• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Need new sequencer suggestions for GPO Aria

Share/Bookmark

Need new sequencer suggestions for GPO Aria

Just discovered that I need a new sequencer in order to play and record midi with GPO, as my Reason sequencer can only be used as a slave.

I don’t intend to use any notation program, and do not want any extra synths, effects, etc. - only want a sequencer to play, edit and record midi with GPO. I feel the GPO Aria has all I might use in its controls and effects. Just want to keep it as simple as possible, without spending money on a complex DAW with many features I would not likely use.

In other words, I am looking for a decent sequencer to use exclusively with GPO Aria.

Searching the forum, I found that Reaper and MU.LAB are possible choices. They also seem to have many features I probably wouldn't use, but are inexpensive and offer trial versions, which I will explore in the next few weeks. Please comment if you use one of these programs.

Any other suggestions from forum members would be greatly appreciated.
    Wider is better.

Re: Need new sequencer suggestions for GPO Aria

Hi, Dominick - I'm sure the Reaper users here would like to tell you about how much they like using that app - I have the feeling you wouldn't find a more affordable but well made sequencer.

But I don't know why you said
    "...my Reason sequencer can only be used as a slave..." -

Your comment made me looking for Reason info, and I found this video demo of how to use the program. It looks like a normal DAW/sequencer to me - a bit more simplistic than some, but an app that works on its own without needing to be a slave.

---?

Making Music with Reason
    (click for Reason video tute)

EDIT: I should have said that I understand Reason's main function is as a VST rack, but it does have that sequencer featured in the tute.

Compatible with GPO4 - ? That I don't know.

Randy

I'm a Reaper user, and I agree with Randy -- I love it!

It is quite powerful (and has lots of features that some people will never use), but it is still pretty easy to learn. The support community on their forum is great, and the developers actually fix bugs and respond to users to help them with problems (kind of like the way the Garritan team treats us).
    Best Regards,
    Ernie

Quote Originally Posted by dominick View Post
    ...as simple as possible, without spending money on a complex DAW with many features I would not likely use.
    There's a $40 Cakewalk sequencer called "Music Creator" that might well fit your need. It possesses a surprisingly high percentage of the powers of their expensive Sonar, including VST hosting. Layout and work flow are what has now become "traditional", like Sonar's.

Quote Originally Posted by lallis View Post
    There's a $40 Cakewalk sequencer called "Music Creator" that might well fit your need. It possesses a surprisingly high percentage of the powers of their expensive Sonar, including VST hosting. Layout and work flow are what has now become "traditional", like Sonar's.
    Good call, Lallis!--Being a long time Cakewalk user, I wanted to investigate the details about Music Creator. Impressive!

Dominick, here's the Cakewalk site, page open to the specs on Music Creator:

http://www.cakewalk.com/products/musiccreator/specs.asp

It really is only $40. AND I would highly recommend using a little patience and getting the boxed version rather than the download - it has more content, and a customer might as well get the whole kit and kaboodle.

So that's another one to consider.

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post
    It really is only $40. AND I would highly recommend using a little patience and getting the boxed version rather than the download
    Actually, it's only $35 if downloaded. The few extras in the boxed set are not worth even 5 bucks to me, so download was the way to go. Dominick might agree or not with that, depending on what he's got already.

--Larry
    _______

Quote Originally Posted by lallis View Post
    Actually, it's only $35 if downloaded. The few extras in the boxed set are not worth even 5 bucks to me, so download was the way to go. Dominick might agree or not with that, depending on what he's got already.

--Larry
    _______
    Hiya, Larry - You're right, if Dominick wanted to get into the Cakewalk world with this great intro, the download could be enough since he said his main concern is to work with GPO.

If you go to the Cakewalk page, Dom, you'll see that the features shaved off the download version are all the audio loops, synth sounds are reduced to 50 instead of 150, there are fewer drum patterns, and the tutes are online instead of part of the download.

Those are items you may not be interested in now - BUT it's only $5 difference, less than the cost of one meal!

It's probably a bit old fashioned of me, but for my major apps, I really prefer having a hard copy that I can see, feel, easily re-install. I think it's not a bad idea to leave room for expansion too - you might find yourself wanting to try things like Forum member Ron Rolifer who does such great things mixing synth sounds with orchestra.

One more plug for Cakewalk - there are inexpensive add-ons they list, like the Studio Instruments package which I think is excellent - the Bass guitar in that ensemble has become my main Bass. The Electric piano is really good too, with a wide variety of possible sounds. The Strings in that package can assist in beefing up your string sections too.

Lunker - come back and tell Dom more about Reaper. I think it has more tracks available than Music Creator 5, and has perhaps a more straight-ahead approach, without the synths and effects?

Randy

I have been user of Cakewalk products from long time ago. Last years i have been using Music Creator because some shipping issues to where i live, and since you can download it, there is no problem there.
    The major limitation you will have with Music Creator, is the 8 VSTi limit. But since GPO have Multi-outputs is not an issue (suppose you insert 8 GPO instances, you can have 8x16=128 individual outputs, and you know that most times users use ensembles in the same channel).
    But, i must say, i dont use Music Creator anymore. The last version was for me a step back. It´s very nice in serveral aspects, but the GUI, the user interface, has been simplifyed too much. If you will have more than 10 tracks on screen, you will need to scroll-up-down constantly, since the minimum height is too big. Is a stupid issue, but no way to change it. I feel better with the previous version, that allow me to see 30 or more tracks at same time.
    Another issue that make me change the thing was the support of Staff/score edition. It is the same in Music Creator than in the Sonar full application, so if you upgrade, there is no difference. Im not asking about a Finale/Sibelius fine edition, but the score edition is too basic, nothing to do with Cubase or Samplitude.
    So, after investigating a little i bought Samplitude Music Studio 15, $79, downloable. It has some limits (the 8 VSTi too, the workaround i said about Music Creator applyes here too) but the Score edition is very nice, at least to my tast, and it have some advanced audio edition, and tempo management that make me think if this guys know what are they giving for so little money.

The good thing about Reaper, and Samplitude (any version) is you can download it and try.
    Music Creator is nice too, and if you are looking for something more simple (the main difference with sonar, beyond the interface now, is it only can record two channels at once and the 8VSTi limit) can be for you. No demo, but for so few money, you can loose too much.
    Marcelo Colina

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post

EDIT: I should have said that I understand Reason's main function is as a VST rack, but it does have that sequencer featured in the tute.

Compatible with GPO4 - ? That I don't know.

Randy
    Sorry Randy, you have that wrong. Reason is a self contained workstation. it does not host anything, plugins or vsts, nor can you import audio into it. the only thing it accepts from outside is midi. All the synths and effects are modules within the program.

Propellerhead have just released their new 'Record' software, which is meant for recording, and to be integrated into Reason as a more traditional DAW...

@Dominic - as a registered Reason ownder, you can buy Record at a very cheap price - it also has the side effect that if you load Reason INTO Recorder, the interface become bigger (for some reason, (oops) Reason only used about two thirds of the screen left to right...this broadens Reason making it somewhat easier to see.

Hi, Sakari - Thanks for helping me out. I've heard Reason mentioned many times of course, but I didn't go to their website to look into it until this morning.

I used the wrong word, Reason isn't a host for VSTs, but for virtual instruments and effects designed especially for it. As it says on their website:

"...Synthesizers, samplers, drum machine, REX file loop player, professional mastering tools, mixer, vocoder, world class effects, pattern sequencer and more. As many of each as your computer can handle..."

And now that it has a sequencer, as demoed in that video, it looks to be a pretty hip program.

Quote Originally Posted by sakari.lindhen View Post
    Sorry Randy, you have that wrong. Reason is a self contained workstation. it does not host anything...All the synths and effects are modules within the program.
    Right, it hosts all those "ReFills" programmed for it. This concept of being a closed system with only specific things compatible with it is a good sales approach, but I prefer the approach of most DAWs where instruments are universally compatible. Lots of interesting stuff available for Reason though!

Randy

Go Back to forum