• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Serious Sonar 8PE/GPO4 Problem

Share/Bookmark

Serious Sonar 8PE/GPO4 Problem

>>We are aware of the Sonar GUI issues and are talking to engineers at Cakewalk to see how best to address this.<<

Dear David (Plogue) and All,

Further to your comment in another bug thread, could you elaborate on what you mean by 'the Sonar GUI Issues'. Does this include a very nasty bug/problem I am getting as described below?

1. Working with Sonar Production Edition, latest v8.3.1. Only 6 tracks for a string quartet and piano so far.
    2. Using GPO4 exclusively, standard sound sets, and Violin Solo KS and Viola Solo KS patches give problem.
    3. Working in Piano Roll View, with SOLO on track being edited. Adding KS notes, CC#21 length, CC#64 sustain and note overlap tweaks.
    4. All's well until a totally random high-pitched, FULL volume note shatters my concentration and ears!
    5. Last time had problem, all I did was scroll PRV back a few measures and about to hit play. Time before, all I remember was working in one area of PRV and hitting Play. Not consistent.
    6. Get a sound problem dialog box but no time to gather details. So worried about my Mackie monitors! Accepting error dialog does not kill sound. So I wind down the hardware volume control to min (thank God for separate controls on monitors).
    7. Still dazed (happened three times now) and found that either closing Sonar kills sound, or doing a Save (Ctrl-S). The latter was last time, so maybe a hint here?
    8. Last event left me with PC unable to shutdown or reboot. sonarprd.exe file reported by Windoze to be 'not responding', although Sonar already shutdown. Time before, the PC rebooted itself.
    9. Random thought tells me maybe the Sonar Auto-save is part of problem, so disabled that now to continue work. If problem hits me again today I will update message.

Q1: Is this a known problem? Sonar GUI/Aria issue? Something else?
    Q2: Any suggestions on what I can do to avoid this VERY nasty bug?

Look forward to any help. Running Windows XP Pro on Intel Quad Q9450 PC. 4GB RAM.
    Last edited by RichardHK; 08-20-2009 at 11:33 PM. Reason: Added note tweaking...
    Richard
    Hong Kong
    ---------------
    Sonar 8PE, EWQLSO, GPO4, M-tron, Omnisphere, & VSM.
    Fantom XR and Radias modules.

Re: Serious Sonar 8PE/GPO4 Problem

Hmmm, it's possible that something I've had happen a few times is related. This is Sonar 8.3.1, Studio, with Aria:

--I'll be recording in a track, I've stopped to do something, when I start again a loud note from a totally different track will blast out for a split second.

The random note from the wrong track isn't as loud as what Richard describes, and it hasn't caused any crashes. It's just been a jolting surprise several times now - and only when working with Aria.

Randy
    (Vista)

No, i dont think it a related issue.

could you send an example cwp file that reproduces this to our support team
    (same address as the report technical issue application).
    David Viens, Plogue Art et Technologie Inc.
    Montreal. http://www.plogue.com

Quote Originally Posted by David (plogue) View Post
    No, i dont think it a related issue.

could you send an example cwp file that reproduces this to our support team
    (same address as the report technical issue application).
    Hi David,

Thanks for reply. As requested I can send CWP file for analysis. Have done another few hours work with no problems since I disabled Auto-Save function. Strange that it might well be related.

Look forward to some clarity on this bug. Quite a frightening experience!

Note: I have the last Auto-Save file that was only a matter of minutes before disaster struck. Will email that and latest file, with Auto-Save enabled too.

STOP PRESS: David. Where do I find info on your support guys? Been to your company website which does not mention Aria. Looked around garritan.com and nothing obvious. Can send by private email to youif attachments are Ok.
    Richard
    Hong Kong
    ---------------

(same address as the report technical issue application) :
    aria.support AT plogue.com
    Pascal Maheux, Plogue Art et Technologie Inc.
    Montréal. http://www.plogue.com

Quote Originally Posted by pascalM View Post
    (same address as the report technical issue application) :
    aria.support AT plogue.com
    Thanks Pascal,
    Message and file just sent. Look forward to some feedback, after a great weekend break I guess.
    Richard
    Richard
    Hong Kong
    ---------------

David, Pascal, other.

No feedback yet on this problem. Sent Sonar project file ten days ago.

Is it an Aria fix to come? Or have you put it down to user error? Still not had repeat since disabling auto-save, but also limiting my PRV editing too.

Another possibility is good ole fashioned audio feedback (aggravated by Aria issue?). Or by the multi/duplicate MIDI channel assignments in several tracks caused by cut n pasting inside Sonar. On the latter, Sonar tracks force channels to that given for each track 'when' they run. But while stopped in PRV editing mode, is it possible that such channel confusion could trouble Aria? File sent has this garbage info inside which I have since cleaned up.

Any pointers?
    Richard
    Hong Kong
    ---------------

Bonjour!

Over two weeks now. Any news?

And still no answer on my original query over what 'specifically' do you (Plogue) mean by the 'Sonar GUI issues' with Aria. Users do not like to guess what an issue is.

Any chance for feedback?
    Richard
    Hong Kong
    ---------------

Richard - Look at the 3rd post from the last page on this thread:

http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/...t=68614&page=3

There's a test upgrade patch that DavidV from Plogue posted which may address several Aria/Sonar issues. Maybe it will help with the problems you've been having.

Randy

Merci Randy!

I have grabbed file and will install for a measure of added confidence! Being very gentle with Aria while awaiting comments from Plogue. Good to get an update, as shows we do have issues out there. Hoping Sonar's upcoming v9 update doesn't add a bundle of new bugs. Though sure it will.

Received no comment at all from Plogue, hence my concerns. As noted above I think I may have got around feedback issue by sorting out the Sonar channel junk I found after cut n pasting several tracks. Sonar's track channel priority may not work for Aria, but just my guess.

Richard
    Richard
    Hong Kong
    ---------------

Go Back to forum