• Register
  • Help

Topic: several questions concerning GPO4?

Share/Bookmark

Smile several questions concerning GPO4?

This is my first post on this forum, but, I have followed it occasionally for a while. I own GOS, so I received an email about GPO4- I purchased it two days later, and am very glad I did. I will probably spend most of my time in this very forum- asking for help!

Now for the questions, :

- Sibelius 6 or Finale 2010? I have never used a sequencer (yes, I am pretty new to this), and want to get the most out of it.

- What are the "Notation" samples?

- What are the 3 upside down lightbulb looking things in the bottom right corner of the Aria GUI?

- Does anyone else have a M-Audio Keystation-88? If so, any tips for using it with GPO?

For now that is all, until I have some more. Which will probably not be very long.

Thanks for any help, and thanks for GPO4.

Preston

[Edit]- I just realized that I posted in the wrong forum. I got confused. I believe this should be in the support forum.

Re: several questions concerning GPO4?

Thank you to whoever moved the post to the correct forum.

Quote Originally Posted by PrestonC View Post
    This is my first post on this forum, but, I have followed it occasionally for a while. I own GOS, so I received an email about GPO4- I purchased it two days later, and am very glad I did. I will probably spend most of my time in this very forum- asking for help!
    Hi Preston and welcome
    Now for the questions, :

- Sibelius 6 or Finale 2010? I have never used a sequencer (yes, I am pretty new to this), and want to get the most out of it.
    Neither of these are sequencers, actually. These are notation programs. You'll hear names such as Cubase, Sonar, Nuendo, Pro Tools, Digital Performer, and Logic being thrown around. Those are the sequencers.

A notation program primarily displays music in score view and will let you do a fairly adequate amount of playback tweaking. With notation programs you can polish your parts to the point that they can be printed out and performed by real players. Notation programs tend to be limited in their ability to work with audio. They usually deal in MIDI (that's how they interpret notes on the score).

A sequencer has a lot more going on under the hood to allow you to mix all sorts of audio tracks alongside virtual instruments such as GPO. High-end editing of MIDI and audio is fully integrated, as is a summing bus and effects busing.

How were you using GOS previously?

- What are the "Notation" samples?
    Notation samples have the exact same functionality as their standard counterparts but contain modified keyswitching and controller information to improve their playback within notation programs. The standard patches are arranged so that they are easily controlled while you record on a keyboard in realtime.
    - What are the 3 upside down lightbulb looking things in the bottom right corner of the Aria GUI?
    Piano pedals. Damper, sustain, and forte. The sustain is most commonly used in the MIDI world.

- Does anyone else have a M-Audio Keystation-88? If so, any tips for using it with GPO?
    I have an Axiom. In general, M-Audio stuff gets along great with MIDI work.

Since you say you are new to sequencing and digital audio, I would recommend you take a look at the primers on this site. They should help you acquire a solid baseline and hopefully cut down on your stumbling time
    http://www.tweakheadz.com/guide.htm

Best,
    Reegs

Thank you very much for the help Reegs.

You are saying that it would be good to have a notation program and a sequencer, correct? One for making your score and one for editing?

Does Sibelius host VSTi's such as GPO4?

I used GOS with Gigastudio. That was all I had were samples and Gigastudio. Now I am looking to get a notation program and a sequencer to work with GPO. So you can imagine that without a notation program, I didn't get too far.

I really want to thank Gary (which I believe is what everyone calls him on the forum) for offering a good program for an honest price. In today's world that is rare. Much appreciation and thanks to you Gary.

The notation programs and sequencers are quite expensive!!!

Is this a correct setup:
    Midi Keyboard -> Notation Program (which hosts GPO) -> Sequencer

Thanks,
    Preston

Go Back to forum