• Register
  • Help

Topic: GPO4, Vista64/Windows7-64, soundcard recommendation?

Share/Bookmark

GPO4, Vista64/Windows7-64, soundcard recommendation?

Any advice on which sound cards I should look at to currently run GPO4 on Windows XP 32-bit, and then later Windows 7 64-bit after it's released?

Should I get an internal card or an external one that connects to a USB 2.0 or FireWire port?

Are any of the Creative Labs X-Fi soundcards good enough? I'd also like to play games on my computer, so that would be a benefit.

Is it simple enough to have an internal soundcard for games and also use a high-fidelity external soundcard for GPO4 when I'm recording?

Thank you for any help.

Re: GPO4, Vista64/Windows7-64, soundcard recommendation?

Quote Originally Posted by jleabres View Post
    Any advice on which sound cards I should look at to currently run GPO4 on Windows XP 32-bit, and then later Windows 7 64-bit after it's released?
    Hi,

No one has drivers for 7 yet, but most manufacturers will likely have them out within a year of W7's release.

Should I get an internal card or an external one that connects to a USB 2.0 or FireWire port?
    Internal cards are nice whenever practical, giving slightly better latency performance and reliability for the price. Do you envision yourself using a laptop in the future and desiring to do any location recording or mobile composing? Then a peripheral option may work better. I'd recommend FW over USB, provided you can get a genuine Texas Instruments Firewire Chipset card to put in your PC (runs about $35). The other nice thing about the peripherals is that all of their connections are within arm's reach.

Are any of the Creative Labs X-Fi soundcards good enough? I'd also like to play games on my computer, so that would be a benefit.
    A lot of people don't like the creative cards. They used to resample everything to 48khz on the card, I'm not sure if that has changed. That said, they also used to have decent enough low-latency ASIO support and would serve the job if are just getting into the digital audio scene.

Is it simple enough to have an internal soundcard for games and also use a high-fidelity external soundcard for GPO4 when I'm recording?
    Yes.

Quick question. PCI or Firewire?

I am using a USB 2.0 M-Audio Fast Track Ultra. I love this card. They are working to get the Win7 drivers ready for the release of Win7 (which I am going to wait on for a while until they get the kinks worked out).

I have had no problem with GPO4 and this card. Works great so far.

Nevertheless, you might want to check out their website, http://www.m-audio.com/. They have been bought by a company called AVID who also purchased Siblelius- don't know if this is a good thing.

There are many different sound cards, and there is a lot of information about them on the net- reviews and what not.

I know that people prefer firewire due to stability when playing large ensembles, etc., but I have not had any problems so far and I have not heard of many who have using USB 2.0. I may not be entirely correct though. When you get a firewire card you need a Texas Instruments chipset for the firewire. You cannot or at least should not plug it into the motherboard- you need a seperate PCI card with the TI chipset.

Also, I play games too. Been playing AoC, Oblivion, Everlight, etc., and the sound is not a problem.

jleabres, I'm using a Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty PCI-e sound card with Windows 7 64-bit. It's outstanding for gaming, but not particularly good for audio creation/editing, in my opinion.

The only sound cards I've seen recently that are highly-recommended for audio and aren't ridiculously expensive are the HT | Omega line. There are a bunch of different models on NewEgg here: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...e&Order=RATING. The only negative remark I've read so far is that the audio is so clear that you'll hear the "loss" in any compressed audio (MP3s, etc.). But that's probably not a negative for audio creation.
    Maybe I should have come up with a more original username.

Go Back to forum