? Stretch samples in Aria?

Share/Bookmark

GPO4 sounds in full Kontakt? Stretch samples in Aria?

Hi,
    I just upgraded to GPO4. I believe the ARIA engine won't let me stretch samples to improve instrument ranges. Right?

To my disappointment it seems I cannot load the GPO4 sound into full Kontakt 2 where I have this option.

Is it impossible to load the GPO4 sound into full Kontakt 2 or edit the ranges in ARIA directly? If this is the case I'm afraid I have to go back to GPO2.

Albert

Re: GPO4 sounds in full Kontakt? Stretch samples in Aria?

what samples are you trying to stretch and how far? this seems like an odd reason to switch to something else.
    -Keith Fuller

http://keithfullermusic.com
    ---
    iMac Quad i7 * MacBook Pro * Logic Studio 9 * WD 320GB & 1TB Externals@7,200RPM * Presonus Firebox * M-Audio Axiom 25 & Keystation 61 * Rode NT1-A * Epiphone Hollowbody * Fender Amp * KRK Rokit 8's

Quote Originally Posted by Albert Schnelzer View Post
    Hi,
    I just upgraded to GPO4. I believe the ARIA engine won't let me stretch samples to improve instrument ranges. Right?

To my disappointment it seems I cannot load the GPO4 sound into full Kontakt 2 where I have this option.

Is it impossible to load the GPO4 sound into full Kontakt 2 or edit the ranges in ARIA directly? If this is the case I'm afraid I have to go back to GPO2.

Albert
    Hi, Albert

You can't load GPO4 into Kontakt because the library was re-programmed specifically to use in the new Aria player.

You can keep your previous version of GPO to use in Kontakt as before, and many Garritan users will be continuing to use Kontakt or KP2 also for JABB, CMB, The Strad and The Gofriller.

There has been some discussion about editing the SFZ files GPO now uses, but it's something I've never done, so don't have details. There was a recent thread that showed the basic format for editing, and it seems likely that changing the range of instruments could be something you could edit there.

I want to add that changing the instrument ranges, in my opinion, isn't an "improvement," but rather just a change. There may be one or two exceptions, but from experience I can see that the GPO instrument ranges are the standard, practical ranges.

Try using the Forum's Advanced Search for info on editing SFZs.

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by keithjfuller- View Post
    what samples are you trying to stretch and how far? this seems like an odd reason to switch to something else.
    Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post
    I want to add that changing the instrument ranges, in my opinion, isn't an "improvement," but rather just a change. There may be one or two exceptions, but from experience I can see that the GPO instrument ranges are the standard, practical ranges.
    Hi Randy & Keith,
    sorry if I was unclear why I need the option to stretch samples.

I'm a notation based composer and have been working as a full time composer for almost ten years now. I write only for real orchestras and living musicians. My "end product" is a score and I use Finale as my main application for producing scores. Nonetheless I find it really valuable to be able to hear all notes I write. I've had the opportunity to write for some fantastic musicians during the last years and they can very often play notes outside the range of any software library. At the moment I'm composing an Oboe Concerto for what many people consider the best oboe player in the world, Francois Leleux. Needless to say he is capable of playing higher notes than any software library available...

My aim is not to produce a realistic mockup of my scores with GPO or any other library I own. I just like to be able to hear all notes I write in my score. If I can stretch the samples I can at least get something close of what my score will sound in reality.

Thanks Randy for the tip about editing SFZ files. I will search the forum and see what I can find.

Albert
    http://www.albertschnelzer.se/

You can edit the .sfz files to change the ranges. All you need to do this is a text editor such as Notepad (Windows). I'd recommend making a backup of the file first just in case you make the wrong change!

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Haydn View Post
    You can edit the .sfz files to change the ranges. All you need to do this is a text editor such as Notepad (Windows). I'd recommend making a backup of the file first just in case you make the wrong change!

Jim
    Hi Jim,
    thanks. I did open some of the .sfz files in a text editor but to be honest I haven't got a clue where to look and what to change. Would you be so kind to help or do you know where I can find information how to interpret a .sfz file?

Let's say I want to extend the range of the Solo Cello KS from C6 to E6 (to be able to play Elgar Cello Concerto! ) Where do I look and what do I change?

Thanks
    Albert

Mac Pro 2x2.8 GHz 8-core, 6 GB RAM, Mac OS 10.5.8, Finale 2010, ProTools, Logic Pro 8, Kontakt 2, GPO 4.0 and more

You would normally have to amend one of the values in the REGION clause. Changing Lokey value to a lower note/number to extend downward or HiKey value to a higher note/number to extend upward. As a WARNING, I don't know how the Garritan SFZ is put together in terms of KS, legatos, not whether there is some element of customisation that makes these files uneditable. What I can say is that Aria Player can play normal SFZ files which can be edited, so there is hope perhaps.

In absence of an expert coming forward on this and if it were me doing this, I would
    • copy my cello.sfz that I want to edit so if it all went horribly wrong, I could get back to the original.
    • Then I would find the highest HiKey value within a block of REGION statements (for cello solo eg this is hikey=84) in the file.
    • Then find all instances of that HiKey=84 value in the file and add 4 to it to extend from C6 to E6 (ie replace all the HiKey=84 with HiKey=88).
    • Save the file (making sure that notepad didn't add a .txt suffix)
    • load up and duck (in case Aria goes up in flames).

This is the best reference I am aware of on SFZ format:
    http://www.cakewalk.com/DevXchange/sfz.asp

There used to be a free editor around as well which is much easier to use than editing in notepad, but that relied on a free SFZ player which I believe is no longer available.

Thanks a million LOW! It worked!

I have to edit the region for every articulation and for every instrument but that is no big deal. I will only have to do this once.

A little question out of curiosity:
    I used the built in Text Editor in Mac OS to edit the .sfz file. When I chose "save as" I had several text formats to choose from:
    Unicode (UTF-16)
    Unicode (UTF-8)
    Western (Mac OS Roman)
    Western (Windows Latin 1)
    etc.

"Western (Mac OS Roman)" was default so I choose that one and saved. It seems to work but is it safer to choose Unicode (16 & 8)? What is the original .sfz file saved as?

Thanks again
    Albert

Hi

The ARIA SFZ file parser supports standard 7bit ASCII text files or UTF-8.
    All GPO files are of the former style.

Glad you got a good grasp on the file format so far!
    It might not be a graphical editor, but you can use find and replace and text editor macros and even scripts for fast modifications
    David Viens, Plogue Art et Technologie Inc.
    Montreal. http://www.plogue.com

Quote Originally Posted by L0W View Post
    There used to be a free editor around as well which is much easier to use than editing in notepad, but that relied on a free SFZ player which I believe is no longer available.
    Cakewalk has made it available again. It's just tough to find.

http://www.cakewalk.com/support/project5/sfz.aspx

Go Back to forum