• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: MAC requirements

Share/Bookmark

MAC requirements

I have found on the Garritan web site suggested system parameters but not system requirements.

I am running MAC OS 10.4 on a powerPC machine. I would love to upgrade to GPO4 but am not willing to go through the trouble right now of upgrading both my hardware and OS particularly as I have two separate systems and New York is drenched in humidity. (Actually, I did not upgrade to Leapard because there was a problem with KP2)

Anyway can anyone tell me whether I can expect at least as efficient processing using aria/GPO4 as I get with KP2/GPO on my system?

AND will it even work with PowerPC hardware and MAC OS 10.4.

Thanks,

Ed

Re: MAC requirements

Hi

I am using a G5 Power PC iMac with 10.4.11 and ARIA GPO4 runs fine,
    VERY resource friendly in fact..

Although I am a new GPO user and have no experience with KP 2, from reading between the lines of other posts, I think you should find much improved performance with the ARIA player compared to KP 2.

Cheers
    Tuch

I had similar concerns, but I went ahead and downloaded it today. Very preliminary results, but they are very good results. I used ARIA through Sibelius, and did it with a piece that uses four guitars. With the KP2, the piece choked on the 4 JABB guitars; same if I used harps. With ARIA, however, I was able to use 4 harps, with one tiny hiccup. Keep in mind that with the overlapping/overringing notes that harps (and guitars) are very resource intensive. Also, there are passages in the piece I tried where each harp is play 4,5 or 6 notes - sometimes more than 20, total. Still no problem! I know that ARIA wasn't optimized for single cpus, but it is a definite improvement in performance, from my limited experience.

THANKS GARY and THE TEAM THAT DEVELOPED THIS (and yes, I mean to shout!).

My specs:
    iMac, G5, 1.8 ghz, 2G Ram

The only remaining question is how it will perform under Sibelius 6. I don't expect it to be too different - Sibelius has always been pretty cpu friendly.
    Will report when I get 6 installed in a few weeks. It will be nice, too, when the soundset for ARIA is developed ( I hear it's in the offing).

Hope this is of some help.
    Ron Pearl

ronaldmpearl.com

myspace:

http://myspace.com/rmpearl

It's a typo, I think. You don't need a processor nearly that fast.

As far as I know, Aria is lighter on your processor that Kontakt Player 2. So, if your computer runs Kontakt 2 or 3 (GPO v3), it should have no problem with Aria.

Thanks all.

I should have said I have dual 1.25 GHZ processors on both my systems.

It does sound like I should expect no less and probably more efficiency.

Ed

People have been asking why our requirements are so high when ARIA will work of systems of lower requirements.

Have you ever purchased software based on "system requirements" only to discover it works at a snails pace on your system (i f at all)? I have. You call tech support and they tell you it works but you were not smart enough to buy a faster machine for better performance. You are out your money and have an under-performing software.

We did not want that to happen to anyone and we wanted all users to have a good experience. So it made sense to raise the bars a little higher to avoid disappointing anyone.

So our system requirements are for a good experience. And if people have lesser systems and want to take a risk, they may get good performance but we did not want to raise undue expectations.

I think this approach is the right thing to do. What say you?

Gary

Gary,

You are of course correct. However, consider this: using GPO, or any other library has always been a sliding scale of how many instruments could play at once without choking. I think the way these things are usually stated is to put minimum specs, along with specs for optimal performance. I am getting as good - or better - performance with ARIA than I did before. But, I doubt I wold have paid full price for something that appeared to be too much for my system; for the $49 upgrade, I was willing to take a chance.

Great product. Just think you could state that lower performance machines can make this work. I think everyone understands that at some point, their systems will max out. It's just where that line is, reasonably speaking.
    Ron Pearl

ronaldmpearl.com

myspace:

http://myspace.com/rmpearl

Quote Originally Posted by Garritan View Post
    So our system requirements are for a good experience. And if people have lesser systems and want to take a risk, they may get good performance but we did not want to raise undue expectations.

I think this approach is the right thing to do. What say you?
    Hi Gary,

This does make perfect sense from a P.R. / marketing perspective (and for the side of the product "box" so-to-speak), but I don't think it would hurt to post real-world CPU requirements here in the forum. I would find it hard to believe the only macs you ("you" meaning your development and beta team) tested this on were Intel CPUs.

Just some feedback. Seems the forum threads will take care of this issue eventually (maybe even a sticky), but an official posting would certainly help clear up a lot of doubt and confusion.

Quote Originally Posted by qbert View Post
    Hi Gary,

This does make perfect sense from a P.R. / marketing perspective (and for the side of the product "box" so-to-speak), but I don't think it would hurt to post real-world CPU requirements here in the forum. I would find it hard to believe the only macs you ("you" meaning your development and beta team) tested this on were Intel CPUs.

Just some feedback. Seems the forum threads will take care of this issue eventually (maybe even a sticky), but an official posting would certainly help clear up a lot of doubt and confusion.
    qbert,

We tested on a number of macs (PPC and Intel) during development. some of our beta testers also had PPCs. Mac Intels work best and deliver the best performance. PPcs did not perform as well. That's what happened in our real-world tests. Also, results will depend on the sound card, RAM and other factors as well.

So we go on the side of caution. We would rather everyone have a good experience than take people's hard-earned money and hope they get acceptable results.

Best,

Gary

Go Back to forum